TigerTanker

TigerTanker's Bike Build Thread FE450 & FX350

I’m parking the 350 today and taking the 450 on a ride I’ve never done. Devils Gulch outside Cashmere Washington. This is an early attempt at alpine riding. I’m with a large group of guys, we will be clearing forest of deadfall. 

Last night Dan raised the TPS of both bikes from .55 to .64 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 6:23 PM, mirnldi said:

IMG_1489.jpg.f06f5e80838da69179bc46b8e7ced728.jpg

Got out today for a bit. Bike is running great. Happy Saturday boys!

where did you get the graphics kit?

where did you get the graphics kit?

Found it on eBay. It was a one off. Check out Kung fu graphics on eBay. They make a very similar kit.

I am in Lake Tahoe California as part of a 3 week west coast trip. I took the fx350 out from Squaw Valley resort and rode the west side to South Tahoe. 

The bike was very difficult to start. After a long warm up I got her running and after 10 miles I restarted bike and let idle for 6 minutes. 30 miles later at my turn around spot, the bike was still fairly hard to start, have to give little bits of throttle. 

Irritated 

The last alterations were a raise of Tps

After a couple days skiing, will ride a place called Johnson Lane south of Carson City Nevada. 

78356A2F-9852-4A60-BF04-3F746C3931CE.jpeg

E2EFBCCA-42CC-4799-BDC4-46BAD232182F.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey man I got a 2019 fe450 gonna be putting the jd on soon.  How has it been overall? Would u do it again or go straight to a vortex?

my bike is stock now with 14/52, TE tail and desmog 

Just now, WesA321 said:

Hey man I got a 2019 fe450 gonna be putting the jd on soon.  How has it been overall? Would u do it again or go straight to a vortex?

my bike is stock now with 14/52, TE tail and desmog 

The jd tuner has been good. I’ve ridden the bike in all kinds of terrain and temps from Washington, Utah, Nevada California... what an awesome bike. 

I will be adding an fmf pipe after testing one on down in California. Added a surprising amount of power. 

I did recently bump up the tps a nudge. 

My understanding with TPS is it may help a bit down low but actually can hurt when ur actually full throttle as it thinks you’re already at full throttle before reaching it. Let’s say at 90% throttle the bike will stop bc it thinks it’s already at 100%?  

Im very happy with the bike overall, just a bit on the low end for power. Had a 2016 YZ450 before so used to a screamer.  Don’t want that as I’m not doing MX anymore but deff want some more grunt. I’ll be following you as u add the exhaust.

btw great thread with a lot of good info. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WesA321 said:

My understanding with TPS is it may help a bit down low but actually can hurt when ur actually full throttle as it thinks you’re already at full throttle before reaching it. Let’s say at 90% throttle the bike will stop bc it thinks it’s already at 100%?  

Im very happy with the bike overall, just a bit on the low end for power. Had a 2016 YZ450 before so used to a screamer.  Don’t want that as I’m not doing MX anymore but deff want some more grunt. I’ll be following you as u add the exhaust.

btw great thread with a lot of good info. 

“We”, Dan and I, try our best...

Ive come to realize that Tps setting has more old wives tales than tires and oil. Seems obvious to me that the stock tps is set too low in order to satisfy epa readings. When I rode with jd he said a raised tps has little or no effect on top end but will improve low end response. 

Certainly well worth fiddling with, you can always put it back. 

One thing I’ve really learned after several long road trips into the dry southwest, bikes prefer warm dry air. In the cold wet and humid, everything needs more tuning. 

So, some of you probably wonder about us up north, but it’s much harder to get these bikes to perfectly perform up north. 

Posted (edited)

After raising the TPS on the fx350, putting the husky/FMF pipe on it, using high quality motor oil, engine ice and....going to 13/52 from 50 has now made the FX350 the bike I wanted when I bought it. 

Basically, I got a tpi 300 4 stroke, but saved about 3k bucks. 

The ride is very light, nimble, the suspension is excellent, the braking is also very good. It's snappy and super powerful when you want it. The power is deep through the band.

I tested it all yesterday and took it to an area that has very steep stuff and every kind of challenge I needed to test the bike. Area 51, if a bike or rider can handle that place, you can handle anything. I'll have a more detailed video soon, but this is a compilation of me wrecking the bike on the last 3 outings. 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 2

"... Check Please!"

I about fell out of my chair on that one. 

Great video.  :cheers:

@Hans Schmid

You asked on the 2019 thread about a fan. I have an 18 and some of those guys asked me to stop posting on the 2019 thread.... Ok...

Yes, I have a fan and thermostat on the fx350. My last ride pretty much signals that my temp issue is solved. Feel free and look at the two videos listed above as I test and try to destroy the bike at Area 51. 

2 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

@Hans Schmid

You asked on the 2019 thread about a fan. I have an 18 and some of those guys asked me to stop posting on the 2019 thread.... Ok...

Yes, I have a fan and thermostat on the fx350. My last ride pretty much signals that my temp issue is solved. Feel free and look at the two videos listed above as I test and try to destroy the bike at Area 51. 

Meh, I don't really care which bike is in which thread. The 19s are more the same then they are different from the 18s. I run/ran fans on both my 16 and now 19 and she has never overheated. On my 16 is was set at 175 and in my 19 its set at 185.

Funny, I just pulled the rad yesterday to lend the whole fan/rad setup to a friend for this weekends race. Original coolant on a bike with nearly 600hrs on it... Lol

Hey so I just spent a day riding a new Husky 250 which felt pretty good actually for the conditions i was in. I was all tight woodsy single track, very similar to what was in tiger tanks vid with less vertical. There was also a track there.. I noticed a couple of odd behaviors that bothered me and wanted to see what yall think...

Fueling:
-I noticed that on braking bumps that the throttle was way too sensitive compared to my carbed bike. It made it difficult to modulate while braking..can you say whiskey throttle?

-the bike stalled out a few times while after a downhill applying slight throttle. It would burble or die. 

Sounds like Vortex is the way to go to fix this action??

8 minutes ago, 1abv said:

Hey so I just spent a day riding a new Husky 250 which felt pretty good actually for the conditions i was in. I was all tight woodsy single track, very similar to what was in tiger tanks vid with less vertical. There was also a track there.. I noticed a couple of odd behaviors that bothered me and wanted to see what yall think...

Fueling:
-I noticed that on braking bumps that the throttle was way too sensitive compared to my carbed bike. It made it difficult to modulate while braking..can you say whiskey throttle?

-the bike stalled out a few times while after a downhill applying slight throttle. It would burble or die. 

Yuuup you Honda CRF rider. ?

You can try to turn up the idle a little to cure the flameouts. Did you change out the throttle cam? Helps some people not all.

10 minutes ago, 1abv said:

Fueling:

Hey, happy to help, but not on my build thread please. Make a thread and we'll help out ok?

How does It compare with ur FE450 now? I just installed my JD tuner on my bike. Took a quick spin def noticeable even in stock trim