Kallendbor

Bearing Maintenance

2015 KTM 450 SXF

So I know I need to go through my chassis to check bearings and lube or replace as needed.  what tools will i need to remove the bearings?  Just a Harbor Freight kit or two?

am I missing any bearings to check in this list?

Rear wheel

linkage

swingarm

steering stem

front wheel

I'm trying to get this in one place, rather than search for how to remove X bearing...

2015 KTM 450 SXF
So I know I need to go through my chassis to check bearings and lube or replace as needed.  what tools will i need to remove the bearings?  Just a Harbor Freight kit or two?
am I missing any bearings to check in this list?
Rear wheel
linkage
swingarm
steering stem
front wheel
I'm trying to get this in one place, rather than search for how to remove X bearing...

Get a bearing and seal driver kit as well at harbor freight will save you the headache of driving bearings in with a socket. You forgot upper and lower shock bearings.

12 hours ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Get a bearing and seal driver kit as well at harbor freight will save you the headache of driving bearings in with a socket. You forgot upper and lower shock bearings.

so a puller kit, and a driver kit, and i'l all set?

Lower shock bearings i thought were included in the linkage.  upper i meant to add but forgot.

Lower shock bearings i thought were included in the linkage.  upper i meant to add but forgot.

Depends on your bike. Ive never done shock bearings on a ktm but with my yz250 the bearings were in the shock itself. Thats all you should need. If you plan on pulling bearings i would go ahead and replace them. If not just pull the bearing cover off and pack it full of waterproof grease and put the cover back on.

They are!

29 minutes ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Depends on your bike. Ive never done shock bearings on a ktm but with my yz250 the bearings were in the shock itself. Thats all you should need. If you plan on pulling bearings i would go ahead and replace them. If not just pull the bearing cover off and pack it full of waterproof grease and put the cover back on.

I'm only pulling them if required, but i want to be prepared with the right tools on hand if I need to pull them (though i'll have to wait for the bearings to arrive... heh).

I'm only pulling them if required, but i want to be prepared with the right tools on hand if I need to pull them (though i'll have to wait for the bearings to arrive... heh).

How many hours does the bike have on it? If alot and the wheel bearings have not been changed, go ahead and do those, same with linkage and swingarm bearings just for preventive maintenance and peace of mind. A full kit for linkage/swingarm is usually $100. The upper shock bearing usually never needs replacing because it never sees the pressure washer or much major dirt. The neck bearings are fine if theres no roughness or notchy-ness in turning.

7 minutes ago, RidingWithStyle said:

How many hours does the bike have on it? If alot and the wheel bearings have not been changed, go ahead and do those, same with linkage and swingarm bearings just for preventive maintenance and peace of mind. A full kit for linkage/swingarm is usually $100. The upper shock bearing usually never needs replacing because it never sees the pressure washer or much major dirt. The neck bearings are fine if theres no roughness or notchy-ness in turning.

22 or so since I bought it, and supposedly only 25ish total .  legend has it, the first owner had only one hour on it.  PO put the hour meter on it when he bought it.  there is evidence the bike sat for a long time (hard coded gas stain in the tank at a certain level) but also evidence it's got a ton of hours on it (clutch cover and ignition cover wear).  I only have pressure washed it once, the rest of the time I use a regular hose, and never do i point directly at any bearings.  I want to go through the bearings mainly for preventative maintenance.  i read all the posts about people buying brand new bikes and going through everything, and I thought I should get ready to do the same.

A little fresh grease does wonders in terms of longevity. They are easy to clean and regrease.

As far as the engine run. It is not a strong indicator on hours. I know a few guys that can put 5 hrs on a bike and rub all of the coating off of a cover/case. My bikes typically don’t show significant wear until about the 40+ hr mark but I don’t have A class speed like the guys mentioned above. Environment in which the bike was ridden also plays a big role. Sand and wet conditions will create havoc on cases much faster than a perfectly prepped loamy track or dry track that doesn’t stick will.