Titanium bolts vs oem factory bolts.....how much of a difference?

44 minutes ago, Budlite said:

have any of you guys priced a ti bolt kit......scary

That's for sure! It sure would cost a lot more now...and especially if paying retail prices. But I'll likely be selling the YZ144 so at least the fasteners will reap some of the dollars back.

15 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

It's a limit they consider safe. What if you then got wheels with 24 instead of say 36 spokes? I have no doubt they can make a 210 lb bike, just use thinner metal in every component, but I think bikes would be pretty much disposable in a short amount of time. 

Yeah, and after seeing some of those broken KTM frames maybe the diet went a bit too far. It's a dollar thing too, as things like magnesium hubs saved weight, but cost too much. Back in the day the factories would run things like mag hubs and carbs. I can remember reading about how they cut a inch off of the levers and re-welded the ball end back on on a TZ250 and got 1 extra mph down the straight due to decreased wind resistance at Daytona. Guess when your going 150mph it makes a difference!

Edited by mrdsee

6 hours ago, woods-rider said:

Most would not notice a 2-5 lb reduction in weight on a 250 lb machine. Many like to think they would notice, but they would not.

I have said this before, but I think it would be interesting if a magazine did a blind test where they would add and remove weight from a bike and the rider had to guess how much was added or removed. Do it with multiple testers (sensitive guys) and some average joe racers.

I am not a slow rider (A class) but I would guess that my ability to sense weight on a bike is right around the 20lb mark. I may be less sensitive than some, but people who say they can tell a 1% change in bike weight are full of themselves.

Dude, I can tell when my bike is muddy. A big difference. Maybe I'm just sensitive

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

It's a limit they consider safe. What if you then got wheels with 24 instead of say 36 spokes? I have no doubt they can make a 210 lb bike, just use thinner metal in every component, but I think bikes would be pretty much disposable in a short amount of time. 

Weight vs durability is a vicious cycle. The heavier it gets, the greater the forces are applied to the whole structure requiring it to be stronger which in turns adds weight.  We are unable to experience the other end of the spectrum as no one can race one. KTM has lightened them up considerably but can't go further because of the rule. Saying that they would be a piece of junk and break easily is conjecture just as saying that a lighter bike would be ok. The rules are preventing this from being tested. Unless the rule changes we will never know.

Edited by Budlite
  • Like 2

Speak for yourself then, don't assume because you can't feel a difference others shouldn't either.

I am speaking for myself, and I will make any assumptions that I please. I don’t believe that you can feel a 3 lb change in your bikes weight. If you think you can, then great, I just don’t believe it without proof. I’m not sure why you are so caught up in my opinion.

Dude, I can tell when my bike is muddy. A big difference. Maybe I'm just sensitive

You could be sensitive. It could also be 50 lbs of mud...

Here’s my bike after a 24 hour mud race (and a 3 hr drive home in the rain). I could feel the weight difference, but it was for sure more than 20 lbs of mud too.

IMG_0036.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

I am speaking for myself, and I will make any assumptions that I please. I don’t believe that you can feel a 3 lb change in your bikes weight. If you think you can, then great, I just don’t believe it without proof. I’m not sure why you are so caught up in my opinion.

Like I said, because YOU can't feel the difference doesn't mean other can't. Some are just better riders/testers then others.

• Like 1

Like I said, because YOU can't feel the difference doesn't mean other can't. Some are just better riders/testers then others.

Very true, but I am of the opinion that only world class riders/testers can detect such a minute change in bike weight. I am making the assumption that you are not one of them.

1 hour ago, woods-rider said:

Very true, but I am of the opinion that only world class riders/testers can detect such a minute change in bike weight. I am making the assumption that you are not one of them.

You’re arguing with someone who said titanium parts makes the chassis way stiffer, what’s the point? You might as well debate flat earthers on YouTube.

• Haha 3