Good idea or bad idea?

I know there was a thread awhile back having to do with ideas on quieting the bike down but I couldn't find it. One of them was a piece of 90 degree radiator hose which I am going to try but I'm wondering what if any are the downsides?  Any performance issues? I think I remember mixer made a comment that wasn't favorable? Could be wrong about that. Maybe he was just kidding?

IMG_0664.JPG

Edited by dillsley

27 minutes ago, dillsley said:

I know there was a thread awhile back having to do with ideas on quieting the bike down but I couldn't find it. One of them was a piece of 90 degree radiator hose which I am going to try but I'm wondering what if any are the downsides? I think I remember mixer made a comment that wasn't favorable? Could be wrong about that.

Toogoo baffle half open, 45 degree turbo tube: I did not notice any difference in responsiveness and the noise is reduced significantly. Have been running this for three months now and like it.

The turbo tube is maybe good for a decibel or two. Your recollection is correct: Mr. Mixxer was indeed green with envy over this styling red tube.

Details here including links to the thread: http://bit.ly/2zFwpF3

I will be doing measurements of sound level at some point. On my list.

Edited by RedMesa
  • Haha 1

The sure fire way to make it more quiet with out any loss in power, (in fact it will give it more power as long as you “go down” on your main jet size.)
For more details call Frank at EO (engines only)
www.xr100.com

IMG_0849.JPG

Or for a less expensive alternative, and it will make your bike sound way better with no additional noise than now:

IMG_1923.JPG

Both of the above to be used with a stock Honda muffler that comes on the bike with it was new.

6 minutes ago, RedMesa said:

Well! I guess we know now. Pardon me while I step out barefoot in the middle of the night, screwdriver in hand. I will remove the tube and fling it into the bushes.

I'm not really sure how old Daniel is....

Sometimes I think he's sneaking on the internet when his dad isn't looking...

If it's any consolation...  Your red setup looks faster and more Honda Like than the black setup??

38 minutes ago, RedMesa said:

Well! I guess we know now. Pardon me while I step out barefoot in the middle of the night, screwdriver in hand. I will remove the tube and fling it into the bushes.

Sounds like fun. I guess I could've been more clear. I have no knowledge of the tube's capabilities, and I won't knock it since I haven't tried it. My thumbs down was mainly directed towards my thoughts of it looking kinda goofy. 

29 minutes ago, mixxer said:

I'm not really sure how old Daniel is....

Sometimes I think he's sneaking on the internet when his dad isn't looking...

If it's any consolation...  Your red setup looks faster and more Honda Like than the black setup??

I'm this many ?

Sorry, at 38 I know i'm just a baby and lack knowledge compared to many in here. I'll refrain from leaving my input until the masters say it's ok

Don't pout about it Daniel...

Maybe you just need an emoticon of drums with a sound byte attached to end your posts with....

Like the "ba-dump-bump-tssssh" that comedians use after cheesy one liners like :

"That's what she said"

that would take the edge off...

?

Okay, when I started this topic I'll have to admit that the hose  looks butt ugly. I'm going to use my db app on my phone to try and see if there is much difference. If it's minimal it's coming off. Any guesses? Honestly, I don't mind the noisy but Ranger Rick might.

What is the base dB reading would be key to solving your sound dilemma. The uncorked stock muffler wasn’t loud to me just raspy sounding. Had a Pro Circuit on mine since 09. It’s a little deeper toned with less pop-i-ness. Never thought either way I was annoyingly loud. Of course I do live in Mississippi and the rednecks like’em loud with a yeti beer holder. So they the ones getting in trouble.

I was trying to come up with a way to keep the db level down without the silencer (baffle) and keep within Washington state ORV levels which I have researched and I believe it's 105db. After doing another search here it looks like even with the silencer out it's still under this states levels so I think I'm good. I hope I didn't waste anybody's time on this matter. I do appreciate all the input.

2 hours ago, dillsley said:

I was trying to come up with a way to keep the db level down without the silencer (baffle) and keep within Washington state ORV levels which I have researched and I believe it's 105db. After doing another search here it looks like even with the silencer out it's still under this states levels so I think I'm good. I hope I didn't waste anybody's time on this matter. I do appreciate all the input.

I measured my 230F at 86 dB with the baffle out using the SAE method that the USFS uses: http://bit.ly/2zFwpF3

Hearing damage is cumulative and so is damage to the public opinion of dirt bikes. We are losing the political war, one loud bike at a time. 

I ride so much even at 86 dB I wear 31 dB earplugs.

The Toogoo baffle makes a noticeable sound difference, no noticeable power difference (for me at least), costs $4, and takes 5 minutes to set and install. Details above.

Edited by RedMesa
  • Like 1

A down turned tip is worth 2-3db noise reduction on soft terrain. A CRF250X has an insert very much like the CRF230F and I use a 1 1/2" sink trap to make a down turn tip, and it does work.  You do need to expand the 1 1/2"OD to 1 1/2"ID to fit the insert.

2054484481_250XMuffler.jpg.9a309d7f3fc2a121ca6c3bbb0c0d6d79.jpg

Left over parts:

1070979684_250Xmufllerextension.jpg.2014e07c10352373e1ee4f722c548e20.jpg

Edited by Chuck.
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1