Jump to content

Recommended Posts

:facepalm: dam dude lol you dont have to agree cause ik. If works for you use it then. I was just recommending not to . Oil is better 

Lol you had transmission troubles so you are all knowing everything yz, excuse me for ignorance.

OP many people use atf in all makes and some prefer not to. I was sharing my experience with it which has been trouble free, not a single burnt clutch plate or single transmission issue. You do your own research to see if it will work for you and your bike whatever brand that maybe.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hurricane said:


Lol you had transmission troubles so you are all knowing everything yz, excuse me for ignorance.

OP many people use atf in all makes and some prefer not to. I was sharing my experience with it which has been trouble free, not a single burnt clutch plate or single transmission issue. You do your own research to see if it will work for you and your bike whatever brand that maybe.

And a shit ton of other people 🙂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hurricane said:


Show me a manual that says rotella which is an oil for trucks.

You're stuck in the 70s maybe guy lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kevin Kelley said:

I've heard from a lot of people atf if fine but I also heard to use type f tranny fluid 

Yes, I've used ATF Type "F" for decades in my many YZ's. Shifts better, clutch is less grabby. Just change the fluid a little more often, plus it's cheap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people run different fluids than what is recommended in the manuals. I choose atf you choose gearsaver and rotella. I really don’t care and I don’t know why you are so concerned about my choice. You’re the one with failing transmissions not me so take that for what it’s worth. Lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hurricane said:

Many people run different fluids than what is recommended in the manuals. I choose atf you choose gearsaver and rotella. I really don’t care and I don’t know why you are so concerned about my choice. You’re the one with failing transmissions not me so take that for what it’s worth. Lol

Well i am the twostroke rebuilder in these parts but what do o know 🤔 only done hundreds of engines 😂. But ya whatever works bud👍👍

1 minute ago, GCannon said:

I love a good oil thread!:p

Pass the Popcorn!:thumbsup:

Atf isn't oil tho 🤔

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Well i am the twostroke rebuilder in these parts but what do o know 🤔 only done hundreds of engines 😂. But ya whatever works bud👍👍

Atf isn't oil tho 🤔

You Trolling Me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motox367 said:

😂😂 Not so much anymore but ive been threw a few of them and never with Kawasaki or honda that raced before. I used gearsaver for years now Rotella T4.  Srick around for awhile you'll see plenty of yz250s with tranny issues they are known for it. Use to think i was the only one. I have lots of evidence lol 😂

Yep.... unfortunately I just seen 1 maybe 2 in last few days right here on tt. Ouch

Ohhhh Noooo! You brought up rotella! It's on now:devil:

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Demo_man said:

Any wet clutch motorcycle engine oil.

The same oil you use in Japanese sport bikes or 4 stroke dirt bikes. I usually use the Honda brand 5w/30 that I get a gallon off amazon delivered for $30ish.

Think about it, in a motorcycle the engine oil is also the tranny oil. 

Not sure about ATF, not really wet clutch approved

Not really wet clutch approved? You obviously have never been inside an automotive automatic transmission. I'm only picking on you just to let other newbies know that statement is absolutely straight out of your imagination. A car's automatic transmission is full of wet, multi-plate clutches. They have the equivalent of three, four, maybe some even have more, complete motorcycle clutches inside. 

Back to the OP's question, I wouldn't use ATF. It is very much a compromise, as its main job is to be hydraulic fluid. Its hydraulic fluid properties are of no benefit in a motorcycle trans. Your main concern in an oil is the meshing of the gears. A motorcycle trans oil needs the best hi pressure lubricating additives possible that won't cause the clutch to slip. While ATF does have these additives, I must restate that its main job is pressurizing hydraulic components without overheating, and more importantly, not foaming the least little bit.  Anyone whose bike benefits from using ATF in a bike trans, maybe for better clutch disengagement I'm not sure, would be better off using a lighter gear oil instead.

20 hours ago, Demo_man said:

 

 

20 hours ago, Demo_man said:

 

 

20 hours ago, Demo_man said:

 

 

Edited by treehopper
Something is wrong , the website won't update
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smoking 2's said:

Yep.... unfortunately I just seen 1 maybe 2 in last few days right here on tt. Ouch

Ohhhh Noooo! You brought up rotella! It's on now:devil:

Ya cant count how many guys ive helped in lazt couple years on here with tranny issues.  Probably use atf 😂😂 i better go before get put in tt jail again 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Ya cant count how many guys ive helped in lazt couple years on here with tranny issues.  Probably use atf 😂😂 i better go before get put in tt jail again 😂

😂😂😂😂 Stay outta jail!!!! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, treehopper said:

Not really wet clutch approved? You obviously have never been inside an automotive automatic transmission. I'm only picking on you just to let other newbies know that statement is absolutely straight out of your imagination. A car's automatic transmission is full of wet, multi-plate clutches. They have the equivalent of three, four, maybe some even have more, complete motorcycle clutches inside. 

Back to the OP's question, I wouldn't use ATF. It is very much a compromise, as its main job is to be hydraulic fluid. Its hydraulic fluid properties are of no benefit in a motorcycle trans. Your main concern in an oil is the meshing of the gears. A motorcycle trans oil needs the best hi pressure lubricating additives possible that won't cause the clutch to slip. While ATF does have these additives, I must restate that its main job is pressurizing hydraulic components without overheating, and more importantly, not foaming the least little bit.  Anyone whose bike benefits from using ATF in a bike trans, maybe for better clutch disengagement I'm not sure, would be better off using a lighter gear oil instead.

That summarizes my thoughts as well based on my understanding of Automatic Transmissions.

I agree with Moto376 that the majority of YZ's benefit from better lube.

I don't use ATF but if your putting around you will be fine.

I perfer better lube mostly because I ride Desert and a bike designed for MX needs more help in the lube department for long hard days.

I have seen a lot of 1st gears weld themselves to the output shaft from long hard runs in 5th gear with the 1st gear freewheeling on the shaft (very fast). This is a lubrication failure.  As I stated before I overfill the tranny for endurance reasons that result from riding in the desert.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People get confused because it’s a gearbox. But it is the same as any other motorcycle clutch and gearbox except that it is the lubricant is used to lube the top end. 

Therefore any engine oil approved for motorcycles will work. See your manual, 5w/30 engine oil.

Go use ATF, it’s more expensive than engine oil and you get no benefit. I would think it would be too thick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GCannon said:

That summarizes my thoughts as well based on my understanding of Automatic Transmissions.

I agree with Moto376 that the majority of YZ's benefit from better lube.

I don't use ATF but if your putting around you will be fine.

I perfer better lube mostly because I ride Desert and a bike designed for MX needs more help in the lube department for long hard days.

I have seen a lot of 1st gears weld themselves to the output shaft from long hard runs in 5th gear with the 1st gear freewheeling on the shaft (very fast). This is a lubrication failure.  As I stated before I overfill the tranny for endurance reasons that result from riding in the desert.

Yes lubrication failure causes seized pinion and gearwheels in every brand.  See that more often than bearing failure honestly.  Good idea on adding a bit more oil. Anyone that knows Rotella knows it works very good. Not only in twostroke but fourstroke also. Many many many racers use it including pro ones . Not atf im afraid 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×