Have a 2016 Ktm500exc and bike won’t start when I kick it or when I try use electric start but I can push start the bike but it won’t idle and its not running right it bogs out and wont run right small bits of black smoke nothing major I had mechanic check hole bike over cleaned filters injectors replaces spark plug and still not right

if you can only bump start it, could be the valves are tight...thats one of my top guesses with that symptom.

• Like 2

Coil wire damage or torn spark plug boot?  Corroded ground connections? Bad battery?

How does it sound or what happens when you try to use the e-start?

• Like 1

Coil wire damage or torn spark plug boot?  Corroded ground connections? Bad battery?
How does it sound or what happens when you try to use the e-start?

It just turns over but only sparks once every few turns not a constant spark but if I kick it will give constant spark

9 minutes ago, James500exc said:

It just turns over but only sparks once every few turns not a constant spark but if I kick it will give constant spark

I think you have the answer... you need three things to make the bike go: air, fuel and spark. Sounds like you're missing the spark.

Start tracking it back to figure out why. Again, a cracked spark plug boot, bad coil wire, bad coil... start testing.

Check the pickup coil. They go bad on occasion. Also check the fuel pressure.  Sometimes the in tank filter or hose can split leading to low fuel pressure which causes problems.  You can also remove the gas cap and look into the tank when the pump is running and look for fuel swirling around. That would indicate a split somewhere.

Edited by sirthumpalot

It will drive if I push start it so I don’t think spark is the issue could be wrong though and think the fuel would stop the bike starting completelycould be wrong this bike is driving me mad maybe a trip to the dealership and onto a diagnostic

Can’t remember exact number my mechanic said but I recall him saying compression is very strong so not likely to be that

"If your knowledge cannot be put in numbers, it is of a vague and insignificant type." Uknown

Did you not get a diagnostic sheet recording all these values that were checked and verified against the factory specifications?

And why did it not run when your mechanic was done with it?

Edited by Beta300recat
  • Like 1

"If your knowledge cannot be put in numbers, it is of a vague and insignificant type." Uknown
Did you not get a diagnostic sheet recording all these values that were checked and verified against the factory specifications?
And why did it not run when your mechanic was done with it?

Nope never received sheets off the mechanics of any recordings he fixed all my older bikes so didn’t sought him when he told me that it had plenty of compression and it still drives don’t think it would drive with no compression

did this start happening right after getting it back from your mechanic? Have you talked to him about this?

No I have him the bike with the problem and he said needs to be hooked up to a diagnostic from a ktm dealer but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before bringing it to the dealership