AMA CBD Statement

https://racerxonline.com/2019/02/15/ama-issues-statement-on-cbd-oil-sponsorship

The American Motorcyclist Association today issued a statement regarding CBD product sponsorships in Monster Energy AMA Supercross. Going forward, all CBD sponsorships will not be allowed in the pits, nor will any rider be allowed to race “with logos or other promotional displays on their person, their uniform, their gear, or on their bike.”

The issue arose earlier this year when Dean Wilson, then running his own program, showed up to Anaheim 1 with Ignite logos. Ignite, which is owned by Dan Bilzerian, a huge personality on social media, produces CBD oil (the brand also sells marijuana, but Dean is only sponsored by the CBD oil sector of the brand. CBD oil is made using hemp, however it does not contain THC, so you can’t get high from use of it). You can read the original story here.  

Last weekend in Minneapolis, JGR/Yoshimura Suzuki’s Chad Reed showed up with cbdMD logos across his helmet. The company is a personal sponsor of Reed’s. Why was Chad allowed to run the logos and Dean wasn’t?

If you're wondering what the difference was between Dean Wilson's Ignite CBD oil sponsorship logos not being allowed at the early rounds and Chad Reed's cbdMD logo that popped up on his helmet this past weekend, so were we—and so was Feld Entertainment, the AMA, and NBC. Contrary to popular opinion (and the obvious direction things are going), CBD is still not legal in all 50 states, and until federal regulations say otherwise, it's problematic for both broadcaster and event promoters to allow the logos to be run by athletes.

The inconsistency of Wilson not being allowed to run Ignite but Reed being allowed to run cbdMD on his helmet was a matter of both location and timing. CBD oil is legal in Minnesota, but advertising it comes with specific provisions. However, it has been seen before on athletes in U.S. Bank Stadium during the X Games, which airs on a different network. Apparently, no one knew Reed was going to have this new sponsor until the day of the race, and then it became too late to track down the lawyers to get a clear ruling, so he was allowed to wear it, so long as he took full responsibility for any fines or penalties that may come. (Also, unlike Wilson's sponsor Ignite, cbdMD does not use the same logo to sell cannabis.)

Now, for this weekend's race in Texas, where CBD oils are not legal, no CBD logos will be allowed on the bikes or riders. And in order to avoid any more controversy or inconsistencies before new federal regulations are announced, officials will not allow any rider in the pits or on the racetrack to display CBD oils sponsorship or logos until further notice. 

AMA Statement

Due to the ongoing issues arising from CBD Product sponsorships, we are providing the following notice to riders and their teams.

- The law regarding CBD products, including their lawful sale, possession, advertising, and sponsorship of them, is unsettled. Notwithstanding the change in federal law in December 2018, there are no federal regulations in place yet on how these products can be advertised or promoted. CBD and related products are not completely legal in all 50 states and there are various restrictions on their sale and promotion.

- Signage or promotional displays for CBD-related products will not be allowed in the pit areas. 

- No rider will be allowed to race with logos or other promotional displays on their person, their uniform, their gear, or on their bike.

- The AMA will be enforcing this at inspection points and at any other time a violation is brought to the attention of Feld Motor Sports or the AMA. Riders will be required to cover or remove any logo before being allowed to race and at no time during the event are the display of CBD-related logos permitted. Failure to comply with this will result in a rider being removed from a race or denied entry.

- In addition, sanctions may be applied pursuant to the AMA Supercross rule book for any rider who violates this policy.

- This will remain in effect until further notice.

Edited by jetfuel
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

31 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

The American Motorcyclist Association today issued a statement regarding CBD product sponsorships in Monster Energy AMA Supercross. Going forward, all CBD sponsorships will not be allowed in the pits, nor will any rider be allowed to race “with logos or other promotional displays on their person, their uniform, their gear, or on their bike.”

The issue arose earlier this year when Dean Wilson, then running his own program, showed up to Anaheim 1 with Ignite logos. Ignite, which is owned by Dan Bilzerian, a huge personality on social media, produces CBD oil (the brand also sells marijuana, but Dean is only sponsored by the CBD oil sector of the brand. CBD oil is made using hemp, however it does not contain THC, so you can’t get high from use of it). You can read the original story here.  

Last weekend in Minneapolis, JGR/Yoshimura Suzuki’s Chad Reed showed up with cbdMD logos across his helmet. The company is a personal sponsor of Reed’s. Why was Chad allowed to run the logos and Dean wasn’t?

If you're wondering what the difference was between Dean Wilson's Ignite CBD oil sponsorship logos not being allowed at the early rounds and Chad Reed's cbdMD logo that popped up on his helmet this past weekend, so were we—and so was Feld Entertainment, the AMA, and NBC. Contrary to popular opinion (and the obvious direction things are going), CBD is still not legal in all 50 states, and until federal regulations say otherwise, it's problematic for both broadcaster and event promoters to allow the logos to be run by athletes.

The inconsistency of Wilson not being allowed to run Ignite but Reed being allowed to run cbdMD on his helmet was a matter of both location and timing. CBD oil is legal in Minnesota, but advertising it comes with specific provisions. However, it has been seen before on athletes in U.S. Bank Stadium during the X Games, which airs on a different network. Apparently, no one knew Reed was going to have this new sponsor until the day of the race, and then it became too late to track down the lawyers to get a clear ruling, so he was allowed to wear it, so long as he took full responsibility for any fines or penalties that may come. (Also, unlike Wilson's sponsor Ignite, cbdMD does not use the same logo to sell cannabis.)

