TigerTanker

TigerTanker's Bike Build Thread FE450 & FX350

14 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

So we replaced the ignition relay, spark plug and then had the boot and wire tested. Still not running right...

Will take the bike back to dealer next week, a 4 hour drive... I’ll make a day of it, ride out there and then head to the first documented night mission over Shark Rock on the famous Boundary Trail in THE Gifford Pinchot Forest with Dan and Katoom...

My head is full of fx350 thoughts....

Go walk dogs...

Well it's the same old problem-

fuel/delivery

-or-

ignition/spark

So, where's the culprit?

Fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel line, injectors

ECU/ignition,plug, wires (some other electrical thing affecting ignition?)

Have you pulled/re-seated fuses and relays, inspected all wires, banged your head on the wall? 

Exorcism?

https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2017/01/20/performing-6000-exorcisms-priest-says-devil-fears/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

Well it's the same old problem-

fuel/delivery

-or-

ignition/spark

So, where's the culprit?

Fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel line, injectors

ECU/ignition,plug, wires (some other electrical thing affecting ignition?)

Have you pulled/re-seated fuses and relays, inspected all wires, banged your head on the wall? 

Exorcism?

https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2017/01/20/performing-6000-exorcisms-priest-says-devil-fears/

We replaced the in tank and in line fuel filter. 

I rode the bike last night around my house. Got the bike up to full operating temp and found an old abandoned parking lot and jumped over a parking barrier then stopped the bike. It would not want to restart, had to fiddle with and massage the throttle. 

Something indeed when the bike is jostled is disrupting fuel flow, and that is creating flame outs and making the bike hard to start. 

Bike is going off to Yakima dealer for inspection. 

The only possible culprit that could be blamed on me/Dan would be the additon of the upgraded stator, headlights etc, but I fail to see how that can possibly be related?

There is an electrical relay that is currently burned out that is associated with the Cyclops light. I can't see how this is in any way related but...

@dan500afc what exactly does that burned out relay control anyway?

50 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

I rode the bike last night around my house. Got the bike up to full operating temp and found an old abandoned parking lot and jumped over a parking barrier then stopped the bike. It would not want to restart, had to fiddle with and massage the throttle. 

Something indeed when the bike is jostled is disrupting fuel flow, and that is creating flame outs and making the bike hard to start. 

The only possible culprit that could be blamed on me/Dan would be the additon of the upgraded stator, headlights etc, but I fail to see how that can possibly be related?

There is an electrical relay that is currently burned out that is associated with the Cyclops light. I can't see how this is in any way related but...

Interesting. The stator shouldn't matter, but maybe it's putting out too much juice, or is in some other way jumping around the voltage or current, which shouldn't matter the battery should mitigate that but?

I’m wondering if the bumping and bouncing is causing cavitation in the tank or somewhere in the fuel system that leads to fuel starvation. Maybe an in-tank foam insert would help eliminate the sloshing/cavitation. I’m grasping right now, but the major/obvious things have already been addressed.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 3:37 PM, 1abv said:

Hey so I just spent a day riding a new Husky 250 which felt pretty good actually for the conditions i was in. I was all tight woodsy single track, very similar to what was in tiger tanks vid with less vertical. There was also a track there.. I noticed a couple of odd behaviors that bothered me and wanted to see what yall think...

Fueling:
-I noticed that on braking bumps that the throttle was way too sensitive compared to my carbed bike. It made it difficult to modulate while braking..can you say whiskey throttle?

-the bike stalled out a few times while after a downhill applying slight throttle. It would burble or die. 

Sounds like Vortex is the way to go to fix this action??

Just turn up the idle.. 

23 hours ago, KaToomTime said:

Interesting. The stator shouldn't matter, but maybe it's putting out too much juice, or is in some other way jumping around the voltage or current, which shouldn't matter the battery should mitigate that but?

So what Im sayin' is swap the stator back to stock and see if that makes it run any different.  Sounds like it's gettimg dropped off at the dealer today so that one might have to wait. Maybe they will figure it out and it will be a non starter. The last thing is if you still have your old 300 hanging around, well you know how jealous these bikes get...

