Jump to content
TigerTanker

TigerTanker's Bike Build Thread FE450 & FX350

Recommended Posts

Buy a bag of those o-rings. They are vulnerable to cuts every time you disconnect the fuel line.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MN6JB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

100% agree. My issue happened after I loaded up the bike and drove to a riding spot with some of my riding buddies. After that, I bought a bag of them and keep them in my trailer in the tool box. That little o-ring caused me a great deal of driving with no riding to make it less miserable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The o ring is bad. But we didn’t have enough time at the performance center to get to the 350. Today was parts and farkle the 300. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are two vids, from the same day. I did a ride in the Little Naches area of Washington State. It will show just how capable the fe450 is on some Most Difficult/Extreme Trails

If I got into a ride where some extreme stuff showed up, this bike can handle it. If I'm knowingly headed to something extreme, I'd probably prefer to bring either the 350 or 300. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m surprised how much work u had to do on the FX350, I would assume the FX would come much more set up for off road. I’m glad I went with thmy FE450 and not the 501 tho. Looks like the best choice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WesA321 said:

I’m surprised how much work u had to do on the FX350, I would assume the FX would come much more set up for off road. I’m glad I went with thmy FE450 and not the 501 tho. Looks like the best choice 

"Off road" is pretty broad. The FX excels on those fast flowy trails, even climbing switchbacks it does pretty well on (though at that point adding a fan is prudent). The hard-enduro stuff we do is where you really need to tweak the bike for slower speeds and hotter running, and getting ghost ridden. Then add that we like to get bikes plated (adding lights, horn) and ride at night an now you're into all of that it adds up to a lot of add on$.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WesA321 said:

I’m surprised how much work u had to do on the FX350, I would assume the FX would come much more set up for off road. I’m glad I went with thmy FE450 and not the 501 tho. Looks like the best choice 

I would have been better off with the FE350. The tall gearing of the fx350 isn't compatible to what my goal was, a gnar bike. I still have hopes in getting this bike to be a valuable and fun bike in my arsenal. I think it could be a very good alpine st bike, but this nagging bike issue is in the way. I do think we got it licked though... We shall find out perhaps today or tomorrow as @dan500afc has the bike in the Performance Center for surgery as we speak....  

That 450 is a killer bike isn't it??? On pavement, it's a black top eating machine...dunes, rocks, jeep trails, st, hard enduro...can do it all. It is a step or so slower than a 300 unless in the hands of a magician expert but it is unstoppable and the best all around off road bike made, period.  I have tried a few 500/501 bikes and I prefer the rev of the 450. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

"Off road" is pretty broad. The FX excels on those fast flowy trails, even climbing switchbacks it does pretty well on (though at that point adding a fan is prudent). The hard-enduro stuff we do is where you really need to tweak the bike for slower speeds and hotter running, and getting ghost ridden. Then add that we like to get bikes plated (adding lights, horn) and ride at night an now you're into all of that it adds up to a lot of add on$.

Folks, Katoom and I tomorrow are headed out on a night mission. We are running one of the best hard loops of the legendary Gifford Pinchot forest in Washington State. We start at 11pm or so tomorrow and will ride for 6 hrs or so. I have 4 big night rides under my belt, but nothing close in mileage, my other rides have been more like 25 miles. 

I'm fortunate to have Katoom with me, he's a very prepared and capable rider. In fact, he towed me out after my 300 engine blew up last fall deep in the woods of the Central Cascade mtns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

I would have been better off with the FE350. The tall gearing of the fx350 isn't compatible to what my goal was, a gnar bike. I still have hopes in getting this bike to be a valuable and fun bike in my arsenal. I think it could be a very good alpine st bike, but this nagging bike issue is in the way. I do think we got it licked though... We shall find out perhaps today or tomorrow as @dan500afc has the bike in the Performance Center for surgery as we speak....  

That 450 is a killer bike isn't it??? On pavement, it's a black top eating machine...dunes, rocks, jeep trails, st, hard enduro...can do it all. It is a step or so slower than a 300 unless in the hands of a magician expert but it is unstoppable and the best all around off road bike made, period.  I have tried a few 500/501 bikes and I prefer the rev of the 450. 

Wish I hadn't read that last paragraph, was all set on a 300. Too many great choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Piney Woods said:

Wish I hadn't read that last paragraph, was all set on a 300. Too many great choices.

If you want one bike to rule them all, the choice is clear unless you are a singletrack snob. I know guys that will only ride ST, gnar, and have ZERO interest in anything else. In that case, the choice is clear in buying the 300. 

But if you want a bike that can;

  • Rule Moab
  • Crush sand dunes
  • Burn up gravel roads
  • Beat street bikes on pavement
  • Powerful engine that lasts forever
  • Can handle serious elevation gains and declines with excellent engine braking
  • Very capable on st and doses of hard enduro
  • Comfortable enough to ride for 12 hours
  • Forgiving, you can be out of gear and just hit some gas

 

The 450/500 bikes are the above.  

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan is using parts from ktmandhusky parts to get rid of the zig zag 90 degree fuel line

Here is what it now looks like. 

A kink in a fuel line is like a watering hose pinched

22E06879-B8B1-42AA-919C-BB5A98A0442E.jpeg

D0EB7FFF-8E4B-4D36-B72F-3D704D5C81E7.jpeg

469861AC-CD78-45C6-B373-55E1087A5278.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan is going to ride the 350 like it’s stolen on his performance center endurocross track next...

the world awaits the fate of FXy, problem bike...

glue factory or ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan reports that FXy is still a lemon smelling POS with the stock gas tank....hard start, flame outs.... 

Switching tanks now..... fingers crossed....

This test should isolate whether the problem is the electronic in tank fuel pump. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the bike is still clapped after swapping tanks. Very disappointing. 

Will be hauling the bike back to dealer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mirnldi said:

That sucks. You guys have a lot of time and money invested in the 350.

Porcupine theory...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Porcupine theory...

I am interested in hearing more about this porcupine theory. You know, just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dbnicely said:

I am interested in hearing more about this porcupine theory. You know, just in case.

The madder you get, the more quills you take to the face/wallet...

C9842DA2-4AF3-4C82-9C3A-7E45BD825616.jpeg.5175fd1349083f6ffb6243c6dfff81d4.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The madder you get, the more quills you take to the face/wallet...
C9842DA2-4AF3-4C82-9C3A-7E45BD825616.jpeg.5175fd1349083f6ffb6243c6dfff81d4.jpeg
 
 

That is a very relatable theory to me and my dog.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The madder you get, the more quills you take to the face/wallet...
C9842DA2-4AF3-4C82-9C3A-7E45BD825616.jpeg.5175fd1349083f6ffb6243c6dfff81d4.jpeg
 
 

Lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×