Bottom end problem?

20 hours ago, JIdi said:

IMG_3015.JPGAlso should I get this replated?

Peice of wood and hammer just how is in pic. Assuming all the nuts are off . 

@JIdi

only way to know if you need to replate the jug is to measure it with a bore gauge or inside micrometers 

Edited by kxrob

IMG_5976.JPGIf you’ve seen my previous posts my shift lever went through my case and knicked my flywheel pretty hard. It instantly seized and I’m just curious if the bottom end should still be fine as I’m hoping to just have to do the top. Also what would cause it to seize/blow when the flywheel stopped moving

IMG_5976.thumb.JPG.595ebedc4911727eb7e251d9e7693aa7.JPGIf you’ve seen my previous posts my shift lever went through my case and knicked my flywheel pretty hard. It instantly seized and I’m just curious if the bottom end should still be fine as I’m hoping to just have to do the top. Also what would cause it to seize/blow when the flywheel stopped moving

Also I know this is probably a super dumb question but it’s normal that I still can’t move the kick start after the cylinder is off right?

If you bent your shift shaft you might be stuck in gear. How did the shifter go though your case? Is there another thread on this?

If you bent your shift shaft you might be stuck in gear. How did the shifter go though your case? Is there another thread on this?

Only if the tear down but I was pretty much t-boned at the track. If it’s stuck in gear will the bottom have to be rebuilt as well or will a new shift lever fix that? This is my first bike and rebuild so I’m new to all this ;) just glad I’m ok and get to keep riding

Only if the tear down but I was pretty much t-boned at the track. If it’s stuck in gear will the bottom have to be rebuilt as well or will a new shift lever fix that? This is my first bike and rebuild so I’m new to all this default_wink.gif&key=56b691046144ecb2770ec5a9cfb5efddcddfe1189ff6d027541fea22773efed4 just glad I’m ok and get to keep riding

Also is there a way to check shift shaft without tearing it open?

I've seen a few things wrong when a shift shaft gets bent and sometimes just the seal and a bent shaft. How did all that rust get in the ignition?

I've seen a few things wrong when a shift shaft gets bent and sometimes just the seal and a bent shaft. How did all that rust get in the ignition?

I guess just over time. It’s a 2003 that I bought used but I’m probably gonna replace the flywheel as well. I just wish I knew if the bottom end needed work because after I rebuild the top I don’t wanna have to strip the bike again and pull the engine if I was already at this point

You should be able to get the shift shaft out without removing the engine from the frame. I had a shaft bent so bad I couldn't get it out. I cut it off nearly flush with the case and it came out. You may want to replace your rubber grommets and ignition cover gasket. Do you use a pressure washer on your bike? You could be blasting water into there. They can also condense when they are hot and hit water on the trail. I used to occasionally pull the cover and spray some WD40 in there to disperse any moisture in there. 

1 hour ago, JIdi said:

Also I know this is probably a super dumb question but it’s normal that I still can’t move the kick start after the cylinder is off right?

No I would expect the kickstart should be movable. Can't think of why it would not. Can you move the rod by turning the flywheel by hand all the way through the cycle? If you shift it in neutral or in gear and watch the counter sprocket not turn or turn?

No I would expect the kickstart should be movable. Can't think of why it would not. Can you move the rod by turning the flywheel by hand all the way through the cycle? If you shift it in neutral or in gear and watch the counter sprocket not turn or turn?

Ok so I got everything moving now and the kick starter moveable my only question now is that it’s weird because it seems like I can only shift to second. First and second are clearly there but it’s like the other gears don’t exist
You should be able to get the shift shaft out without removing the engine from the frame. I had a shaft bent so bad I couldn't get it out. I cut it off nearly flush with the case and it came out. You may want to replace your rubber grommets and ignition cover gasket. Do you use a pressure washer on your bike? You could be blasting water into there. They can also condense when they are hot and hit water on the trail. I used to occasionally pull the cover and spray some WD40 in there to disperse any moisture in there. 

Yes I power wash it so that could definitely be the case. But then again I’ve only had the bike a few months now so idk

Can you tell if the shift shaft is bent? That could be your problem. That's what I would go after first.

Can you tell if the shift shaft is bent? That could be your problem. That's what I would go after first.

Just from looking at it it seems straight and I can still slate the shifter on and off of it. I’ve never taken it out tho so I’ll have to learn how tmrw bc I definitely wanna check that out. First and second feel completely normal tho so idk what the problem could be

This is a make/model specific concern that belongs in this forum, we have repeated had to move your posts from the General Dirt Bike forum because they don't belong there and merged your repeated posts about this same concerns you have made.  Please refrain from posting about this outside of this forum and try to contain them in one thread.

Thanks,

TT Moderation staff

• Like 2