I don’t know that the KTM 300 is significantly different.  All of the 300s are great bikes in one way or another.  I’d first just sort of run yourself through a decision tree and see where you end up.  Do you want a 2t? Yes. Do you want a 250 or a 300 - do you like to have it rev better and ride on the pipe more? Yes? Then get a 250. Do you like to lug more, have more forgiveness in gear selection, etc.? Yes? Then get a 300.  Now, you have to decide whether you want linkage or not. Do you ride a lot of whoops, sand, higher speed stuff? Yes? Then you probably want a linkage bike.  Do you ride lots of technical, rocky stuff?  Yes? Get a KTM XC-W w/ PDS.  If you decide you want a linkage bike, then You’re generally faced with a KTM, Husky, or a Beta.  (Yes, I know there are other manufacturers, but if you’re a weekend warrior, I would stick with these 3).  You really can’t go wrong with any of the 3.  You might not be “unique” if you’re on a KTM XC or XC-W 300, but I like being amongst a bunch of fellow KTM’ers because when I’ riding in the middle of nowhere, between all of us, we damn near have enough spare parts to build a bike.  That’s good piece of mind for me when I’m riding 100 miles from he nearest motorcycle shop.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

The KTM 300 is the only 300 I've ridden but for my type of riding which is mostly desert single track mixed with some faster double track mixed with some higher speed washes, its the best bike I've ever ridden, hands down.  I came off riding a 450 for the last 4 years.  I liked riding the 450 a lot, still have it in the garage actually.  Thing I loved about the 450 was the bottomless torque down low in the RPM. I've always been a rider that enjoys riding in the lower RPM ranges and the 450 is amazing for this.  You can literally lug the bike everywhere and with little cracks of throttle you can go up anything.  The thing I dont like is the weight.  Its not even the weight on the scale its how it feels on the bike when you're riding single track.  This is where the 300 is the best of both worlds for me.  You can lug the 300 and it will just tractor up stuff with easy and yet it still feels (to me at least, after riding a 450 for years) like a damn 125.  I used to hate the vibration of my old 2 strokes, the new 300s make my 450 seem like a 97 cr250.  These new 300s just purr, they're so smooth its crazy. I chose the 300xc because I just prefer the feel of a linkage rear suspension and also because I didn't want to get a TPI just yet.   There's a lot of hype out there about the 2 stroke 300s so I had to buy one and see for myself what it was all about.  I NEVER thought I would buy a new 2 stroke bike off the showroom floor but I did and I couldn't be happier with it.  My 450 has been getting spiderwebs on it.

• Like 5

The biggest difference is that it has the very best engine of all two strokes which ever have been built with literally no vibrations due to the CB shaft. Simple as that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The biggest difference is that it has the very best engine of all two strokes which ever have been built with literally no vibrations due to the CB shaft. Simple as that.

I figure they make an all day ride a bit less strenuous.  :ride::thumbsup:

Edited by TheSlayer
  • Like 1

I thought my old 4T was a tractor and was the perfect bike to lug - until I bought the 17 300 - when jetted and running properly it is unstoppable.

The KTM counter balancer on 17+ bikes is icing on the cake, ride another brand and it is night and day vibration wise.  The CB also seems to contribute to the tractor like motor feel, if you ride technical trails or consider yourself the type of guy who likes to ride "off" the pipe there is no better choice than the 300.

Edited by Mikek671
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, motogringo said:

How is the KTM 300 different from any other big bore 2T on the market, and is it a good choice for a weekend warrior type rider? Thanks! :)

All 300s 2T are superior, but a '17+ KTM 300 is most superior.  @Sycamore can explain it better than I can.

Yes it's great for weekend warriors or hardcore racers.  

Edited by redrider144

On 2/17/2019 at 1:16 PM, motogringo said:

How is the KTM 300 different from any other big bore 2T on the market, and is it a good choice for a weekend warrior type rider? Thanks! :)

I wouldn't call a 300 a "big bore", however today it's the biggest mass produced 2 stroke motor on the market. 

And yes, it will serve you well for weekend warrioring. Don't know what you're riding now, but if it's a 4 stroke there will be a slight learning curve, but trust me you will see the light.

