TigerTanker

Pre Ride Routine/Stretching/Diet/Nutrition/Hydration

@Coach Robb

Apologies if you've gone over this like a million times....

I currently take a few advil/tylenol before riding. I'll try to eat a decent sized breakfast, traditional style of eggs toast hashbrowns etc.... Before I take off on bike, I'll guzzle a Gatorade and then try to drink a Gatorade every 60-120 minutes, have one V8 drink, and one cliff bar every 2-3 hours. Combined with some exercising of legs (all muscles), and barbells and push ups for upper body, my susceptibility for cramping has greatly subsided and I have really reduced arm pump early ride upper body fatigue. But, that is in the Winter now, and the real test comes during spring and summer when the rides start going for 8-12 hrs at a time.

I'm 51 yrs old, 220 lbs (about 10-20lbs too much I feel). I have quit drinking for 4 months and exercise pretty seriously 5-6 days per week. My work outs are low/medium intensity. My riding is intense to very intense enduro. During the 4 months, I gained 5 pounds, have gained more muscle definition. I'm disappointed that I'm not losing weight, though I suspect that my evening sugar craving/like a shark frenzy has something to do with all of this? I'm normally not a sweet tooth but anything bad looks really good these days.   

I feel like I've got 80% of the equation figured out, but assume you can spot instantly what I should do different, or add to what I'm doing?

A couple questions if I may?

• When I (and others I've observed) drink water instead of Gatorade, I get cramps that are nearly life threatening with pain in my inner thighs. Why?
  • Are cliff bars good bad or ugly? Is there something better?
  • What is the best food for the night before, morning of?
  • Bananas, V8 good?

Thank you for reading my post!

• Like 1

Regarding the cramping my totally unscientific guess is you are not hydrating enough before the ride.

How much water are you drinking per day before the ride?  Try upping it and check your results. 

• Like 1

This works for me...

Water is best for rides two hours or less, as long as your salt/potassium balance is good. If you sweat a lot, add some salt to your food, but a balanced diet should give you want you need.

Like bkoz said, be sure that you are hydrated before the ride. Be sure the tank is full when you start! Once you begin to cramp it is too hard to catch up to your fluid needs, so it is all over. BTW: Pickle juice, mustard, salt tables will not give any immediate relief.
I liked a Cytomax mix to drink when I raced Mt. bikes, with a gel pack every 20 minutes or so.

You are not drinking enough water. You need to be drinking a minimum of a galllon per day and that’s the reccomendation for the average human putting average physical strain on their body in average temperatures.  Riding hard enduro for 8-12 hours in the summer time, you should be drinking at least 1.5 gallons of water the day before riding and keep drinking continually while riding.    You need to be drinking water the day before you ride.  When you drink water your body isn’t instantly hydrated.   If you have a 12 hour ride on Saturday, you better have at least 1 to 1.5 gallons of water down on Friday, and continue to drink up to and through the ride.  If you don’t drink water on Friday, wake up Saturday and chug a gallon of water and go riding, you will not be hydrated. 

Stay away from Gatorade. That crap has tons of sugar. Stay away from all sugar and you will lose lbs fast and feel generally better.  

Like others have said if your diet is in check all you need is water.  You can also try hydration tablets with your water which have electrolytes and help with water retention.  Salt tablets also help with water retention. 

So many people underestimate how much water their bodies actually need.   One thing I was taught when I was younger that I’ll always carry with me...Every time you pee if it isn’t clear you need to drink more water 

Seriously, Gatorade is &%$#@!ing garbage, stay away from it. 

Edited by MixinGasKickinAss
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

[mention=404843]Coach Robb[/mention]
I currently take a few advil/tylenol before riding. I'll try to eat a decent sized breakfast, traditional style of eggs toast hashbrowns etc.... Before I take off on bike, I'll guzzle a Gatorade and then try to drink a Gatorade every 60-120 minutes, have one V8 drink, and one cliff bar every 2-3 hours. Combined with some exercising of legs (all muscles), and barbells and push ups for upper body, my susceptibility for cramping has greatly subsided and I have really reduced arm pump early ride upper body fatigue. But, that is in the Winter now, and the real test comes during spring and summer when the rides start going for 8-12 hrs at a time.

