adnohguy

Finally 2019 crf250f has arrived

Just got back from a local dealer and discovered that the new 250f has arrived.

They had one in the showroom floor.

IMG_0651.thumb.JPG.15cf81d1b86fabe35ffb50630f985897.JPGIMG_0652.thumb.JPG.17740a228690830b414774eae99148b9.JPG

A few quick observations:

Header pipe is really small, looks same diameter as a stock 230f?

Steel rear sprocket appears larger than a stock 230.

Steel handlebars also.

Shorty front brake lever but stock clutch lever is really long like a 230f.

Six flat steel engine mounts that can made from aluminum easily.

Steel rear brake lever looks real heavy.

Rear axle is hollow. Swing arm bolt is not.

Steel shift lever appears same as 230f?

Steel foot peg assembly’s, while not as huge as a on a 230, have massive plates that bolt peg mounts to frame.

Crf 250-450r pegs brackets very easy to adapt. (Much lighter)

Does not have a large dash assembly like has been shown on 250f from other country’s.

IMG_0653.thumb.JPG.21f88a7e06f182c66d1d247d9bd4e6ab.JPG

So to save some weight easily:

Aluminum rear sprocket

Aluminum shift lever

Shorty clutch lever

Aluminum handlebars.

Ditch stock foot peg brackets,

Install 250-450r foot peg brackets.

Gun drill swing arm pivot.

Fabricate all six engine mounts from aluminum.

Shorai battery.

Aluminum snail Chain adjusters.

Once I receive my aluminum kick stand from E-Bay, it should fit the same as the 230f (will post if any weight savings are proven)

Not as easy weight savings:

Fabricate all axle/wheel spacers (including inside hubs) from aluminum.

Lighten flywheel.

Port/match ports in cylinder head.

Possible Performance improvements without the requirement of changing fuel map?

Fabricate Larger header pipe.

Advanced key in fly wheel.

Port/match cylinder head ports.

Tighten up squish clearance with gaskets with less thickness.

Advance stock cam timing by 2 degrees.

Modify stock center muffler baffle.

Not really sure how many (if any) can be done to improve performance with out a “remap” ?

• Like 2

I went and looked today too. I just wanted to get an overall vibe of it. I would not do any mods to it other than maybe a pipe when they come out, so not really worried about specifics. It is what it is. 

I like it.

IMG_0690.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for posting the pictures. My local dealers are sold out of the new CRF-250F. How did it feel sitting on it compared to the Honda CRF-230F. I really like this bike, these pictures make me like it even more. I like that Honda is at least putting out new models even though motorcycle sales are down. I have read that this will be the last year for the Honda CRF-230F but for a few more dollars you can buy the new CRF-250F. I already have a 2015 CRF-230F that I will keep forever. So I am wanting to get a new bike. Just want to read some tests on the new CRF-250F to know more information.

6 minutes ago, gspartsguy said:

Thanks for posting the pictures. My local dealers are sold out of the new CRF-250F. How did it feel sitting on it compared to the Honda CRF-230F. I really like this bike, these pictures make me like it even more. I like that Honda is at least putting out new models even though motorcycle sales are down. I have read that this will be the last year for the Honda CRF-230F but for a few more dollars you can buy the new CRF-250F. I already have a 2015 CRF-230F that I will keep forever. So I am wanting to get a new bike. Just want to read some tests on the new CRF-250F to know more information.

They had a 230 next to it and I sat on both. To me the 250 felt a TINY bit taller. Other than that it felt the same to me. I did not pay any attention to the girth of it. I'm 5' 11"~ and 190 pounds. I was just trying to get a feel of the bike to see if I felt too big for it. I dont want to buy one of its going to feel like a pit bike. The answer to that was no. I thought I would be flat footed sitting on it, but that was not the case, I was on my toes. 

I like it. I would highly consider buying one. The bike has been out in Brazil for a while and no complaints coming out of there. Parts should start coming in really soon. I would not hesitate being a first buyer and i'm the type who is a "wait and see" when new things come out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Titanman said:

What was the price tag?

MSRP 

I think it was $4,599? 

IMG_0689.jpg

• Like 3

I noticed that the bike was smaller in width and height than a normal MX bike just like the 230f.

It really felt about the same as a 230f

The handle bars were about two inches lower than I like.

Didn’t feel any more heavy than a 230 when leaning it over side to side either.

IMO:
Will be pretty easy to remove at least 10-15 lbs.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

I noticed that the bike was smaller in width and height than a normal MX bike just like the 230f.

It really felt about the same as a 230f

The handle bars were about two inches lower than I like.

Didn’t feel any more heavy than a 230 when leaning it over side to side either.

IMO:
Will be pretty easy to remove at least 10-15 lbs.

