Hey so here's the scenarios I'm looking at:

Truck1: Bed length about 70-74"

Truck2: Bed length 60.5"

Tailgate height, maybe 33-34"? Kind of high compared to some trucks, but not the highest out there

Loading bikes from 230-330 lbs.

Me: not strong

So what ramp is best? I want to load it without worrying about dropping the bike even as an amateur. So I'm thinking a wide ramp is probably best so I can walk alongside the bike. Some of these ramps are so long the tailgate would have to be down even though the long bed Tacoma can fit the dirt bike in with the tailgate up. Is it a big downside to have to drive with the tailgate down?

So far I'm looking at ramps like this: 

https://amzn.to/2WVa3cl Ramp has big holes. I worry about stepping through a hole when I'm walking alongside my bike up the ramp.

http://www.caliberproductsinc.com/snowmobile-trailer-accessories/MotoRampPro.php Ramp is really long, maybe heavy?

Please give your suggestions, especially if it's an easy way to safely load the bike.

Edited by pontoon

Just get a regular folding ramp unless you have a lifted truck or you’re short and inflexible. It’s not hard, push the bike up the ramp till the front wheel is in the truck then turn the bars hold the front brake and step into the bed. The longer the ramp the better, they all fold to under 5’ anyway. 

Rarely will you see a double wide ramp in a dirt bike staging area in my experience. You don’t wanna look like a wuss right?

It’s ok if I look like a wuss. I had a loading accident in the past and don’t want to repeat it. It was very scary, had a finger trapped with my bike below me out of reach, finger under a strap connected to the dirt bike. The tri fold ramps don’t go under 5 feet. 

22 minutes ago, Padilen said:

Definitely not using that for a 330 lbs bike. I actually have a Versa Haul VH 55 and hate these hitch haulers after a while. I just want to transport the bike in the bed. 

I prefer regular 2x6,  2x8 or 2x10 boards. 6-10 FT or however long. 1 for the bike and 1 for you to walk up. Too easy. Grip tape on the board helps safety. I put the boards about 1 foot apart
If you go this route, add the ramp "ends" that sit on tailgate edge. - Also, always have something holding the ramp(s) so it can't slip out. I screw an eyelet into the boards with a strap hooked to the bumper or something.
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-80439-Aluminum-Ramp-Top/dp/B01MQVYNTS

RAmpEnds.PNG.853530e2bb274cc992326611a8c6afd9.PNG

• Like 1

Just ride the bike up into the truck!!

OK, I don't actually recommend that. I tried it for awhile, but after a particular long day of riding I did something wrong and stopped on the ramp and ended up falling off with my bike falling on top of me.  Hurt my shoulder, and especially hurt my pride since my buddies were standing there watching!

But just get a single width folding ramp.  Or get a non-folding ramp, there's nothing wrong with driving with your tailgate down.  I'm 5' 8" and drove a Frontier with a 2" lift, I was always able to load by pushing it as far as I could, holding the front brake while climbing up on the tailgate, and then pushing it the rest of the way in.  I've also seen people put a stool or dirt bike stand next to the ramp and step on that while their pushing the bike in.

I’m not so confident when it comes to a DR650 given my height and my truck’s height. The KTM, sure, it’s 230lbs. The DR is 330 lbs. I weigh 130lbs or less. 5’7”. Is there some sort of problem with the really wide ramps? Just a cool factor thing??

1 hour ago, pontoon said:

I’m not so confident when it comes to a DR650 given my height and my truck’s height. The KTM, sure, it’s 230lbs. The DR is 330 lbs. I weigh 130lbs or less. 5’7”. Is there some sort of problem with the really wide ramps? Just a cool factor thing??

There isn't a problem with the wide ramps other than they're more expensive upfront and heavier to move around.  There probably is a cool factor, but anyone with any maturity won't think so.

4 hours ago, pontoon said:

I was just joking about the looking like a wuss thing. The thing with the full width ramps is they’re big and heavy, expensive and annoying to set up. The downside to driving with the tailgate down is pretty obvious, your stuff can fall out the back (including your bike if your tie downs fail) so you have to then tie down the ramp, gas can, and anything else in the bed. I don’t like running tailgate down and would get a bed extender if I had a 5ft bed.

You don’t need a full width, you can use a regular ramp and a bike stand as a stool to step into the bed if you’re short. 

But it sounds like you’re set on getting a full width ramp. If you don’t feel safe with anything else there’s nothing more to be said really.

For full width I’d get something that folds length-wise so you can fit it with the tailgate closed, like this. If I had that ramp I would hook up a strap and ride my bike in every time, I don’t ride up single width cause mines not rated for the weight and you can’t put your feet down, the full width doesn’t have those issues.

https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-bike-ramp/p/AF-9034-HD/?CAWELAID=820562990000010264&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-onjBRDSARIsAEZXcKYn6Bme2lj567lF8wLH-db-quB0tkSGCnzb8-eqnRtEef7tXikxdv8aAq9qEALw_wcB

Check out Readyramp.com for a long ramp/bed extender.  They are little pricy but you get a ramp and bed extender in one and they are great for my short 5.5' bed on my F150 crewcab.  Found the best deal on ebay.

I got some ramps from a Sears going out of business sale.  They are made by Ohio Steel and fold.  For my dirt bike I only need one ramp.  I secure it to my truck also with a winch strap to the hitch.  I also bring a milk carton to stand up on.  I never ride the bike up the ramp.

Also I've loaded the bike with no ramps before.  But that required a helped.

https://sleequipment.com/ohio-steel-1084a-premium-arched-aluminum-ramps.html

Edited by wazzabie

IMG_0001.JPG
Once you find the right ramp length for your truck, I’d suggest adding something like this to the ramp face. This really helped with the loading. Before this the bike would get slightly hung up between the rungs and totally kill the momentum on the run into the bed.

• Like 1

IMG_0001.thumb.JPG.ea9bbb265cdbb8ee2f420482d8761be9.JPG
Once you find the right ramp length for your truck, I’d suggest adding something like this to the ramp face. This really helped with the loading. Before this the bike would get slightly hung up between the rungs and totally kill the momentum on the run into the bed.

These are ATV loading ramps from EBay.

The biggest problem with loading ramps for me is the transition at the top.  You get the bike up the ramp and at some point, the handle bars are very high, making it hard to step onto the tailgate while holding the bike upright.  I use a step, or a bike stand, to help me step up onto the tailgate.  I've ridden up before, but when I do, I always strap the ramp midpoint to the hitch to make sure it stays there and I don't become a YouTube fail video.

• Haha 1

I used to remove my tailgate hauling bikes,  wood plank set right on the bumper.  Tailgate is just in the way.

You did not say if cost was an issue, but I would just go with what sly_one suggested, 2 wooden 2 x 6 planks. Get the metal offsets (to transition plank to tail gate) fabbed at a sheet metal shop for a half dozen beer, carriage bolt them to one end of each plank. I have never used a tie back to the truck so a plank does not slip, but it sounds like a good idea.

Screw some wooden cleats to one of the planks as a foot hold, while you're walking the bike up the other plank.

They will be light and cheap and work just fine. Use the money you saved to buy good tie downs.

I have used various folding metal ramps belonging to friends, they are nice but a plank does the job.

• Like 1