I'm 51 yrs old, 220 lbs (about 10-20lbs too much I feel). I have quit drinking for 4 months and exercise pretty seriously 5-6 days per week. My work outs are low/medium intensity. My riding is intense to very intense enduro. During the 4 months, I gained 5 pounds, have gained more muscle definition. I'm disappointed that I'm not losing weight, though I suspect that my evening sugar craving/like a shark frenzy has something to do with all of this? I'm normally not a sweet tooth but anything bad looks really good these days.   
I feel like I've got 80% of the equation figured out, but assume you can spot instantly what I should do different, or add to what I'm doing?
  • When I (and others I've observed) drink water instead of Gatorade, I get cramps that are nearly life threatening with pain in my inner thighs. Why?
  • Bananas, V8 good?

I definitely pop Advil’s before I ride too!!!

Tiger,

First thing I would change is replacing tylenol with ibuprofen (if you tolerate ibuprofen well). Ibuprofen is both an analgesic and an anti-inflammatory. Tylenol is only an analgesic. Also less liver damage risk with ibuprofen.

Like the other posters say, more hydration during the days leading up to the ride. Hydration first thing in the morning of the ride. Water throughout (. Low sugar athletic drink once every couple hours if you ride 2 or more hours, but water in between. 20-25 oz of water an hour is about all your body will accept and is a good target for most conditions on a dirt bike. You are a big guy and ride in some hot conditions, so 25 oz for you may be about perfect.

Diet needs to include foods that give you the athletic dietary requirement of calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Easy to look that up. Easy to take a multivitamin if you don't think you are meeting those needs. 

That should do it.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 12:02 PM, TigerTanker said:

@Coach Robb

• Bananas, V8 good?

There are a few things that going to help with cramps. Most important is hydration. You should be drinking half your body weight in oz to keep on a daily. For you at 220 you should drink 110 oz daily. For every 30min of intense exercise add another 6-8oz on top. Drinking Gator aid is all right while you're exercising to replenish lost salts and electrolytes. But keep in mind that too much salt is bad and not enough is bad. You need to find a balance. The V8 you drink is loaded with salt. The cliff bars I'm going on a limb to say it has a lot as well. The reason you need salt to begin with is that it helps cells retain water.

Some things to keep in mind when keeping hydrated is your body can only process so much water at a time. If you eat first, your body will digest the food first then liquids. A good compromise here to consider is smoothies. You can get your fibre and minerals your body needs in an easy to digest way. You want to keep a steady intake of water. I'm sure you have a hydration pack of some sort. Try to be mindful of taking a drink from it when your not concerned with the task of riding.ie when you're just cruising the trail. Instead of stopping when your thirsty.  

You've noticed that the cramping has gone with exercise. This is bc you're building muscle. The stronger the muscle the less cramping bc the muscle is not working as hard to do the same amount of work. If your thighs are cramping I suggest you concentrate on that area to build up the muscles. 

Stretching. As we age we lose muscle mass and they shrink. As you build them back up its important to stretch them to help with blood flow and flexibility. If you're muscles are tense and stiff it will decrease your range of motion and make you more susceptible to cramps and injury bc it's working harder than it needs to.

Taking a multi vitamin is a good thing as well. Some don't like to bc say it just makes expensive pee. It does somewhat bc whatever your body doesn't need it ll pass through your urine. Your body still absorbs what it needs and passes the rest. Instead of this you might want to get  some blood work done to find exactly what you're low on. One thing I can almost guarantee you're low on is magnesium. 75% of males don't get enough. A good supplement for this is ZMA. It's a mix of zinc, magnesium and B vitamin. It's meant as a recovery supplement. 

And remember you need to get enough sleep and recovery time. If you work out one day and hard enduro the next, you're not giving your body enough time to recover. Especially at 51 this is important. If you're constantly over taxing your body, the cramping will not go away as easily. I learned this one the hard way, when I got back in the gym.

