XR200R GEARING

i've almost finished restoring my 90 xr200r, all that is left is chain and sprockets.  ive  been riding dirt bikes of all sizes and makes for over 30yrs. never have i had such a small low hp lightweight XR. except when i was 10 and had a XR75.  what gearing do you guys recommend? im about 220lbs and will use this on trails in the pnw. jones creek, capitol forest, and other local trails. im not a real fast paced rider but i can hold my own. thanks guys

For the PNW I recommend 12/49 (13/47 is stock). And use a IRC VE32 or VE33 rear tire because it is a good match to the engine vs traction.  The 49 will fit the rear chain guide and the 12 front will really help bottom end.  Makes 2nd gear much more usable with a near stock engine and the bike will still have a 60mph top speed.

I had a stock 90 XR200R with the above that I rode in CF and that gearing and tire works. The same gearing with an 18" rear tire and modded engine works in the mountains and has 70mph top speed.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to ask, Chad and Chuck, you guys have probably done your share of swapping around sprockets so you'd have good input. 

Which brands have you been happiest with? Certain model names/numbers of sprockets if any? Steel or aluminum? Quality of materials and possible life expectancy of said sprockets? 

Thought I'd pick your brain, I don't wanna just go buying random sprockets when I try out different gearing. 

Any brands to stay away from? 

46 minutes ago, Daniel627 said:

I've been meaning to ask, Chad and Chuck, you guys have probably done your share of swapping around sprockets so you'd have good input. 

Which brands have you been happiest with? Certain model names/numbers of sprockets if any? Steel or aluminum? Quality of materials and possible life expectancy of said sprockets? 

Thought I'd pick your brain, I don't wanna just go buying random sprockets when I try out different gearing. 

I only run PBI.  Not the cheapest, but I really think the quality is better and USA made.

8 minutes ago, chadzu said:

I only run PBI.  Not the cheapest, but I really think the quality is better and USA made.

They're not too bad. A little more than other brands, but if the quality is there, it's worth it. Prices on their website...

$14 for front sprocket any size

$59 for 46-49 tooth. Anything 37-45 tooth the price goes down, anything 50-60 tooth the price goes up. 

Does anyone carry them online any cheaper? Or you order from their website? 

1 hour ago, Daniel627 said:

They're not too bad. A little more than other brands, but if the quality is there, it's worth it. Prices on their website...

$14 for front sprocket any size

$59 for 46-49 tooth. Anything 37-45 tooth the price goes down, anything 50-60 tooth the price goes up. 

Does anyone carry them online any cheaper? Or you order from their website? 

I ususally just ebay them, pretty easy to find what your looking for.

Thanks Chad, at that price I couldn't pass it up. Went ahead and bought it. I need a new chain and sprockets anyways, might as well have all the parts I need and want, at home waiting for me when i'm done with this job ?

Found a 12t front and got it too. Now to decide on what chain I wanna run. 

If only I could find my damn manual for the bike though! 

Edited by Daniel627
Added some stuff

7 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

I always use steel on the counter shaft, and the Honda method of retention.

On rear I prefer aluminum because of weight and with the larger number of teeth they seem to last about the same as the smaller steel counter shaft sprockets.

I also use DID VT2 chains and pressure wash the bike after every ride, and then apply dry film lube to the chain so it will be dry before the next ride. A dry chain doesn't attract dirt so the sprockets last longer.  I get multiple years of life from my chains and sprocket plus seldom need to adjust the chain. Chain life has become so long that I felt tip mark the snail adjusters to avoid chain adjusting after removing the rear wheel. 

Thanks for the response Chuck.

Thanks to Chad, I picked up a PBI 49t aluminum rear for $30, and 12t steel front sprocket for $13. I'd say $44 for both sprockets is a pretty good deal. Leaves money available for trying other gearing combinations in the future ?

Good question bubba. Might be able to stay with the stock 108 link, but I'll await a response from one who actually knows the answer before ordering a chain

25 minutes ago, Daniel627 said:

Thanks for the response Chuck.

Thanks to Chad, I picked up a PBI 49t aluminum rear for $30, and 12t steel front sprocket for $13. I'd say $44 for both sprockets is a pretty good deal. Leaves money available for trying other gearing combinations in the future ?

Good question bubba. Might be able to stay with the stock 108 link, but I'll await a response from one who actually knows the answer before ordering a chain

chuck seems to be the guru of all thats is xr200R, im sure he knows

Lol. Well he sure seems to know his stuff, and as it sounds from past reading, he's been riding and working on dirt bikes longer than I've been alive. And he's had years of experience with the XR200R, so I feel I can trust his advice. 

Hell, I probably never would've gotten my bike running properly if I hadn't found one of his posts from the past. At least not without throwing money and new parts at it. All it took was for me to put the right CDI box in and she fired up and ran with no problem