2 stroke rebuilds

i have a ‘97 cr 250 that runs like a raped ape, good compression, runs great,great power,, ive put 42 hours on it since ive owned it, and the last owner had it about a year, and was a weekend warrior at his local trail spot, i trail ride as well, not on the main a whole lot, run 40:1...

but i dont know when it last had a set of rings or a piston, and it has at least 40 hours on it just from me.. should i do a top end just to be safe? or why bother since it runs so good?

i have a ‘97 cr 250 that runs like a raped ape, good compression, runs great,great power,, ive put 42 hours on it since ive owned it, and the last owner had it about a year, and was a weekend warrior at his local trail spot, i trail ride as well, not on the main a whole lot, run 40:1...

but i dont know when it last had a set of rings or a piston, and it has at least 40 hours on it just from me.. should i do a top end just to be safe? or why bother since it runs so good?

Not a pro mechanic , but from my experience $150 worth of parts for another year or so of riding without worry is worth it

Not a pro mechanic , but from my experience $150 worth of parts for another year or so of riding without worry is worth it

i do agree with that logic haha, just would be my 1st top end rebuild and would hate to mess something up and it run any worse that it does rn

i do agree with that logic haha, just would be my 1st top end rebuild and would hate to mess something up and it run any worse that it does rn

I’m 15 and have done 3 bikes with no issues and I learned off of YouTube if I can do it you can probably do it too.
  • Like 1

40hr rode by weekend warrior its probably still good for many more hours. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, luke0415 said:

Anytime I buy a used 2 stroke the first thing I do is a fresh top end. That also gives you the opportunity to look at the cylinder, and such for any potential issues. Last bike I bought the piston C clip was coming out because the previous owner did not install it correctly and was a disaster waiting to happen. It was not a matter if "if" it was "when". Never trust what the previous owners say or do. 

20 hours ago, luke0415 said:

Top ends are easy. Just make sure you check ring end gap and do it PROPERLY and use the right tools.