Doc_d

School me on hydration packs

23 minutes ago, blt125230 said:

I have seen several places where those who own USWE hydration packs are very pleased.  With me being a larger than average size rider (220 lbs, 45 inch chest), I looked on the USWE website and good for them...they listed chest size range for some of their products, mostly the Ranger models.  Beware, largest listed chest size is 120 cm, which is about 47 inches; most go up to 110 cm.  I wear a body armor jacket for my riding (Fox Titan Sport), so no way the USWE will go over my protection.  Too bad as I was really hoping a USWE would work for me. 😞 

I have a 44" chest (though I'm 185 lbs) and also have the Fox Titan jacket (as well as the Alpinestars Bionic). My Ranger 9 goes over my jacket (and Jersey, AND rain jacket even) without a problem. It actually has a little room to spare. So, I think you'd be fine. Keep in mind that the Fox jacket is a bit bulky, the Alpinestars is way better in my opinion (and the back protector isn't crazy tall like the Fox).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Horgh said:

I have a 44" chest (though I'm 185 lbs) and also have the Fox Titan jacket (as well as the Alpinestars Bionic). My Ranger 9 goes over my jacket (and Jersey, AND rain jacket even) without a problem. It actually has a little room to spare. So, I think you'd be fine. Keep in mind that the Fox jacket is a bit bulky, the Alpinestars is way better in my opinion (and the back protector isn't crazy tall like the Fox).

What about a standard plastic chest protector?   I've seen some people say they wear them under their chest protector but I definitely don't want to do that.  I had a pretty minor crash wearing my Camelbak with no check protector on and one of the tools I had in the camelbak punctured by back.   So I definitely want to keep the pack outside the chest protector.

Thanks!

Doc

2 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

What about a standard plastic chest protector?   I've seen some people say they wear them under their chest protector but I definitely don't want to do that.  I had a pretty minor crash wearing my Camelbak with no check protector on and one of the tools I had in the camelbak punctured by back.   So I definitely want to keep the pack outside the chest protector.

Thanks!

Doc

I'm not sure, I don't have any standard chest protectors, but they're similarly sized, no? I really think the USWE is designed to go over protection if you wear it based on how much you can adjust it.

• Like 1

Klim fuel pak period watch getting a cheap one because it may not go over your chest protector or gut either or if your not a string bean.

6 hours ago, nowayout said:

From user FilterX on the thread "

In the last topic about Hydration packs and this again came up, I emailed Camelbak asking where they stood on shared out door recreation use and someone personally called me and we talked for about 1/2 hour on this subject.

Just so you are aware, Camelbak is owned by Vista Outdoors who also owns Bell Helmets along with a large number of other out door companies and they DEFINITELY DO NOT lobby against power sports since they are actually trying to expand their bushiness into these markets

and 

"

The guy I spoke to on the phone was straight up and honest IMO. I explianed I live in Canada which IMO considering the amount of people vs how big the country is, regardless of what type of sport we are into we can generally all get along and work out how things are shared. I also explained that I have a pretty good understanding of the issues involved access in the USA  but realized its complicated and I'm open to understanding better

He then explained that Camelbak is now owned by Vista Outdoors https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands

And he then asked me if I owned Bell dirt bike helmet or how many people do?

Then if you look at the brands they carry, they understand that guys who hunt use ATV's and will need a helmet and a hydration pack etc and if anything they (Vista or one of their brands like Camelbak or Bell etc) are working towards reasonable shared access for everyone."

@filterx

That is all fine and dandy that they quote " DEFINITELY DO NOT lobby against powersports", which I believe they do not. HOWEVER, the groups that they donate to ALL DO lobby against us. It would be different if Camelbak donated to some pro ORV groups too.

Joe

• Helpful 1

On 2/16/2019 at 10:31 AM, Doc_d said:

Do you just drill a hole in the front of you helmet to run the hose through?   Is the bite valve anything special or different than a standard camelbak bite valve?

I believe there are stand-alone systems and systems that integrate with a chest protector.  Are there any pros or cons to going one way or the other?  I don't mind spending the money on a new chest protector with an integrated hydration system if there's an advantage.  Some of the hare scrambles / sprint enduros here use MX tracks and I'm wondering if the kind integrated with the chest protector would stay put better over the jumps.

Thanks!