Sorry about the long reply. I hope it helps. Oh and BTW you gained 5 lbs but have more muscle definition? Yep, that's all muscle mass you gained.:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1

On 2/11/2019 at 9:02 AM, TigerTanker said:

1) I currently take a few advil/tylenol before riding.

2)I'll try to eat a decent sized breakfast, traditional style of eggs toast hashbrowns etc....

1) STOP!! That stuff is ok for an occasional bout of inflammation, but it comes at a cost to your liver and endocrine system. Take turmeric instead.

2) Recipe for a carb/insulin/blood sugar crash. No wonder your craving sugar. Nix the toast and hash browns, add bacon and cantaloupe. If your cooking your hash browns in PUFA's, it's only driving the inflammation/advil cycle.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:02 AM, TigerTanker said:
  • Bananas, V8 good?

Your carb heavy diet is a recipe for mineral depletion. When I do hot yoga, I add grey sea salt and magnesium chloride to my water. Doesn't taste the greatest, but I don't cramp.

Cliff bars are grain, grain is bad. Lara Bars are grain free and are all natural, pronounceable, two syllable ingredients.

Same thing you eat every day; High fat, low carb, moderate protein natural food. I usually have my normal coffee with heavy cream, a few strips of bacon and maybe half a green banana. Green because I want resistant starches, not sugar. Simple starch digests in your stomach and spikes your blood sugar, resistant starches digest in your small intestine and produce medium chain fatty acids. Endurance athletes burn fat, not sugar.

Green bananas, yes. V-8, no. The only good things that come in cans and bottles is water, beer and wine. Bottled juice is so much just like soda pop you should treat is as such.

• Helpful 1

On 2/11/2019 at 8:03 PM, bkoz said:

Regarding the cramping my totally unscientific guess is you are not hydrating enough before the ride.

How much water are you drinking per day before the ride?  Try upping it and check your results. 

Cramping isn't necessarily related to lack of water. 

Get your blood tested, and avoid most of the advice of what's offered. No one single meal plan works for everyone. Some say low carb, others say not. Truth being most 'performance' athletes eat virtually whatever the heck they want as long as its clean eating. 

Drinking more water is not a simple answer as everyone sweats different, and at a different rate.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Couchfit6 said:

Cramping isn't necessarily related to lack of water. 

Often it is a potassium or magnesium deficiency.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Couchfit6 said:

Some say low carb, others say not. Truth being most 'performance' athletes eat virtually whatever the heck they want as long as its clean eating.

Endurance athletes eat low carb, because that is what keeps your metabolism in the fat burning zone.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/

2 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Endurance athletes eat low carb, because that is what keeps your metabolism in the fat burning zone.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/

No, endurance athletes eat whatever the heck they want, generally clean wholesome food. Their bodies are more adapted to switching from carbs to fats as a fuel source.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:31 AM, woods-rider said:

No coffee the morning of a ride.

Are you nuck'n futs? How can a body live with out coffee?????

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Couchfit6 said:

No, endurance athletes eat whatever the heck they want, generally clean wholesome food. Their bodies are more adapted to switching from carbs to fats as a fuel source.

Not only is that not what I said, your retort about carbs is pure fiction.

If making insulin is more important than making HGH, IGH1 and testosterone, knock yourself out, kiddo. :thumbsup:

(You haven't read the link, because it takes longer than it took for your reply.) :lol:

Edited by Beta300recat

Part of my routine is drinking coconut milk with whey protein every day. Been doing that for about 4 months. 

My right calf is surprisingly not rebuilding as fast as I’d hoped though I exercise that calf rigorously each day. 

I suspect more and more that these whey shakes and centrum multi vitamins are worthless.  

I have worried that taking 4-8 pills per day might be bad, therefore I mix them all up. Advil, bayer, neproxin, alleve etc. Thinking of stopping and using only bengay 

My long program has yielded good results though in some areas. My shoulders have strengthened significantly and I’ve gone from 60% to 90% functionality.