VELORACERMIKE

Your Best Garage Hacks

I use newspaper or brown shopping bags torn open as spill catchers. I use cardboard from boxes to use as funnels. Plastic bags from the super market vegetable section to hold used oil filters and as throw away gloves to pick up something yucky.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I have two smal pulleys mounted to the ceiling with a piece of paracord running through them and down the wall to an anchor where I can reach it. The rope is tied to a 220v outlet box that I hung in the center of the shop, I can raise and lower the box with the rope. 

• Like 2

The previous owner of my house was a champion in frugality. One of the garage lights has a Y to screw in 2 bulbs and a pie dish foil reflector. There is an old workbench made from an ancient door that has an old distributor cap screwed on as what I assume is a screwdriver rack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/19/2019 at 2:40 PM, VELORACERMIKE said:

Mine is puppy pee pads. Work great for everything from oiling my chain to changing fluids.  Cheap and work great.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Training-Puppy-Pads-Regular/dp/B00MW8G62E/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_199_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JQFVYNTZ0E3YXJVATAYZ

I use one of these as well.  My "Garage" is also my "Living Room" so I have to be extra careful, lol.  These things work great.

EDIT: I use one of these w/o the grass. (I should have opened your link first):

https://www.amazon.com/Ideas-Life-Potty-Grass-Book/dp/B01GW5OYBC/ref=sr_1_12?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1550846806&sr=1-12&keywords=indoor+dog+potty

Edited by ClintMD

forced air heat, ceiling fan for air moving, and 20 4ft LED bulbs. Computer with internet access, stereo receiver and speakers. Comfortable and useful. Oh, and bucket seats on 10" pneumatic wheels for those waiting while I work. (bottom right)

image.png.9db492dc000c84cd2c46fe1c9272a5be.png

• Like 7
  • Helpful 2

Light, let there be light! Now go buy some high gloss white paint for those cabinets so that light won't be wasted.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I used to hire shop tootsies. Hot girl, jumpsuit, her job was to sweep and having a girl around, the guys did not behave like animals. Once she'd been there a few days, they guys would stop hitting on her as by then, she had met the wives and girlfriends for a lunch. Shop was kept neat, foul language at a minimum and the guys tried to impress. Clean clothes, ect.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

forced air heat, ceiling fan for air moving, and 20 4ft LED bulbs. Computer with internet access, stereo receiver and speakers. Comfortable and useful. Oh, and bucket seats on 10" pneumatic wheels for those waiting while I work. (bottom right)

image.png.9db492dc000c84cd2c46fe1c9272a5be.png

:worthy:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, William1 said:

I used to hire shop tootsies. Hot girl, jumpsuit, her job was to sweep and having a girl around, the guys did not behave like animals. Once she'd been there a few days, they guys would stop hitting on her as by then, she had met the wives and girlfriends for a lunch. Shop was kept neat, foul language at a minimum and the guys tried to impress. Clean clothes, ect.

I tried having one of those as well. Problem is she never wanted to sweep my garage, and then the cops showed up because apparently someone saw me shove her into my van. 

Next time I'll be finding help in the middle of the night. You live, you learn. 

Edited by Horgh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Piney Woods said:

Light, let there be light! Now go buy some high gloss white paint for those cabinets so that light won't be wasted.

Paint is there for walls, I have some bruises seams and cracks to finish on the walls and that is the next step. that and warm enough weather to paint with the door open. lower cabinet was leftover blue from one of the interior rooms so I used it up. Then I need to consider whether or not to epoxy the floor. I've coated a garage floor before and was not impressed with the lack of traction even with silica added. 

@Horgh the correct type of help is the one that works on her own stuff. 

fixing2.jpg.1b0c218f5ec7864b165f5bc1ef118797.jpg673067363_xtrainingthewife.thumb.jpg.c9ed320c674004c86ba224d9d7065f9b.jpg

• Like 8

Oh, forgot to mention my own frugality. My own roller shop stool is an ancient desk chair where the back broke or maybe even rusted off. Also, I made my own preload adjuster for my twin shock XR from scrap oak and 2 long lengths of allthread.

11 minutes ago, VELORACERMIKE said:

@redhurricane How do the LED's stack up against florescence?

MUCH brighter, I went with daylight color temperature and it is good. There is plug and play LED bulb retrofitting using existing ballasts, but you do not reap the benefits of energy reduction that way since you are still using a ballast.  LED fixtures with drivers in them are best (cost more). 

• Like 2

Best garage hack.....Use the neighbors

I bought a used snap on mid rise scissor lift. Works great for lifting cars to do oil changes, brake jobs. I even did my sons transmission on it. But it also works fantastic for lifting motorcycles quads lawnmowers or whatever else you want.

IMG_5073.JPG

• Like 4

When I was buying my house a couple years ago, I walked through and when I discovered the previous owner had converted the garage to a rec room ( didn't notice from driveway because garage door was there and not apparent) I was dismayed.. After some consideration, bought the house because.....I must be one of the only guys to convert a rec room BACK to a garage :thumbsup:.  All I had to do was knock out one wall, and install an interior door.  I even left the 6" raised floor and carpet that was installed on top of the concrete and built a small ramp up to said floor for the car to pull right up onto the carpeted floor. Who cares if my garage carpet gets a little dirty? It's warmer and softer to work on. My garage has white painted insulated walls, 2 nice vinyl windows, heat, and a sky light. Love it. Just wish it was bigger, but the 2 nice sheds on the property help.

Joe

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I needed a rack to dry and store my gear so I grabbed a 2x2 and some 3/4” doweling from Home Depot and made one. $10 in material and maybe 15 mins work to build IMG_1485.jpgIMG_1484.jpg

• Like 4