Now, for this weekend's race in Texas, where CBD oils are not legal, no CBD logos will be allowed on the bikes or riders. And in order to avoid any more controversy or inconsistencies before new federal regulations are announced, officials will not allow any rider in the pits or on the racetrack to display CBD oils sponsorship or logos until further notice. 

AMA Statement

Due to the ongoing issues arising from CBD Product sponsorships, we are providing the following notice to riders and their teams.

- The law regarding CBD products, including their lawful sale, possession, advertising, and sponsorship of them, is unsettled. Notwithstanding the change in federal law in December 2018, there are no federal regulations in place yet on how these products can be advertised or promoted. CBD and related products are not completely legal in all 50 states and there are various restrictions on their sale and promotion.

- Signage or promotional displays for CBD-related products will not be allowed in the pit areas. 

- No rider will be allowed to race with logos or other promotional displays on their person, their uniform, their gear, or on their bike.

- The AMA will be enforcing this at inspection points and at any other time a violation is brought to the attention of Feld Motor Sports or the AMA. Riders will be required to cover or remove any logo before being allowed to race and at no time during the event are the display of CBD-related logos permitted. Failure to comply with this will result in a rider being removed from a race or denied entry.

- In addition, sanctions may be applied pursuant to the AMA Supercross rule book for any rider who violates this policy.

What's next. No bud lite. There are dry countys. One could argue. Merica gotta love it. Watch the live pd show all the time. They taking people to jail for having a joint. I can drive down the road and by an eighth from a church.

Same country divided by what?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 777654321 said:

What's next. No bud lite. There are dry countys. One could argue. Merica gotta love it. Watch the live pd show all the time. They taking people to jail for having a joint. I can drive down the road and by an eighth from a church.

Same country divided by what?

Federally, weed is still illegal.  Technically speaking, the states that allow weed use and the people using weed are in violation of Federal law

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yzernie said:

Federally, weed is still illegal.  Technically speaking, the states that allow weed use and the people using weed are in violation of Federal law

Half the people in Texas are illegal. Pharmaceutical  company's run merica that's why. I dont smoke weed cause I get randoms. So to be federally legal I just became an alcoholic that somet times drinks way to much. But I'm federally legal.

• Like 9
  • Helpful 1

5 minutes ago, 777654321 said:

Half the people in Texas are illegal. Pharmaceutical  company's run merica that's why. I dont smoke weed cause I get randoms. So to be federally legal I just became an alcoholic that somet times drinks way to much. But I'm federally legal.

CBD/Hemp won't show up as a failure in a random drug test the THC content is too low.   There is no test for CBD use and it's a federally legal substance.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

Just now, 777654321 said:

So you could use cbd and not come up hot on ua.

I haven't failed one yet and don't know any CBD users that have, one is on house arrest basically and he has to test twice a day. 

If you are really worried about it use a CBD isolate product, they are 100% THC free.  I have gummy bears that are made from isolate.  Isolate means they extract the CBD from the plant, usually with CO2.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

15 minutes ago, MentalGuru said:

I haven't failed one yet and don't know any CBD users that have, one is on house arrest basically and he has to test twice a day. 

If you are really worried about it use a CBD isolate product, they are 100% THC free.  I have gummy bears that are made from isolate.  Isolate means they extract the CBD from the plant, usually with CO2.

Can you recommend a good brand / source for legit CBD?  I've been wanting to try it for awhile but there's a lot of bs on the market with very little actual CBD in it.

Just now, redrider144 said:

Can you recommend a good brand / source for legit CBD?  I've been wanting to try it for awhile but there's a lot of bs on the market with very little actual CBD in it.

My gummy bears are from justcbd.com but I've been having the wife buy them thru groupon.com(about 40% cheaper).  I get the 3000mg jar, each gummy has 12mg's.  Otherwise I go to the new CBD dispensary by me to buy it in bud form.   The wife uses CBD lotion to help with her rheumatoid arthritis and gets oil to take orally from the same place.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, jetfuel said:

AMA Statement

somebody had to break the ice..  

My wife and I own a marijuana dispensary in Oregon. We sell THC products as well as pure CBD products. We have a vendor out of the Eugene area that produces a CBD product we sell that is derived from fir trees. Not from hemp or cannabis plants. Really, I'm not kidding...

Randy

• Like 6
  • Helpful 3

3 hours ago, jetfuel said:

Contrary to popular opinion (and the obvious direction things are going), CBD is still not legal in all 50 states, and until federal regulations say otherwise, it's problematic for both broadcaster and event promoters to allow the logos to be run by athletes.

Yeah it's a real &%$#@!in mess right now too.  KS doesn't have medical mj, but the legislature just made CBD legal as long as its 0% THC.

There are states with medical mj, that technically CBD could still be illegal for recreational use, even 0% THC.  Totally insane, this bs needs cleared the &%$#@! up.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 3

Yes, in a sport where an entire "Factory" team is without a title sponsor,, lets limit incoming sponsorship dollars by putting the hammer down on an entire industry that has embraced and already tried to support the moto community. Smart move AMA. &%$#@!in retards. 

• Like 10
  • Helpful 3

11 minutes ago, StretchASU said:

Yes, in a sport where an entire "Factory" team is without a title sponsor,, lets limit incoming sponsorship dollars by putting the hammer down on an entire industry that has embraced and already tried to support the moto community. Smart move AMA. &%$#@!in retards. 

It isn't their fault.  The laws are completely &%$#@!ed right now, and they don't want to be responsible for enforcing different rules depending on what state they're in.  CBD is not 50 state legal, that Farm Bill didn't unequivocally make it legal in all way / shape / form.

Edited by redrider144