Jump to content
TigerTanker

TigerTanker's Bike Build Thread FE450 & FX350

Recommended Posts

On Saturday I'm picking up the  New Swedish Twins over in E Washington.

I'm selling off my 2016 fe450 and te300

Got sick of the 300 drama, and guess I'm just a 4 stroke guy. Also, I think this tight single track, alpine stuff in the PNW kind of suits the 4 stroke better. A deciding factor for me in picking the fx350 was that @Pittbull loves his at McNutt, and prefers it over his 2 stroke. McNutt terrain is my favorite type of stuff, and we have a ton of riding like that around here. 

I have really loved my fe450, but she is quite fat compared to the new slim and sexy new gen bikes 17-19

The 2016 450 was remapped, had the TPS raised and then ran like a total charm after that. Sounds like getting a new gen bike is a bit more complicated, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that 2018 450 to get it running top notch. I heard the ECU is locked, no map changes even with a super secret handshake.... So, the Vortex and a JD tuner are my options??

I do know that both bikes will be plated, they will be fitted with HDB hand guards and mirrors. 

Open to ideas and suggestions for bike set up! My mechanic @dan500afc will be setting up the bike, like he did with my 2016 models. 

The 450 will be set up for "everything" like my current 450, the 350 will be set up for the gnar and speed. 

Here's a video from the last bike build....

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read the entire fx350 thread. 

Can anyone tell me what changes were made from 2018 to 2019 on this bike?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fx350 comes mapped for off road use. So, with some fiddling with the TPS, why do folks find the JD or Vortex unit necessary?

The fe450 has a bad map, and will definitely need something done. I have heard that it flat out is impossible to remap the ecu, they are locked up tight. So, then again, the options are JD and Vortex. The former being considerably cheaper....

FYI, I do not race. I ride at the Advanced/Expert Level and prefer challenging technical stuff without it being extremely life threatening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

I have read the entire fx350 thread. 

Can anyone tell me what changes were made from 2018 to 2019 on this bike?

 

5 significant changes:

-New frame that is stiffer

-New DDS clutch replacing the 6 spring unit

-Longer swingarm (I think 10mm longer)

-Shorter head (Again, I think 10mm shorter) 

-Narrower body work, especially by the shrouds where they lowered the radiators

 

A few other notables:

-Pankl gearset and crank

-Revised suspension settings

-Revised triple clamps

-Better seat profile

-Mapping changes

Performance wise between a 18 vs 19 is insignificant. The feel identical power wise. But, the 19 is virtually flame out proof and seems to start better hot or cold. A TPS adjustment is not needed but better low-mid range performance can be found with a remap. As a experiment I run T4 race fuel and it does 'complete' the package better and makes the motor feel more lively. If there is concern for stalling, a simple adjustment of turning up the idle can do wonders. Many do and complain it still stalls, I don't believe they have went far enough. 19 motor feels to have more engine braking then the 18.

I personally prefer the 6 spring over the DDS as the DDS is very on/off and not as progressive.

The 19 feels slightly front-end heavy and IMO the new chassis was better designed around the AER fork where as the 16+ models feel like the AER forks were just retrofitted on. Equally the narrower feel is welcomed but IMO isn't the game changer. 

The transmission shifts better, virtually no false neutrals and there is virtually no debris left on the oil drain plug making you scratch your head. 

The shock and forks feel well balanced for the chassis. The extra length in the swingarm compliment the chassis. 

90/90 up front works well on the chassis and we have been testing a 110 over a 120 on the rear and the bike seems to handle better in all areas.

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

I tried, tried hard. At 1:34 the "sound" got too much and I had to mute it. Bikes sure are pretty though.

If "In the garage" is too much, you'll probably not enjoy my vids with Metallica and Ministry in them.... But hey, I make half my vids now with no music. Partly because I'm getting lazier...

Setting those bikes up was fun. We had a bike build thread that had over 20k hits on it. 

Trouble is, the 17 models that came later were so much better for riding technical stuff. Looking forward to some lighter bikes, with even more pop to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bikes are going to be set up for domestic violence and crappy weather

 

 

Edited by TigerTanker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheels/Tires

The two bikes will share 4 sets of rims.

