Thermostat Clearance Issue

Have a 2013 KTM 350WXCF    Have put new after market radiators on it, Them seem to be a bout 1/8" thicker than OEM. My problem is with the Thermostat it touches both the fuel tank and the radiator and im sure its going to put a hole in one or the other. Any thoughts on making more room? heating up the tank ( empty and dry of all fuel) or installing a bypass kit eliminating the thermostat ?

bypass,  but you may have bought a radiator that will require one of the hose bibs blocked off. The supplied caps can be unreliable, IMHO.   So if that's the case I'd try to remount the radiator forward a little.

The radiator is and exact fit for my excf as far as the hoses are concerned. Cant mount them forward as the shroud bolts in the same area. Any thoughts on dimpling the poly tank

I have the same bike..but a 2012....I installed a re-built OEM right radiator a few days ago....lost the original after laying it down on some nasty rocks.

My thermostat sits 1/4 in. away from the new rad and 3/4 inches away from the stock tank. It is impossible for my thermostat to touch the tank and rad at the same time...the thermostat is just not big enough to bridge the gap. The part number for the thermostat kit for both bikes is the same  #77535026033.  It almost seems impossible that the same part on the same bike has plenty of clearance on one bike and insufficient clearance on the other.

When you say   "the Thermostat it touches both the fuel tank and the radiator"....do you mean its touching them at the same time??....or if you push it forward or backward it can touch either the front or the back??

Its normal that if you push it forward or back that it will touch the rad or the tank...if that's what you're referring to...you do not have a problem....that's what its supposed to be like.

If you're saying that it touches both the tank and the rad at the same time...then you have another problem...not a thermostat problem. 

Maybe your aftermarket rad is much thicker than you think....or...more likely, maybe your aftermarket rads are designed that most of the depth of the rad sits further back from the rad's attachment point than it does on an OEM rad.  If that's the case, then the problem is that the rad sits too far back from the attachment points...not that the rad is too thick.

Compare your old OEM rads with your`re `new ones...do both rads have the same orientation between where the rad attachment bracket is located versus where the actual rad can (the part that holds the coolant)  sits?

I expect the problem is with your aftermarket rads...personally I would not try and go thru all the hassle and expense of diverting and repositioning hoses.  My suggestion would be to go to Mylers Rads  https://www.motorcycleradiators.com/    and get a rebuilt set of OEM rads for your bike....much cheaper than new and are guaranteed to fit your bike.

Cheap and simple without the hassle of fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Just curious...why are you replacing the rads..were they leaking or just all bent out of shape??           

Edited by travertt