yophilly

XR200 long travel suspension 'on-the-cheap' Your thoughts?

So I have been riding and tinkering with a couple XR200's for the last few months, really enjoying the user-friendliness of the bike. (came off a Suzuki RMX250 two-stroke monster). I have been researching the long-travel 85-91 forks and shocks and stumbled upon an 85 XR200 basket case that I robbed the suspension from. I learned upon dis-assembly of the forks that the damper -rods are the only different item (besides the springs).

So i thought 'hell, I can cut and weld the damper rods to make them longer' I have two sets of the short ones sitting right here on the workbench. While I'm at it I can cut the mount off the rear shock and weld an extension to make it longer if that's all it takes! I have made shocks longer on quads for years to give them a little 'lift'; so why not on an xr?

What do you guys think?

Any suggestions on cheap fork spring options?

The progressive 11-1136 is obsolete, and race-tech springs are $189 plus you apparently need 'spacers' at an additional $49 plus shipping and it starts getting pretty expensive fast.

The 85+ XR200R forks are all basically the same except for length so just slip the 85 forks into the your triples. Basically the stanchions, damper rods, and springs all changed in 93 when the XR200R was lowered.

The 84-91 XR200R shocks are all the same and bolt on. You will need a bracket for the reservoir, I can usually remove a bracket from an unused frame and tack weld it to the new frame. 

The result is you will have a long travel XR200R. 

• Like 1

The outside of the damper rods need to run on a bushing/seal in the end of the tube.  To pull off the damper rod extension project you would need to be able to get them absolutely straight and then be able to machine the weld to perfectly match the outside dimensions of the rod.

It is certainly possible, but would be very hard to pull off.

We've used a spacer made from PVC pipe. Cut to desired length for stiffer springs.

44 minutes ago, arthur6 said:

We've used a spacer made from PVC pipe. Cut to desired length for stiffer springs.

From what I've read in quite a few posts on here, that seems to be a common practice for stiffening the springs. But will that change ride height or travel as well? 

It's a spacer is too long it'll limit travel. Three or four inches seems to be just right. 10in might be too long.

Also it can be hard to get the fork cap on.

I use PVC tubing to adjust ride height. I cut the lengths with a "chop saw" so they have square ends.  You can buy 2' lengths at Home Depot.  I've also used PVC to shorten fork travel but washers are needed on the ends to protect the plastic.