XR650L Cam chain questions

My engine wasn't starting, which led me to very little compression, which led me to a new piston, rings, rebore. I am having trouble with the timeing. I rotate the timing but to tdc, I set the cam shaft in it's position with all lobes faceing down. Then install sprocket and chain. Tensioner, then bolts for sprocket. I tighten the first and using the timing bolt I rotate the shaft 180degrees to Install the other sprocket bolt. Then I check the timing by spinning the timeing bolt a few more rounds. Come back to check top dead center for the camshaft and it's not the same as I installed. Is somethibg slipping on the bottom end? Is it supposed to do this. I don't think so only because I tried starting the bike after the piston Install and it wouldnt start. I think timing is the problem. Is there a way to adjust anything on the bottom end sprocket and components to fix the problem?

I am on a trip from NY to cAnada and south to Argentina. Currently in Mexico and made friends with some locals who are letting me fix my bike and live with them.. I can get parts but they take a while to come looking for all perspectives to solve this problem. 

This is what's my timing chain is doing as well.. not sure if anyone knows the answer to his question..

Bet the cam chain isn't on the lower gear. It is being turned by friction of the chain between the gear teeth and the case.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1