It's the biggest you can buy ,but you would not call it big ,sounds funny

I'm curious to ride a KTM 300 in the future, the hype & the fact that its not a common engine displacement. I played it safe buying a 18 450 XC-F a while ago cuz its all the power & bottom-less torque u could ever need, no 2T power-band, & that's what I'm used to riding. My 450 is really nice though, couldn't be more impressed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/18/2019 at 10:24 AM, Mikek671 said:

I thought my old 4T was a tractor and was the perfect bike to lug - until I bought the 17 300 - when jetted and running properly it is unstoppable.

The KTM counter balancer on 17+ bikes is icing on the cake, ride another brand and it is night and day vibration wise.  The CB also seems to contribute to the tractor like motor feel, if you ride technical trails or consider yourself the type of guy who likes to ride "off" the pipe there is no better choice than the 300.

Agree. Last weekend ran a muddy harescramble and had no problem lugging my fat ass up and around fallen riders up hills and through ditches where they were digging themselves into holes and spinning on the top soil. 

Currently running lectron + vforce + FMF Gnarly & 2.1 powercore (or whichever the older skinny version is) then with the red spring turned in half a turn. 

• Like 1

Different scenario.

I bought a 2014 250SX with the SXS 300 kit installed by the dealer for the buyer. Previous owner also put on the Slavens S3 head. Jetted with the NECJ, 172 main and 40 pilot. Runs like it should.

Problem: I'm 53 and it's too much bike for me. 

Will the 300 XC head and CDI help tame it down? This would be in addition to the Gnarly, throttle cam, etc.

I appreciate any opinions.

22 minutes ago, MikeandNora said:

Different scenario.

I bought a 2014 250SX with the SXS 300 kit installed by the dealer for the buyer. Previous owner also put on the Slavens S3 head. Jetted with the NECJ, 172 main and 40 pilot. Runs like it should.

Problem: I'm 53 and it's too much bike for me. 

Will the 300 XC head and CDI help tame it down? This would be in addition to the Gnarly, throttle cam, etc.

I appreciate any opinions.

Yes to 300 XC head / CDI and milder throttle cam making it smoother.

Edited by redrider144

Yes to 300 XC head / CDI and milder throttle cam making it smoother.

You can tune the bike to do what ever you like pretty much. Very easy to ride imo but hits hard if/when you want it.
300XC all the way imo.

Thanks for the responses. I agree...this bike can do just about everything.

I also know the PV has numerous adjustments, so I'm also going to start with that.

What's the biggest bang for the buck if I'm looking to tame it down?

Gnarly

Throttle cam

XC head

XC CDI

18" rear

What should be the order of installation?

Am I missing any of the big ones?

22 hours ago, MikeandNora said:

I also know the PV has numerous adjustments, so I'm also going to start with that.

Gnarly

Throttle cam

XC head

XC CDI

18" rear

Start by disconnecting map wire under tank then swapping power valve springs along with trying various PV screw settings.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:02 PM, MikeandNora said:

Gnarly

Throttle cam

XC head

XC CDI

18" rear

Gnarly won't tame it down, just move it's nastiness lower in the rpm range. probably counterproductive in this case.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:58 AM, Doc Brown said:

Bah. 50cc too many to be called the "best". At best it's a confused displacement for a land-Ark. 

On 2/17/2019 at 2:16 PM, motogringo said:

If you want to party with the other wannabes, get the 300. Wait, you got yourself a 450? Bah, what's wrong with people? 

You guys like riding or driving around on golf carts?

You guys put your landarks away and throw on your loafers to head down to the Marina club?

You guys park the bike in the corner of the garage and hop on your Goldwing?

You guys slip off your alpinstars and into your slippers for afternoon tea?

FFS, get yourselves a 125 or 250 and have some fun riding.

2 hours ago, 7thirtyseven said:

Bah. 50cc too many to be called the "best". At best it's a confused displacement for a land-Ark. 

Ok I forgot the "300", so it must read  "the best 300 twostroke of all times". I wonder why I answer, your post's only intention is to piss other people off. If you dont have to contribute something to that theme why dont you &%$#@! off?

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Ok I forgot the "300", so it must read  "the best 300 twostroke of all times". I wonder why I answer, your post's only intention is to piss other people off. If you dont have to contribute something to that theme why dont you &%$#@! off?

I think it's her time of the month.  In a different thread, she declared that every engineer on the planet is a half-wit.

• Like 1