Bryan Bosch

Zip Tie Shootout: What's the best brand?

I guess I'm a zip tie nerd cus I did find this slightly interesting cus I've recommend a number of times on TT about using GOOD zip tires to hold a tire to a rim to limp a bike back to the vehicle if you have a flat.

1318581851_20171110_1504201.jpg.6d48771aaecec65676d84001265cdf4a.jpg

Specifically the Thomas and Betts TY5277MX (or in that range). Probably not as cheap as any of the other ones (I get them for free) but IMO work extremely well. They also have metal etc options lots of info below.

http://www.tnb.ca/en/pdf-catalogues/metal-framing-fastening-and-identification/fastening-products/C-Fastening_Products-E.pdf

I'm bored and hope I'm being helpful :)

• Like 7
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, filterx said:

I guess I'm a zip tie nerd cus I did find this slightly interesting cus I've recommend a number of times on TT about using GOOD zip tires to hold a tire to a rim to limp a bike back to the vehicle if you have a flat.

1318581851_20171110_1504201.jpg.6d48771aaecec65676d84001265cdf4a.jpg

Specifically the Thomas and Betts TY5277MX (or in that range). Probably not as cheap as any of the other ones (I get them for free) but IMO work extremely well. They also have metal etc options lots of info below.

http://www.tnb.ca/en/pdf-catalogues/metal-framing-fastening-and-identification/fastening-products/C-Fastening_Products-E.pdf

I'm bored and hope I'm being helpful :)

Absolutely. Used them for over 30 years at work. The metal lock ones are very strong and lasts much longer in sunlight (the black ones) than anything else we ever found. 

• Like 2

should do the same test with a heat gun pointed at them so they are around 200* to see what they are like when near an exhaust, radiator etc

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ud_Luz said:

Absolutely. Used them for over 30 years at work. The metal lock ones are very strong and lasts much longer in sunlight (the black ones) than anything else we ever found. 

+1 

material spec for over traffic zip tie use by our state,  must be nylon (not plastic), have a stainless steel lock tab (not plastic) and 120 lbs hold rating.  Only know that because it was a question on a test I took once.

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, highmarker said:

+1 

material spec for over traffic zip tie use by our state,  must be nylon (not plastic), have a stainless steel lock tab (not plastic) and 120 lbs hold rating.  Only know that because it was a question on a test I took once.

Panduit makes outstanding ties too.

• Like 1

Black zip ties  always last longer than than the opaque ones.   The opaque ones fall apart much quicker when exposed to the elements. 

The black nylon 6/6 cable ties have better UV resistance. I haven't used a white cable tie in 20 years unless circumstances forced me to use one (temporarily). Everywhere else, I use a black cable tie. I also never use the ratchet style ties anymore. I use the non ratcheting cable tie with a stainless tang. They don't slip. They only way to remove them is cutting. I haven't needed the ultimate strength of a 100% stainless metal cable tie. Certainly not on a motorcycle. For holding hoses and electrical harnesses out of harms way, the Nylon is perfect, and semi-permanent.

The only place I would generically trust a white cable tie is in a low voltage indoor enclosed environment (computer cabinet).

• Like 1

Good information and surprised to see Harbor Freight and Walmart ties perform so well, I personally used Panduit at work for years but accessibility lead me to the Napa brand a while back for garage stuff.

16 hours ago, GCBC said:

should do the same test with a heat gun pointed at them so they are around 200* to see what they are like when near an exhaust, radiator etc

Personally I carry a few feet of bailing wire in a small bundle as well as a small needle nose vise grips in case I run and issues with hot areas or things that zip ties wouldn't work well. Also carry a few band clamp's in a couple of sizes and have used them and the bailing wiring for trail side fixes. As posted you can get steel zip ties but the bailing wire/band clamps are cheap and easy to get.

Was just looking at my 2 bikes and I've got 2 good zip ties holding the plate on my DRZ as well as using small  ones for my fuel lines on both bikes, and another small one for my 2 throttle cables. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles De Mar said:

I’m glad this isn’t another gas tank thread. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Is there a gas tank thread and is it anything like "Whats the best oil/tire" thread?

9 minutes ago, filterx said:

Is there a gas tank thread and is it anything like "Whats the best oil/tire" thread?

I thought we already decided that? The current hot topic is valve check intervals and air filter oils. Try to keep up ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2019 at 10:14 AM, filterx said:

I guess I'm a zip tie nerd cus I did find this slightly interesting cus I've recommend a number of times on TT about using GOOD zip tires to hold a tire to a rim to limp a bike back to the vehicle if you have a flat.  Specifically the Thomas and Betts TY5277MX (or in that range). Probably not as cheap as any of the other ones (I get them for free) but IMO work extremely well. 

I should have gotten some from you when I was there.  😥

We r coming back for sure. 😎    Starting to look like a bunch of the AB crew are coming with me too.  👍