Rm 125 conversion kits

1 minute ago, ah665 said:

I think it's just because back then, there was not a modern framed 4 stroke, so if you wanted a 4stroke, then you mate it to whatever 2stroke race bike as your base. Now a days, the modern 4 stroke chassis are the best platform to start with, so if you want something newer than a 07 Suzuki 2stroke (which is basically an 01), then you throw that motor in the best, most modern chassis that it'll work in (which is a 4stroke)

I see the point and get it. Just making an observation that its funny how we are never happy with what is available. Makes for cool ideas and projects though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tmeyer37 said:

I see the point and get it. Just making an observation that its funny how we are never happy with what is available. Makes for cool ideas and projects though. 

Yes very true. I think it's just that we as consumers never have all options on the table at once. Not that financially it could ever happen. But like 2stroke and 4stroke development has never been going at the same rate side by side and then also displacement trends. 500cc 2strokes are popular transplants into modern chassis since they are long gone etc. Always something we can tweak if you aren't happy with options on the showroom floor, I suppose.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tmeyer37 said:

I just rebuilt my top end on my yz450..... not even close to thousands of dollars, it was about 300.... thousands of dollars is only when you fail to maintain your bike and run it into the ground. 

When you have to replace valves.valveve guides rockers cams cam chain piston its a lot more than 300.

Off road bikes are what sell, far more than track bikes.  So it stands to reason that the best engine sizes to use would be those that could be shared with the off road bikes.  That would at least help with making the bikes more profitable.  Although 125's are fun bikes off road, they are far from ideal.  If I was in the industry, I would want to collaborate with other brands to develop the market.  I'm thinking 200's and 300's would be the ideal size as they have both proven excellent off road and at least in international racing there is already a class for the 300's.  The more shared bikes and parts between racing and riding venues the better for profitability.  From these platforms, they could make high end track bikes, high end off road bikes, and more stripped down and maybe shorter suspended bikes to cater to newer riders and families.  Racing classes would follow.

The problem is that not all the manufacturers even want to make 2-strokes anymore, least of all Honda.  Then you have places like California that is doing everything possible to rid not only 2-strokes, but gas engines in general from the state.  And before you just say "eff California, then just don't sell them there", California is like an octopus with long reaching tentacles...….what becomes popular here will soon be adopted everywhere else, at least in the U.S.  The future is electric vehicles, you see it everywhere.  Everyone is pouring money into it.  KTM  just committed half a billion dollars to it the other day.  The future is not 2-strokes and even 4-strokes are in the batters box to extinction. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

Off road bikes are what sell, far more than track bikes.  So it stands to reason that the best engine sizes to use would be those that could be shared with the off road bikes.  That would at least help with making the bikes more profitable.  Although 125's are fun bikes off road, they are far from ideal.  If I was in the industry, I would want to collaborate with other brands to develop the market.  I'm thinking 200's and 300's would be the ideal size as they have both proven excellent off road and at least in international racing there is already a class for the 300's.  The more shared bikes and parts between racing and riding venues the better for profitability.  From these platforms, they could make high end track bikes, high end off road bikes, and more stripped down and maybe shorter suspended bikes to cater to newer riders and families.  Racing classes would follow.

The problem is that not all the manufacturers even want to make 2-strokes anymore, least of all Honda.  Then you have places like California that is doing everything possible to rid not only 2-strokes, but gas engines in general from the state.  And before you just say "eff California, then just don't sell them there", California is like an octopus with long reaching tentacles...….what becomes popular here will soon be adopted everywhere else, at least in the U.S.  The future is electric vehicles, you see it everywhere.  Everyone is pouring money into it.  KTM  just committed half a billion dollars to it the other day.  The future is not 2-strokes and even 4-strokes are in the batters box to extinction. 

This is a matter of the market fighting back against the bureaucracies.  The Yellow Vests have the right idea.  Get the State out of how I live my life and spend my cash.  I will back Suzuki with my dollars if they make the move.

BTW...I agree wit your size recommendations...I've been pining for this generation's KDX200 forever.

Edited by dingerjunkie
  • Like 2

And if Suzuki is really going through with this...

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/suzuki-racing-company/4337767/

...maybe this stuff isn't just going to be a pipe dream.  I will still only believe it when I see it, as Suzuki has fallen a long ways.  But there is only one way to go, and that is up.  I wish them well, as more competition is good for everyone.  If they can get the MotoGP side all in order (that is obviously the priority destination for their Yen) then it can free up some cash for the dirt bike side eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmeyer37 said:

This whole idea of 2t in a 4t frame is funny to me. Back in the early 00's before four strokes took over the cool thing was to stuff a 4t motor in a 2t chassis for the better suspension and handling. Now that 4t dominate the market it is reversed. 

Grass is always greener syndrome I guess. I am not against either bike but I find it funny that we as enthusiasts are never happy. 

Still got a rolling kx 100 big wheel waiting for some small thumper love lol.

• Like 3

Just now, dingerjunkie said:

Yup...I always drooled over an XR100 wedged into a CR big-wheel chassis, sprung so an adult could be a hooligan.

But an xr 200 makes the bike even more fun ?

Got all the parts just havent had the  time to dedicate the built yet. Have to make tank out of aluminum to fit that combo. 

My son is a pitcher and trying to be a good parent and help him get to be the best he can has taken most of my free time and all of my weekends.

Plus it cost about 4 gees a year up here for year around training.

• Like 2

This is a matter of the market fighting back against the bureaucracies.  The Yellow Vests have the right idea.  Get the State out of how I live my life and spend my cash.  I will back Suzuki with my dollars if they make the move.

BTW...I agree wit your size recommendations...I've been pining for this generation's KDX200 forever.

Maybe Betas 200rr will be just that.
  • Like 1

This Suzuki rumor went around in the fall of 2016. At the time Suzuki retooled to produce an air cooled 125 2-stroke  “farm” bike for some markets. If they wanted to start production of the RM’s it shouldn’t be that hard. They kept the line going in Europe well after they were dropped in  North America. 

From my observations at local MX tracks the “current” old design YZ’s and new KTM/Husky 2ts are quite competitive with some riders. I’m sure a re-popped last gen RM would be the same. 

I’m not sure how much appetite Suzuki has for 2t production and of all the brands out there they have the most to lose because their old bikes might start outselling the new ones...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dklassen said:

This Suzuki rumor went around in the fall of 2016. At the time Suzuki retooled to produce an air cooled 125 2-stroke  “farm” bike for some markets. If they wanted to start production of the RM’s it shouldn’t be that hard. They kept the line going in Europe well after they were dropped in  North America. 

From my observations at local MX tracks the “current” old design YZ’s and new KTM/Husky 2ts are quite competitive with some riders. I’m sure a re-popped last gen RM would be the same. 

I’m not sure how much appetite Suzuki has for 2t production and of all the brands out there they have the most to lose because their old bikes might start outselling the new ones...

they don't really have a new green 450 motocrosser, know what I mean? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Bingo

You've never ridden one how would you know.

Rm 125 to me is like getting on a bike that feels light and goes everywhere you throw it. Down in power a little but the overall ride is enjoyable.

Plenty of engine builders can fix power issues pretty cheap

Varner has always come through. 99 had PC do my engine and never ran right

1 minute ago, KTMRider4Life said:

they don't really have a new green 450 motocrosser, know what I mean? 

Coming from an all orange we dont.