TigerTanker

TigerTanker's Bike Build Thread FE450 & FX350

As posted ...

My dealer in Yakima says the starter issue is similar to one that they had with an FX450. Turns out the in tank fuel filter was bad. 

I was on the phone today with the owner of KTMandHusky.com He suggested that my raising of the TPS on the bike may also be affecting the starter. I bought the fuel delivery related kit from him for all of my bikes, 3 parts. I also bought the low end grunt/manifold kit for both 4 strokes. I had the grunt kit and his end cap on my 2015 fe350s and both really made a performance improvement on the bike. 

Will be sure to update on how these parts improve the tuning of the bikes. Headed out with the fe450, perhaps the fx350 too this weekend for some all around terrain and testing. Got young daughter and dog with... going to be hot but we'll have a great lake to cool off in. 

IMG_E4390.JPG.612919535eb5715f12b3d80018ea6206.JPG

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 2:01 PM, Piney Woods said:

Hot? At altitude in WA with snow covered peaks in the background? Boo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo!

Hey, 80'F is friggen hot in WA!!! Just saying....  LOL

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

The 450 was with me this last weekend. Wanted to really give it a serious test. So I took it on a 4000 vertical climb west of Yakima on nasty steep stuff. Even geared at 14/50 with a trials tire the bike performed impressively 

CD808B51-198B-4563-BBE0-A170194FD875.png

70936F46-2595-4C5C-BCE7-4B91397A1DEE.jpeg

35BB6D09-5738-4E02-A02C-789C35843261.jpeg

0321A732-9422-4B2A-9D35-E1E877E56AF4.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm not 100% sure if the 450 is free of any electrical issues. The headlight isn't working, just like my fx350, but that might be from too many whacks upside the head... the 450 had a bad wreck in California that damaged the top of the bike including the signals switch, key etc. But, will be dropping off with @dan500afc tonight for an inspection and to toss on some parts from KTM/Husky. 

Tomorrow, Ride200mi, @bungholio and Dan are riding at Cap Forest. Ride's fx350...we'll borrow the ecu and put into my identical bike and see if it's my ECU that is wonky. If so, I'll probably order a vortex from @Jeff aka Bolt I'm into this damn fx350 so much now I can't afford to sell her.... porcupine damn bike...

Ride will get to be the first guy to take my new 300 for a trail ride!

Going to be nearly 90 degrees tomorrow, so we're starting a bit early. 

• Like 1

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention it in this thread... My frustrations with the 350 made me go buy another bike, the 2020 300 tpi...

But, that's for another thread....

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

I've owned 3 bikes before, it was chaos. It's like having 3 women in your life...jealous they are and they will bite you, each other and you can't ride two of them at a time no matter what you say or try....so two will sit in the garage and bicker or plot on how to kill you.  If I die mysteriously, you'll know exactly why it happened. 

• Helpful 1

This is where I was last weekend with the 450. But, a few weeks earlier I brought out FXY and had her go up a trail that I call Vendetta. 4 yrs in the making to climb up a very tricky and steep route. 4k vertical feet with sections that are incredibly discouraging and humiliating. After a couple few hours, finally made it up the trail...VICTORY. 

So, for all the bitching and moaning about FXY, she slayed Vendetta and did North Clifty at midnight. Those two trails are difficult, dangerous even deadly....I even offered to pay a guy $5,000 if he could do those two rides...he declined.... So, FXY is accumulating an impressive resume... I just need the starter issue resolved and some fine tuning for reliable performance.... Otherwise, I swear she's going to the glue factory...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well, you’ve all heard my porcupine theory?

Look what I came across testing my bike tonight? Dead porcupine...

Dan and I tried everything to no avail,,, bike flames bad when jostled and doesn’t like to start when hot and bothered. 

F1FFD267-2955-4E61-AE5D-05DF9D00B906.thumb.jpeg.746b136962569b80f2dc47ff270e3797.jpeg

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Well, you’ve all heard my porcupine theory?

Look what I came across resting my bike tonight? Dead porcupine...

Dan and I tried everything to no avail,,, bike flames bad when jostled and doesn’t like to start when hot and bothered. 

F1FFD267-2955-4E61-AE5D-05DF9D00B906.thumb.jpeg.746b136962569b80f2dc47ff270e3797.jpeg

Reaching here....

spark plug?

plug wire?

injector jets?

a small rodent climbed inside your muffler and died?

• Like 1

FD3BD354-FA8F-41D1-AAA3-59DB81F6B88F.jpeg

AF799B88-F62B-4A38-9EB0-2A74DEFBB687.jpeg

38 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

Reaching here....

spark plug?

plug wire?

injector jets?

Possessed by the devil...

22 hours ago, KaToomTime said:

Reaching here....

spark plug?

plug wire?

injector jets?

Ride200 joined Dan, bungholio and I at cap forest. We swapped ecu and.... nada. Still problem. I have narrowed one thing down, it’s not an issue about being hot. It’s about vibration/movement. 

Yesterday I did hot fast pavement and the bike started up again fine. But when Dan rode it over a rock obstacle on his enduro course it flames out and struggled to restart. 

So, your suggestions are next, and possible problems. 

• Like 1

Today, the parts person suggested that a potential problem for my 350 may be the ignition relay, they've had issues with them. So, picked one of those up. On Tuesday of next week Dan will replace the plug, inspect the boot, and replace the ignition relay in some hopes of.... 

• Like 1

Today, the parts person suggested that a potential problem for my 350 may be the ignition relay, they've had issues with them. So, picked one of those up. On Tuesday of next week Dan will replace the plug, inspect the boot, and replace the ignition relay in some hopes of.... 
A successful resale? You're right back where you started, a 450, 350, and 300.
  • Haha 1

Just now, bungholio said:

A successful resale? You're right back where you started, a 450, 350, and 300. emoji57.png

Thankfully they all kind of look the same...my wife still thinks I only own two bikes...usually at least one of them is with Dan. The dog's know better, they hate the sound of two strokes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Thankfully they all kind of look the same...my wife still thinks I only own two bikes...usually at least one of them is with Dan. The dog's know better, they hate the sound of two strokes. 

I would not change that construct.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

...usually at least one of them is with Dan.

At this point you should just ask him to move in.  Paying one mortgage is way cheaper than paying two.

• Haha 1

So we replaced the ignition relay, spark plug and then had the boot and wire tested. Still not running right...

Will take the bike back to dealer next week, a 4 hour drive... I’ll make a day of it, ride out there and then head to the first documented night mission over Shark Rock on the famous Boundary Trail in THE Gifford Pinchot Forest with Dan and Katoom...

My head is full of fx350 thoughts....

Go walk dogs...