Cheap modern look for your XR - do not look if you're a hardcore Honda lover!

On 7/31/2019 at 12:59 AM, Yooj said:

What wheels are they, and what work did you need to do to fit them?

Cheers,

Yooj

The wheels are from a KTM Duke 125, and almost no work to fit. (besides custom wheelspacers and 17mm and 15mm wheel bearings) 

I got the wheels for free so for me it was a no brainer ? 

• Like 1

The wheels are from a KTM Duke 125, and almost no work to fit. (besides custom wheelspacers and 17mm and 15mm wheel bearings) 
I got the wheels for free so for me it was a no brainer [emoji6] 
Thanks bud

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, WFO_Pete said:

So would you, in hindsight, still consider this "Cheap modern look for your XR"?

Yes, as it can be build for cheap if you have the tools to do it...

But okay, for me it's cheap (so perhaps for someone else it would be not so cheap...) as I have a lot of MX stuff laying around in my shed which I have collected throughout the years. Please don't forget that the frame, swingarm and engine are still from a XR and I have only added some DRZ plastics & subframe and a Husky fork. I choose to powdercoat the frame, to buy new plastics, a new SS header (which didn't fit on a XR250 but with some mods it will) ,an el cheapo Ebay 32 mm Keihin clone carb (ditched the power jet and jetted it with a 35 PJ and 125 MJ) and new bearings (which can be found cheap online if you know the sizes) but that's about it. The rest of the bike is build with stuff I already had (wheels I got for free).

So in essence you can leave your XR as is, just cut the subframe of the XR, weld some tabs on it, bold a DRZ subframe on the XR frame, find a DRZ tank, use a heatgun to modify the inside of the DRZ tank a bit to fit the XR's central beam and slam a DRZ seat on it. Job done and can be cheaply done ?

Anyway, I guess the bike will be finished this Saturday, later than expected. :(  To busy with work and other stuff... I also burned an intake valve when idling too long to sort out the electrics, which was a bad thing as I've spent lots of hours in porting the head.... Luckily I have 3 XR engines as spare, so another head was arranged pretty quick haha ow... and cheap

Edited by Dutch_bobber

21 hours ago, loganlexow said:

Dude, you just made my day with this gem of a find! I love XR's, and I love frankenbikes lol. I had ktm 300 plastics laying around, so I threw them on my wife's 250. We call it the HTM now lol. Looks great though. 

I also had tried to fit some KTM plastics, but I didn't like how the tank would sit... But do you have some pics?

12 minutes ago, Dutch_bobber said:

Yes, as it can be build for cheap if you have the tools to do it...

But okay, for me it's cheap (so perhaps for someone else it would be not so cheap...) as I have a lot of MX stuff laying around in my shed which I have collected throughout the years. Please don't forget that the frame, swingarm and engine or original XR and I have only added some DRZ plastics & subframe and a Husky fork. I choose to buy new plastics, a new SS header (which didn't fit on a XR250 but with some mods it will) and an el cheapo Ebay 32 mm Keihin clone carb (ditched the power jet and jetted it with a 35 PJ and 125 MJ) and new bearings (which can be found cheap online if you know the sizes) but that's about it. The rest of the bike is build with stuff I already had (wheels I got for free).

So in essence you can leave your XR as is, just cut the subframe of the XR, weld some tabs on it, bold a DRZ subframe on the XR frame, find a DRZ tank, use a heatgun to modify the inside of the DRZ tank a bit to fit the XR's central beam and slam a DRZ seat on it. Job done and can be cheaply done ?

Anyway, I guess the bike will be finished this Saturday, later than expected. :(  To busy with work and other stuff... I also burned an intake valve when idling too long to sort out the electrics, which was a bad thing as I've spent lots of hours in porting the head.... Luckily I have 3 XR engines as spare, so another head was arranged pretty quick haha ow... and cheap

So what's the seat height now???

Just now, Dutch_bobber said:

No, it's not the height with me sitting on the bike, it's free sag

You sitting on the bike is race sag, static/free sag is the seat height under it's own weight and the true seat height is with the suspension extended fully.

So 900mm is the seat height with static/free sag, how much static/free sag is in the suspension with that measurement?

17 hours ago, MentalGuru said:

You sitting on the bike is race sag, static/free sag is the seat height under it's own weight and the true seat height is with the suspension extended fully.

So 900mm is the seat height with static/free sag, how much static/free sag is in the suspension with that measurement?

Well, I didn't measure the seat height from the axle, just from the floor.

I will do the measuring later today! ?