gatorfan

Acceleration Bumps - Upshifting

57 y.o. novice rider.

The local dog track I ride has nothing but concrete acceleration bumps. I'm finding it hard to hard to upshift thru these.

I've been practicing the proper technique of lifting foot off peg to shift but it's hard to due while bike is getting knocked around.

Should I work on upshifting with foot on peg in this situation? My understanding is this is the wrong way to shift.

It's hard to really narrow down a reply without writing a novel to cover all situations but the first thing you should do is make sure that your suspension is properly set up for the track, your weight and speed. Then when say exiting a turn, get on the gas early and try to pick up speed before the bumps. Once in the bumps, it is very hard to gain speed but easy to lose some, so go in a gear taller, weight over the back of the seat and keep the front end low.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Also, exiting a gear taller while momentarily feeding the clutch can get you farther out of the turn before needing to shift.

• Helpful 1

Lifting your foot off the peg makes no sense to me. Must be a new thing. The peg moves with the bike, as does the shifter...you will get much better control of your foot with it on the peg.

And short shift/clutch will help too.

I'm intrigued by this foot off the peg shifting, where did you hear about it?

• Helpful 1

foot off the peg has been the preferred way of shifting for as long as I’ve been following technique. It makes sense to me. Ball of foot, bang gear up, back to ball of foot. Going from ball of foot to heel to try to click up makes missing the shift more likely.

• Helpful 1

Maybe your left leg is losing contact with the frame of the bike when you take the foot off the peg? To be honest, I've never got the feeling that I'm losing grip on the bike when upshifting through bumps. I do consciously squeeze the bike with more pressure when going through a rough section.  Maybe try and keep the leg 'squeeze' on the frame even when your foot is off the peg. 

I learned to shift by moving the whole foot between the footpeg and the shifter because of advice from various coaches/fast riders both online and at the track. Same with the back brake. I also spend time watching the faster riders at the track, especially at corners, and try to see if they are really doing what is taught by typical mx coaches. I found none of the faster guys are trying to control the brake or shifter with their toe.

• Helpful 1

5 hours ago, temporarily_locked said:

foot off the peg has been the preferred way of shifting for as long as I’ve been following technique. It makes sense to me. Ball of foot, bang gear up, back to ball of foot. Going from ball of foot to heel to try to click up makes missing the shift more likely.

That actually makes sense....I'll take notice when I can ride again and get out. I may be doing it already and not noticed :mellow: Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1