tgrundy131

Vertex piston pin problem

Spit on it  :lol: 

seriously, have you measured the pin and compared to the piston ? ....is it close where it may just have a burr on it ? ...

...sometimes the tolerance is so close I need to oil both pin and piston for it to slide in...I'm guessing that's not what you're dealing with.

does the pin from the old piston fit the new piston?

I'd prolly call the vendor and ask for a replacement.

Edited by ss-racing

clean any piston coating that may have got in the hole,  then heat the piston before pushing the pin in, it'll go in easier.  heat gun, pot of boiling water, etc

I had a wiseco do the same thing. I froze the pin and put a tiny bit of heat on the piston. When I say tiny.. I mean I could still hold the piston with my bare hand. The pin slid in fine but after a few hours of use it developed a rattle in the top end. I pulled the jug to make sure nothing had come loose. Everything was fine. Circlips were in and had not moved. Put the bike back together and it started rattling in about 5 minutes. Pulled it all back apart and put in a new vertex piston, wrist pin and bearing and put in New circlips. The vertex piston and pin slid together with no freezing or heat and the bike has been rattle free for the last 4.5 hours of some pretty hard use. Two of those hours were from a buddy who’s an A harescramble racer. With that said from my experience I wouldn’t fool with trying to make the pin and piston fit together with any more than a light coat of premix on the pin and using your thumb to slide it through.

Update: I removed the circlip and slipped the wrist pin in from the other side. That worked fine, but the pin would not slide all the way through the piston.