• Haha 1

Well one more last thing are there internal sensors like a crank position or cam position sensor or something that is loose or has a bad connection but is hidden from view. Bike gets g forces just so and the connection is momentarily interrupted causing stutter. Ok back to my morning coffee.

Edit- or a similar issue but mechanical like the cam chain tensioner loose. No sure if ratchet type but what if so and the ratchet is getting knocked loose on the hard hits because it is defective. That would loosen the cam chain, might momentarily cause a hickup until the tensioner re-ratchets in the chain. Reaching... but at this point?

Edited by KaToomTime

9 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

The last thing is if you still have your old 300 hanging around, well you know how jealous these bikes get... 

Bin the 350 motor and move the 300 over. :thinking:

10 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

Maybe they will figure it out and it will be a non starter.

No pun intended?

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 8:43 AM, TigerTanker said:

The fan and the lights. It’s part of the cyclops auxiliary harness. 

Posted (edited)

One thing that hasn’t been tested is the fuel pump. I will swap tanks tomorrow. I have a fully set up tank with pump etc for a 4 gallon tank  

Seeing how this is all fuel delivery related??

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 7:33 AM, Dbnicely said:

I’m wondering if the bumping and bouncing is causing cavitation in the tank or somewhere in the fuel system that leads to fuel starvation. Maybe an in-tank foam insert would help eliminate the sloshing/cavitation. I’m grasping right now, but the major/obvious things have already been addressed.

Your comment helped solve the problem. I decided to swap tanks. 

I put my big tank on, problem appeared to go away. Bad fuel pump? So I put the bad tank on the 450, but it worked fine?

I suspect that my problem was from having put the tank on my 350fx a few months ago and not having fully seated the electrical connector. So, that would fully explain why the starter would turn without bike starting, and why the bike was flaming out and not starting after being shaken. 

Thanks to everyone for suggestions!

i took the 350 out for some gnar and the bike ran fine. The fan isn’t working from a burned out relay and when the bike hit 200 degrees it didn’t want to start then. But other than that there wasn’t any flame outs or issues. 

I feel so relieved now. But, now I got three bikes to feed...

514295A6-EEAB-44E3-A13C-493AFE1D1228.jpeg

• Like 4

The 450 was out running yesterday in some challenging alpine st. My fellow rider is an expert on a xcw 300. I was able to keep up for sure. The 450 even at 14/52 with a bigger tank is a very capable bike even in the gnar. 

• Like 1

Hey Tiger, so the 3.1 Acerbis off your Fe450 fits a fx350? Reason I ask is I just bought a 17' FX350 and wondered if the 3.1 off my 18' FE 450 would fit.

1 minute ago, DPete said:

Hey Tiger, so the 3.1 Acerbis off your Fe450 fits a fx350? Reason I ask is I just bought a 17' FX350 and wondered if the 3.1 off my 18' FE 450 would fit.

Mine are exchangeable 

Put my bikes together after a good washing. 

Went to start the 350 and fuel started spraying out of the fuel clutch connector. Fml!!!

I connected them, got a good solid click. Did it again... fuel still spraying out. I checked the fuel clutch to make sure the pin came out yup. Ugh...

These fuel clutches are one of my least favorite parts. I’m assuming it’s broken. Perhaps it was the culprit for the issues? 

Well, at least the gremlin zone has been identified 

• Like 1

Went to start the 350 and fuel started spraying out of the fuel clutch connector. Fml!!!
I connected them, got a good solid click. Did it again... fuel still spraying out. I checked the fuel clutch to make sure the pin came out yup. Ugh...
These fuel clutches are one of my least favorite parts. I’m assuming it’s broken. Perhaps it was the culprit for the issues? 

I had a slight cut in an o-ring on my quick disconnector that caused similar issues. Swapped to a new o-ring and problem was solved.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

6 hours ago, Dbnicely said:

I had a slight cut in an o-ring on my quick disconnector that caused similar issues. Swapped to a new o-ring and problem was solved.

Buy a bag of those o-rings. They are vulnerable to cuts every time you disconnect the fuel line.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MN6JB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 5