I am using the Renthal CRF-150R Adult Bars on my 2015 CRF-230F. I really like them and the stock controls and my Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards work with no problems. They are the exact same bend as the stock CRF-230F steel bars but are taller. You can check out the differences on Renthals website. It sounds like the 2019 CRF-250F might have some potential. I saw that Ramz bought one so he will have some good feed back coming.

1 hour ago, Rockinar said:

They had a 230 next to it and I sat on both. To me the 250 felt a TINY bit taller. Other than that it felt the same to me. I did not pay any attention to the girth of it. I'm 5' 11"~ and 190 pounds. I was just trying to get a feel of the bike to see if I felt too big for it. I dont want to buy one of its going to feel like a pit bike. The answer to that was no. I thought I would be flat footed sitting on it, but that was not the case, I was on my toes. 

I like it. I would highly consider buying one. The bike has been out in Brazil for a while and no complaints coming out of there. Parts should start coming in really soon. I would not hesitate being a first buyer and i'm the type who is a "wait and see" when new things come out. 

I usually like to wait and see myself on new model bikes. This one just makes me want to go, pay cash and buy it. I am just not interested in any other new bikes at this time. I am also always looking for any nice clean Honda CRF-230F (like new) models to buy for a deal too. Thank you for all of your feedback.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adnohguy said:

Just got back from a local dealer and discovered that the new 250f has arrived.

Nice write-up Adno. Looking at it I'm wondering about the swingarm. Steel? Aluminum? If it's steel it might be possible to fit an aluminum one from another bike on there. Plenty of choices available on E-Bay and at scrap yards. Possibly save 3-4 lbs. right there.

• Like 1

Just went and checked the specs. They're claiming 265 lbs. with a full tank. That's not too terrible bad, especially in light of the obvious, easy weight savings Adno mentioned. I also noticed the fork: 41mm. Big enough to maybe warrant keeping on there. I'd imagine it would probably need attention to address damping/spring rate issues for serious riding. The shock? We'll have to wait for a full ride report.

• Like 1

Nice write-up Adno. Looking at it I'm wondering about the swingarm. Steel? Aluminum? If it's steel it might be possible to fit an aluminum one from another bike on there. Plenty of choices available on E-Bay and at scrap yards. Possibly save 3-4 lbs. right there.

Swing arm is aluminum already.

Forks are beefier indeed, they do look much heavier than the 230f.

Lower tree is steel like the 230f.

The rear wheel assembly, and all components for the rear disk brake, rear master cylinder, caliper bracket, master cylinder bracket, and especially the brake peddle assembly all look extremely heavy (overkill) to me. (Something That could have been designed for a 650 Duel sport)

IMO:

There is no way that all of those components are lighter than the 230f drum brake....

Frame looks much more busy with more brackets, tabs, tubing than the 230f.

Much more of a “perimeter” frame than the 230f.

I believe that I read that the frame alone was an extra 5 lbs. by itself?

All dressed up, and ready to ride:

RicksNewHonda.jpg.fa04b7a36c4781030bffff76acc845ba.jpg

:ride:

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ramz said:

All dressed up, and ready to ride:

:ride:

Give us a ride report when done. 

Edited by Rockinar

Seems all the work you guys are willing to do and pay for with a 4500 dollar bike would be better spent spending a grand more and getting a left over 250r? Forks, axles, ignition woodruff key changes....just buy an mx bike

• Like 2

8 hours ago, adnohguy said:

Swing arm is aluminum already.

Indeed, bummer.

Forks are beefier indeed, they do look much heavier than the 230f.

Yeah, aren't the 230's forks 37mm's?

2 hours ago, Rockinar said:

Give us a ride report when done

Yes, by all means.

Edited by Doogee57
spacing

21 minutes ago, hondaman331 said:

Seems all the work you guys are willing to do and pay for with a 4500 dollar bike would be better spent spending a grand more and getting a left over 250r? Forks, axles, ignition woodruff key changes....just buy an mx bike

Yeah I don't understand. If you wanted a much faster and lighter bike, then get the R or buy a 125 two stroke or something. The XR250 (thats what it is) is what it is. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rockinar said:

then get the R

I've got an "R" (pictured at left, 213 lbs. w/empty tank) and I've ridden it in the woods. On 2nd thru 4th gear stuff it's a blast and I can rock on it. But when the going gets truly gnarly, climbing over boulders, roots, down trees, and knuckle bustin tight stuff my 88 XR200 is really a better ride. It weighs 215 with an empty tank. And when the trail opens up it's not too bad. Beefing up the high speed capability of a 230 or 200 can give my "R" fits when the going gets faster and you still retain that user friendliness on the slower, gnarly stuff. And that, boys and girls, it what makes the 230/200 so endearing.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1