The fronts will be;

  1. GT Razr with Nitro Mousse, this will be for times when I want maximum trail speed.
  2. GT Fatty with TUbliss. Dual sport rides.
  3. 2 GT Fatty with Nitro Mousse . For most rides.

The rears will be:

  1. TUbliss with M5B for conditions of loose sand, dirt, need for maximum traction.
  2. TUbliss with MT43 for dual sport and trail riding that has no loose surfaces with steeps.
  3. TUbliss with GT333 for most off road rides.
  4. TUbliss with Extreme Moto Z Hybrid. Testing tire to see how it compares to MT43.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be sending the pipe of the fx350 to Flatlands Racing to have them make a custom pipe guard for the bike. 

Flatlands makes very functional and attractive guards, have had them on all my bikes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drove hwy 12 past little Naches, bethel ridge, divide ridge, ahtanum, oak ridge, jump off joes, rim rock lake, Gifford Pinchot, Elbe on the way home... all hallowed dirt bike grounds. 

We shall return when the snow is gone. 

 

FBBE3299-74A5-4624-9C6E-1148D5A32E1F.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bikes got dropped off at @dan500afc for build 

Most parts already ordered. Fe450 could be mostly done by mid week. Fx350 will have some parts sent out for work. 

Will probably go down and stand in Dan’s way Monday 

Dan has recently built a moto track with an obstacle section at his home. So, we will have a place to help fine tune the Twins. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 12:25 PM, Couchfit6 said:

5 significant changes:

-New frame that is stiffer

-New DDS clutch replacing the 6 spring unit

-Longer swingarm (I think 10mm longer)

-Shorter head (Again, I think 10mm shorter) 

-Narrower body work, especially by the shrouds where they lowered the radiators

 

A few other notables:

-Pankl gearset and crank

-Revised suspension settings

-Revised triple clamps

-Better seat profile

-Mapping changes

Performance wise between a 18 vs 19 is insignificant. The feel identical power wise. But, the 19 is virtually flame out proof and seems to start better hot or cold. A TPS adjustment is not needed but better low-mid range performance can be found with a remap. As a experiment I run T4 race fuel and it does 'complete' the package better and makes the motor feel more lively. If there is concern for stalling, a simple adjustment of turning up the idle can do wonders. Many do and complain it still stalls, I don't believe they have went far enough. 19 motor feels to have more engine braking then the 18.

I personally prefer the 6 spring over the DDS as the DDS is very on/off and not as progressive.

The 19 feels slightly front-end heavy and IMO the new chassis was better designed around the AER fork where as the 16+ models feel like the AER forks were just retrofitted on. Equally the narrower feel is welcomed but IMO isn't the game changer. 

The transmission shifts better, virtually no false neutrals and there is virtually no debris left on the oil drain plug making you scratch your head. 

The shock and forks feel well balanced for the chassis. The extra length in the swingarm compliment the chassis. 

90/90 up front works well on the chassis and we have been testing a 110 over a 120 on the rear and the bike seems to handle better in all areas.

I have heard this time and time again, however when you have a Rekluse clutch, you can't just raise the RPM to adjust out the stall that happens. It needs to be richen at idle up to around 2K RPM. Running a race type gas helps to. VP said that because the race gas has a better specific gravity, more molecules that tend to richen up the flow. I noticed this with my TE300 also. I had to lean out the carb just a bit to make it run correctly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ride200mi said:

I have heard this time and time again, however when you have a Rekluse clutch, you can't just raise the RPM to adjust out the stall that happens. It needs to be richen at idle up to around 2K RPM. Running a race type gas helps to. VP said that because the race gas has a better specific gravity, more molecules that tend to richen up the flow. I noticed this with my TE300 also. I had to lean out the carb just a bit to make it run correctly.

You could easily raise the idle and then back off the adjustment on the Rekluse slave to make sure you don't have any lurching. But, if you are running a Rekluse, you shouldn't have stalling problems. 

As for race fuel, worth it if you can afford it. Though I've never used race fuel in mass quantities, I have just recently ordered a barrel of T4 and the bike seems to really like it. Better throttle response, starting and a bit more mid-range pickup are all welcomed benefits. 

Edited by Couchfit6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...