SuperjetEnthusiast

85cc dirt bike registered as moped?

Has anyone tried to get there 80 or 85cc dirt bike registered as a moped. I need a way to get around for school next year, but I dont want to get a boring moped. Was wondering if anyone has converted there 85cc bike to street legal and was able to register it as a moped.

Here is what Michigan says about registering your moped 

A moped is defined by law as a motor vehicle with two or three wheels that:

Has an engine that does not exceed 100 cc piston displacement

Does not have a gearshift

Has a top speed of 30 mph or less on a level surface

Vehicles exceeding any of the criteria above must be registered and titled as a motorcycle. Other types of vehicles, such as electric scooters, “pocket rockets” and mini-choppers, may fit the definition of a moped or a motorcycle, but cannot be registered by the Department of State if they lack the equipment required by law to legally drive on public roads.

Edited by SuperjetEnthusiast

Does not fit the requirements to be considered a moped. Your bike fails the top speed and equipment requirements.

• Like 1

Yes, I know it doesn't fit the requirements, but I know it is possible to get around it. I have seen them registered as a moped before., just trying to see if anyone knows some work arounds or see how they have done it. 

Yes, I know it doesn't fit the requirements, but I know it is possible to get around it. I have seen them registered as a moped before., just trying to see if anyone knows some work arounds or see how they have done it. 

When you go to get it tested just say it doesn’t go out of first

22 minutes ago, Konithehitterrr said:

When you go to get it tested just say it doesn’t go out of first emoji23.png

I was thinking about just taking the shifter off and leaving it in first lol

• Like 1

Tusk sells a universal lighting kit I could use and for not going over 30 I figured I could just put some slop in the throttle cable so that it wont open all the way, just have to make sure that the throttle wont  stick. 

SO because others do it illegally it's okay?

Go ahead and just ride it without registering it then... Tell the officer some guy on the web said it was okay.

Boring mopeds? We had a lot of fun on a Yamahopper.

Why not just street legalize a dirt bike? Would be cheaper than getting busted with an illegal moped.

54 minutes ago, Evan D said:

Go ahead and just ride it without registering it then... Tell the officer some guy on the web said it was okay.

If you go to the DMV and pass inspection and meet their requirements then whats the problem? Now If I made those changes, got it registered, and then changed it back to how it was, then that would be on me. 

It’s the same thing with cars 🤷🏽‍♂️ stock car in order to get it inspected and then comes the straight pipe turbo and etc...
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Padilen said:

Boring mopeds? We had a lot of fun on a Yamahopper.

Why not just street legalize a dirt bike? Would be cheaper than getting busted with an illegal moped.

I wish I could, but my college only allows you to park bikes or mopeds on campus. Everything else has to be parked in a far commuter lot and then take a bus to campus. At that point it wouldn't be worth it for me.

6 minutes ago, Konithehitterrr said:

It’s the same thing with cars 🤷🏽‍♂️ stock car in order to get it inspected and then comes the straight pipe turbo and etc...

My truck has mods done to it that are not allowed by the state. I guess I should just take it off insurance and run it with no plates.

Has anyone tried to get there 80 or 85cc dirt bike registered as a moped. I need a way to get around for school next year, but I dont want to get a boring moped. Was wondering if anyone has converted there 85cc bike to street legal and was able to register it as a moped.

Here is what Michigan says about registering your moped 
A moped is defined by law as a motor vehicle with two or three wheels that:
Has an engine that does not exceed 100 cc piston displacement
Does not have a gearshift
Has a top speed of 30 mph or less on a level surface
Vehicles exceeding any of the criteria above must be registered and titled as a motorcycle. Other types of vehicles, such as electric scooters, “pocket rockets” and mini-choppers, may fit the definition of a moped or a motorcycle, but cannot be registered by the Department of State if they lack the equipment required by law to legally drive on public roads.

Spent a year or two in the same situation look for tomos lx’s and streetmate r’s really the only good mopeds out there for only about 300-700 and quick too slap a 70cc kit on it and it’ll go they are peppy two strokes with tons of aftermarket parts and communities

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:44 AM, SuperjetEnthusiast said:

If you go to the DMV and pass inspection and meet their requirements then whats the problem? Now If I made those changes, got it registered, and then changed it back to how it was, then that would be on me. 

Big if. IF DMV is doing their job they won't pass it.

All this is actually pointless. You do know what you are PROPOSING to do is both illegal and morally wrong, right?

Edited....

Edited by Evan D

16 minutes ago, Evan D said:

All this is actually pointless. You do know what you are doing is both illegal and morally wrong, right?

I haven't done anything wrong. The point of the post is to get some insight from people who have done this. If its not possible, then thats fine. The reason behind a forum is to ask questions about things and share your knowledge. I guess asking a question is morally wrong? If you cant provide anything constructive towards the question at hand, then why are you here?

20 hours ago, brando brap@youtube.com said:

Spent a year or two in the same situation look for tomos lx’s and streetmate r’s really the only good mopeds out there for only about 300-700 and quick too slap a 70cc kit on it and it’ll go they are peppy two strokes with tons of aftermarket parts and communities

Ill have to take a look at them, I know the tao tao's are garbage and Japanese mopeds can get pretty pricey.

7 minutes ago, SuperjetEnthusiast said:

I haven't done anything wrong. The point of the post is to get some insight from people who have done this. If its not possible, then thats fine. The reason behind a forum is to ask questions about things and share your knowledge. I guess asking a question is morally wrong? If you cant provide anything constructive towards the question, then why are you here?

I'm here to try and talk you out of doing something that might get you in trouble.... I understand and am fine if you don't want to listen.

And... it's a public forum. duh

7 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
22 minutes ago, Evan D said:
All this is actually pointless. You do know what you are doing is both illegal and morally wrong, right?

Morally wrong? Uhhno.

Yeah and then will get in trouble and complain about being singled out and unfair laws....

Most of us have decided to not comply with some law or rule in our life. I don't go on social media asking what people think about it though. Pfft Oregon... :)

Edited by Evan D
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Evan D said:

I'm here to try and talk you out of doing something that might get you in trouble.... I understand and am fine if you don't want to listen.

And... it's a public forum. duh

I emailed my secretary of state office and explained the situation. If they say no, then thats fine. Figured I mind as well try.