bluethunder77

Most expensive place in united states to buy a dirt bike/and vice versa

Was thinking the past couple days how dang expensive bikes are in the area I live (Idaho/Utah area). For example, a cr500 goes for $3,000 no question. Bikes that are 10 years old still sell for $3,200 to $4,000.

Are the prices of bikes this mad everywhere else? I find it hard to believe its like this everywhere. I cant even think of any justification of why folks around here think their bikes are worth so much for so long.

I'm not in the US (NZ), but for comparison, a new 450 is 13-15k here, a 10 year old bike is $3500-$4000, and older than that are still in the $3k area. They seem to stay about the same after they get older than that magic 10 year old mark.

Maybe it's because of what I always go on about, bikes haven't changed all that much for a long time. Lets be honest, the average guy would be bugger all better off performance wise on a new bike than a 10 year old one.

A big bore smoker (CR500/KX500 etc) is $6-7k regardless of age. Check out what these sell for in Aussie if you want a good laugh.

Around here a clean 2013 450f is same price as a clean 2003.  2500-3000.

42 minutes ago, bluethunder77 said:

Was thinking the past couple days how dang expensive bikes are in the area I live (Idaho/Utah area). For example, a cr500 goes for $3,000 no question. Bikes that are 10 years old still sell for $3,200 to $4,000.

Are the prices of bikes this mad everywhere else? I find it hard to believe its like this everywhere. I cant even think of any justification of why folks around here think their bikes are worth so much for so long.

That doesn't seem too out of line for northern Arizona. The CR500 is a classic and that sounds cheap. 10 year old bikes are priced based on condition and relative cost of new bikes. That doesn't sound way out of line either for a good one. :excuseme:

I find that almost all decent bikes in my area tend to cost $500-$1500 more than the same bike would almost anywhere else in the US. This is sort of understandable considering the demographics of my area but it can still be frustrating sometimes.

What's always amazed me when I'm looking to buy is the incredible lack of salesmanship displayed by sellers in my area. The vast majority of ads in my area have only one or two pictures where the camera lens looks like it has Vaseline smeared over it, and the description is nothing but a "NOLOWBALLSIKNOWWHATIHAVEDONTWASTEMYTIME" type rant that gets longer every time the add is reposted.

Am I just unlucky to live where I do, or are 99% of adds like that everywhere?

Not sure if things have changed recently, but Idaho, eastern Montana, the dakotas, and wyoming were the best places to get good deals on bikes. Keep in mind most the shit on craigslist has been sitting on there for a long time, the bikes that sell were probably only listed for a day or two, if you want a good deal you will need to be looking at it constantly not just at the idiots listing their bikes at double the value.

• Like 2

Interesting. I am just getting old I guess and times have changed. Everything is ridiculously priced. I will sit down, shut up, and stop complaining.... I guess.

The bikes in oregon don't seem that badly priced if they are less than 10 years old. Unless of course its a late model KTM without exception. Why bother with the hassle of a dealer when buying brand new when you can pay some dude full price for his used one. The older bikes are definitely overpriced in the 450 class. They are all the sas me price hammered or not. I think that's demographics. Dude sees a mint 450 for 5k and thinks his hammered shit is the same. 

The parts however are stupid. I have been looking at an fcr carb for my xr. The cheapest filthy right off the bike are $250 on ebay and go up to $700 and there is a ton of them. Up to 1000 if the throttle is included. You can buy two brand new holley 4 barrels for 700. You can get an aftermarket four barrel tbi with ecu for a grand and your going to pay that for a rebuilt 10 year old dirt bike carburator? A brand new mikuni hsr can be had for 300. No logic in it.

I think the refurb guys just buy every single one that is under 250 to keep the value up.

6 hours ago, bluethunder77 said:

Last bike I bought was my cr500 af.  It's an 88 motor in a 00 cr250 chassis.  I paid 2500 here locally for it. I'm in the Bozeman area. Sounds like I gathered a pretty good deal especially with the work it takes to get the 500 into an af. My wr450 I got new in 07. No need for me to look at any more bikes. Unless of course another cr500 pops up or even a kx500.

