Found Cheap 2 Stroke - avoid or check out?

There is a 99 kx 125 listed for sale by me. The seller has it listed under $1000. He says that it starts and runs, but it needs “lower end bearing and seal”.

I don’t mind wrenching but I’ve never done this before. Is this a big job? Is it fairly simple or pretty involved?

The guy is 4 hours away from me so I’m wondering if it’s worth the drive or if I should let it go. What’s a good price on this?

There is a 99 kx 125 listed for sale by me. The seller has it listed under $1000. He says that it starts and runs, but it needs “lower end bearing and seal”.

I don’t mind wrenching but I’ve never done this before. Is this a big job? Is it fairly simple or pretty involved?

The guy is 4 hours away from me so I’m wondering if it’s worth the drive or if I should let it go. What’s a good price on this?

That’s a long drive for something you have to fix. The whole motor will have to be tore down and there is no telling what else you might find. Me personally I would pass.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bwilliams6 said:

That’s a long drive for something you have to fix. The whole motor will have to be tore down and there is no telling what else you might find. Me personally I would pass.

He's in Nebraska. EVERYTHING is 4+ hours away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Ski_Rush said:

You could easily put probably $500 into a bike like that. Unless the rest of it is immaculate, or its the exact bike your looking for i'd probably pass. I doubt itd be worth more than $2000 in excellent condition.

• Like 1

This one could be a good bike as well. 

You should be careful with bikes that show obvious hard use like this one though. It could be ok yes. It could also be so ragged out it’s next to worthless.

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/broomfield-2004-suzuki-rmz250/6820285040.html

Edited by Bobatsea

13 hours ago, Bobatsea said:

Probly best I have seen in your area in your price range. https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/denver-2000-honda-xr200r-sell-trade/6816095626.html

This seems like a pretty good deal.  I dont believe the 20 hours on it.  Cant be proven, but these bikes are rock solid reliable and it looks pretty clean. Doesnt look faded has original manufacturers stickers on rear fender.  Of course it needs to be inspected up close and ridden, but has good potential.

On the '99 KX125.  You can assume a top end (piston, rings, wrist pin, wrist pin bearing).  If it needs a bottom end, you might be look at a new crankshaft and other associated reciprocating assembly including bearings.  A quick look at the OEM parts schematic for a top and bottom end replacement is in excess of $600 of parts alone without gaskets.  Add in labor because its not a job for amateurs.  And this assumes transmission and clutch are fine and dont need any replacements (not likely).  Also assumes the cylinder and cylinder head are intact and dont need repair or replating (again...probably doubtful). You could easily be over $1000 just to get it back in business. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SilvFx said:

This seems like a pretty good deal.  I dont believe the 20 hours on it.  Cant be proven, but these bikes are rock solid reliable and it looks pretty clean. Doesnt look faded has original manufacturers stickers on rear fender.  Of course it needs to be inspected up close and ridden, but has good potential.

On the '99 KX125.  You can assume a top end (piston, rings, wrist pin, wrist pin bearing).  If it needs a bottom end, you might be look at a new crankshaft and other associated reciprocating assembly including bearings.  A quick look at the OEM parts schematic for a top and bottom end replacement is in excess of $600 of parts alone without gaskets.  Add in labor because its not a job for amateurs.  And this assumes transmission and clutch are fine and dont need any replacements (not likely).  Also assumes the cylinder and cylinder head are intact and dont need repair or replating (again...probably doubtful). You could easily be over $1000 just to get it back in business. 

+1 good advice. I've rebuilt many bikes myself and the $1000 estimate is realistic. 

The $1000 sale price is not realistic. With a  bad motor  its a $400-$500 bike. 

• Like 2

Seems like a bike that I should avoid then. Incidentally, I came across another KX 125 and the owner said it needs some carb work; the seal for the carb is leaking. Other than that, he said the bike is mechanically fine. Replacing a leaking carb gasket doesn't seem like a big deal. This bike is only 2 hours from me...thoughts on this one? 

8 hours ago, Ski_Rush said:

Seems like a bike that I should avoid then. Incidentally, I came across another KX 125 and the owner said it needs some carb work; the seal for the carb is leaking. Other than that, he said the bike is mechanically fine. Replacing a leaking carb gasket doesn't seem like a big deal. This bike is only 2 hours from me...thoughts on this one? 

Again, if 'the fix' is so simple, have the seller do it and you'll pay an extra $20 for a good runner. Do not fall into the '...new engine, just needs a spark plug to run....' trap.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Agree with all of the above, 8 hour round trip to pay above top dollar for a bike that isn't unique, or rare, bad buy.

William has it right, buy a bike that runs, shifts, and stops.  1000 bucks should get you something, if it doesn't keep looking.

Here a running 99-02 (same bike) KX 125 is around 1000-1400 on the high end

we got sidetracked a bit on the KX125.  Dont know where in NE that you are located but if you are in western NE or the panhandle, this one looks very clean for the price.

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/denver-2000-honda-xr200r-sell-trade/6816095626.html

Funny thing about Craigslist is you literally have to put in the search as "XR200 r" to find it.  A search using "XR200" or "XR 200" or "XR 200 R" wont do it.  The reason that I mention that is when you search on CL you need to search both title and body and do just about every possible combination of the model number to make sure you have seen all for sale.  I know that I have taken advantage of what a seller thinks is a low interest or slow moving bike because no one can find the ad on CL.

Here is another one that is quite cheap, doesnt appear to be as clean as the first one, but if this is a running bike as stated, the price is pretty good.

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/littleton-2002-xr-200/6823649222.html

Edited by SilvFx

51 minutes ago, SilvFx said:

we got sidetracked a bit on the KX125.  Dont know where in NE that you are located but if you are in western NE or the panhandle, this one looks very clean for the price.

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/denver-2000-honda-xr200r-sell-trade/6816095626.html

Funny thing about Craigslist is you literally have to put in the search as "XR200 r" to find it.  A search using "XR200" or "XR 200" or "XR 200 R" wont do it.  The reason that I mention that is when you search on CL you need to search both title and body and do just about every possible combination of the model number to make sure you have seen all for sale.  I know that I have taken advantage of what a seller thinks is a low interest or slow moving bike because no one can find the ad on CL.

Here is another one that is quite cheap, doesnt appear to be as clean as the first one, but if this is a running bike as stated, the price is pretty good.

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/littleton-2002-xr-200/6823649222.html

That second link MAY have been a good deal - It's already gone.  But that other XR is SO clean, low hours and a good price.  I'd go for it!

2 hours ago, motoxvet said:

That second link MAY have been a good deal - It's already gone.  But that other XR is SO clean, low hours and a good price.  I'd go for it!

Could be....good deals go quickly on CL.  That one was a 2002 XR200R for $850.  OEM Tank decals were pretty beat up, but looked all original and just could have used some cleaning with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, some WD-40 and a little elbow grease.  Hopefully somebody got a good deal.

I know I have listed and sold some within 12 hours of the original post.  If someone wasnt watching CL daily, they wouldnt even see them come up for sale.  Even if you miss buying them, they help cement the market in my mind when I see a bike come and go within a day or two....that it is likely sold near asking since it went quickly

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 1