tenover

1982 XR80 - Rear wheel - 2 Questions

I'm working on a little project, getting a 1982 XR 80 out on the trails and have a couple questions.  I bought a rear wheel/hub off a used XR on EBAY.

1.) Looks like I'll have to replace the spokes.  Are all the spokes the same size or are there two different sizes?  Does anyone know where I can buy a full spoke kit for this model/year?

2.) The rear brake "panel" sits in the hub, however it doesn't seem to "seat", is this normal?  Should I be able to freely turn the wheel and have the brake panel kind of "spin freely" and have a tiny bit of side to side play?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I believe Honda lists the spokes as a set of “A” and “B” or inner/outer spokes and there are 18 of each on that bike (36 total). If you look closely at the hub you’ll see one spike has a 90 bend and then other is a bit wider. 

On the brake plate a pic would help and I have an ‘82 100 if you’d like to see what it looks like. The twin shock bikes uses a torque arm that connect to the brake plate on one end and on the swing arm near the pivot on the other. The pro-link single shock bikes used a rear brake plate with a slot to receive a boss on the swing arm similar to the front brake plate.

Thanks.  Trying to find out where I can order all the spokes....any idea?

Here's some pics of my hub, the brake panel and how the panel looks when sitting on the hub.  It just doesn't snap-in or sit flush...The entire brake panel kind of "rocks" back and forth a little bit like it's sittong too high on the hub.  Maybe this is how it normally is if not installed on the bike??

IMG_20190218_131003.jpg

IMG_20190218_131020.jpg

IMG_20190218_131029.jpg

IMG_20190218_131041.jpg

IMG_20190218_131111.jpg

Try Buchanon Wheel for spoke kits. eBay might have them but probably have to wait as they’re mostly repop stuff from Southeast Asia. Bikebandit.com can help you find OEM part numbers. As for the brake, your pads look shot. New are 4mm thick and service limit is 2mm IIRC. Try mounting the plate on the wheel with an axle holding them together and I bet it doesn’t rock. The brake plate fits over the hub to reduce dirt and water getting in.

Edited by FightingRed

Motosport or Partszillia have theninside and outside oem spokes (18 of each) for like $1.15 a piece for my 08 CRF.  Looks to fit a XR80 at least as far back as 1990.  Wonder if they are much different, than your year.

Thanks.  Looking into spokes.....I might have enough old ones from two other rear wheels to use.....As for the brake pads, yeah, I have a set coming.  Thanks all.

EDIT:  Looks like I was able to salvage enough old spokes to lace the rear wheel.  Stoked.  Didn't want to spend that $$!

IMG_20190219_171816.jpg

Edited by tenover

Buy the Acme 1150 Wheel Cleaner of Amazon. It'll clean that wheel right up.

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

Next question, regarding the stock exhaust/muffler.  There is a bolt/washer at the bottom of the pipe, at mid-length, underneath.  Doesn't seem to do anything and has a large gap, even when tightened down all the way.  What is this for??  Thanks.

IMG_20190224_161329.jpg