The most expensive place in the US to buy a used dirtbike is probably still cheaper then buying a bike up here in Canada lol. Not many old 2000+ 250 2ts for under $3k here unless it’s a total beater.
You can get a 4t for pretty cheap tho, like anywhere haha. The best part is you have to pay 12% tax and register and insure your new “cheap” bike!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, dittohead said:

The most expensive place in the US to buy a used dirtbike is probably still cheaper then buying a bike up here in Canada lol. Not many old 2000+ 250 2ts for under $3k here unless it’s a total beater.
You can get a 4t for pretty cheap tho, like anywhere haha. The best part is you have to pay 12% tax and register and insure your new “cheap” bike!

What do you mean, $3500 for a 99 CR 125 is low man. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, dittohead said:

Couldn't you say you paid say 500 bucks for a bike instead of 4k. Then the 12% tax wouldn't be so bad.  This would only work if buying from a private party as opposed from a dealer.

Couldn't you say you paid say 500 bucks for a bike instead of 4k. Then the 12% tax wouldn't be so bad.  This would only work if buying from a private party as opposed from a dealer.

Yup you can but if the price seems low to the insurance agent they sometimes ask why it’s so cheap. I’ve had to sign a paper with reasons why I got the bike so cheap. I just say it’s not running or it needs a bunch of repairs etc. At a dealer you obviously can’t do this. Paid $1100 in tax on my last bike, and it was used :(

The high cost of new bikes is what is propping up the prices in the used market. More and more people don't want to spend the high dollars for a new bike so used bikes are in high demand. 

• Like 3

Just paid 4500 for a 2012 300xcw. And he had guys knocking down the door to buy it. 

Edited by Bobatsea

The economy dictates price on used dirt bikes for sure. My Last bike was a 2007 KX250 I bought new I think in 07, paid around $7200 for it. I sold it with 50hrs on it 2 years later for $1500 and it was a pain to get rid of at the price even. It was really clean and had a fresh top end and new tires. Now that bike sells 10 years later for about $3000. Crazy ha and I like in SoCal. 

Used bikes here are insanely high. It was so frustrating that my wife and I bought new bikes after looking for months. A two year old bike is close to a new new bike prices. My friend just bought a 2010 GasGas “project bike” for almost $3000 and will probably have around $4000 in it when finished. Cracked main frame and sub frame. Blows my mind.

9 hours ago, Bobatsea said:

Just paid 4500 for a 2012 300xcw. And he had guys knocking down the door to buy it. 

Good lord. I payed $3600 for my ‘11xc 2 years ago, with 140 hours in it, and in excellent condition.  I did have to drive to Lafayette LA to get it though.  

8 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

Good lord. I payed $3600 for my ‘11xc 2 years ago, with 140 hours in it, and in excellent condition.  I did have to drive to Lafayette LA to get it though.  

Street plated and titled? Owned from new by a well respected motorcycle shop owner / mechanic? Zero hours on top end installed by said mechanic? 138hrs from new check. All the woods protective gear? Suspension already set up for your weight? Fresh rubber which happens to be the same tire set you typically run? Freshly serviced forks and shock. 

I thought it was the right price for the bike. Still do. Also the guy I bought it from I know well and have known the bike from new.

34 minutes ago, Bobatsea said:

Street plated and titled? Owned from new by a well respected motorcycle shop owner / mechanic? Zero hours on top end installed by said mechanic? 138hrs from new check. All the woods protective gear? Suspension already set up for your weight? Fresh rubber which happens to be the same tire set you typically run? Freshly serviced forks and shock. 

I thought it was the right price for the bike. Still do. Also the guy I bought it from I know well and have known the bike from new.

Well, it had Enzo suspension set up for my weight, and yes, all the woods protective gear.....the top end had 40 hours on it, titled, but could give a shit about street plates.

the the rest is just fluffy stuff that makes you feel better, but what's important is you feel it was the right price for the bike, therefore it is. 

Edited by 69fastback