Doc

It depends on the type of helmet you have. Some have a removable mouth piece with foam behind it, and you can just poke a hole through the foam and punch the drinking tube through. Others, like my Arai, have a steel mesh mouth guard and you have to either drill a hole, or bend the bottom part in to allow the tube through. The bite valve is the same as what you're used to on a Camelback. I just bought a USWE XC hydration pack with hand free kit and it's awesome. The other positive over other systems is their unique mounting system that will not move around on your body at all, and is highly adjustable.

image.thumb.png.82a656ddef8ea2eb345cb6111797c23d.png

The best integrated protection/drink system unit I have seen is the Fly Racing Stingray ready-to-ride hydration kit. The advantage to this system is a fully integrated chest protector with drinking system and storage space, so you don't have to spend time adjusting your own unit to fit whatever chest protector you have, and it moves around much less (virtually not at all) but not as good as the NDM rig from USWE.

image.thumb.png.995c5a0b4f2acdbaa2a1d0f8fd095102.png

• Like 1

I'm a real big fan of the Kriega setup. I have the r20 and the quality is really good for the price. It is a little spendier than CamelBak, but like I said it's really good quality. What's sets it apart for me is the way it sits in your back. It rides high and tight for reduce strain.

12 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

That is all fine and dandy that they quote " DEFINITELY DO NOT lobby against powersports", which I believe they do not. HOWEVER, the groups that they donate to ALL DO lobby against us. It would be different if Camelbak donated to some pro ORV groups too.

Joe

If you plan on boycotting every company that gives free stuff to groups against ORV's your going to be hard up for choice in the market.

I don't care if camelbak gave free packs to trail runners, mine has lasted over ten years and it's getting replaced with another camelbak. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalamazoo said:

If you plan on boycotting every company that gives free stuff to groups against ORV's your going to be hard up for choice in the market.

I don't care if camelbak gave free packs to trail runners, mine has lasted over ten years and it's getting replaced with another camelbak. 

That attitude is how our rights (and not just off-road righters) are slowly being taken away. Money talks. Companies have no incentive other than profits. If they continue seeing dollars, they'll continue with their moral or political agendas. By the time you realize you've enabled them to do that, it'll be too late.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Horgh said:

That attitude is how our rights (and not just off-road righters) are slowly being taken away. Money talks. Companies have no incentive other than profits. If they continue seeing dollars, they'll continue with their moral or political agendas. By the time you realize you've enabled them to do that, it'll be too late.

You better start learning to sew your own clothing. 

• Like 1

I have a 70oz camelbak/pack that I added an insulated stainless steel water bottle to. So I have water and sports drink, so i have 2 drink tubes. Its a bit heavy with 2 loads of liquid but worth if for me as I like having gator aid to drink as well as water on a full days ride. 

Been using the MSR A4 for over a year now, 9 litre carrying capacity,  Love it!  Will probably buy a USWE Airborne 15 litre pack for the weekend/camping trips.  

Here’s my thoughts after 1 year of use

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 7:37 PM, blt125230 said:

I have seen several places where those who own USWE hydration packs are very pleased.  With me being a larger than average size rider (220 lbs, 45 inch chest), I looked on the USWE website and good for them...they listed chest size range for some of their products, mostly the Ranger models.  Beware, largest listed chest size is 120 cm, which is about 47 inches; most go up to 110 cm.  I wear a body armor jacket for my riding (Fox Titan Sport), so no way the USWE will go over my protection.  Too bad as I was really hoping a USWE would work for me. 😞 

i got the patriot and it stretches fine over my leatt 5.5 chest protector. I typically wear 3x shirts and have big shoulders and chest ( not just 3x for the gut) 

Only issue I have is that if I load up tools and otherstuff in the pack it starts to bounce a bit from the flex, but with just water and my wallet it stays snug

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys!  The big thing was learning that the USWE hands free kit is how guys are getting the bite valve into the helmet.  So I'll definitely be getting the USWE hands free kit.

I have a couple of Camelbaks already but might consider trying a USWE pack too.   My camelbaks do have a tendency to move around just riding easy trails.  The harescrambles and sprint enduro's here have a portion on MX tracks.  So I'm thinking it might be worth trying a USWE pack.

One thing I'll point out is I found a few reviews saying the USWE packs are too small for big guys even without a chest protector.  But then I found a video review that shows they come rigged for a smaller guy/girl but can be reconfigured for a bigger guy (or someone wearing a chest protector) by rearranging the straps (or possible cutting the straps).  I'm guessing the reviewers that said they returned them because they were too small didn't realize the straps had to be changed.

Doc

20 hours ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

i got the patriot and it stretches fine over my leatt 5.5 chest protector. I typically wear 3x shirts and have big shoulders and chest ( not just 3x for the gut) 

Only issue I have is that if I load up tools and otherstuff in the pack it starts to bounce a bit from the flex, but with just water and my wallet it stays snug

Some action shots wearing it:

DSC_0205-600x399.jpg

DSC_0674-299x450.jpg

• Like 1