bubba79

XR200R GEARING

2 hours ago, Insanity Plea said:

I’m not Chuck, but just did this same gear change on mine and used the VX2 108 link. 

You're not Chuck, we need Chuck's opinion! Just kidding. 

How do you like the gearing combination? What's the terrain you ride? Mostly flat, a lot of uphill? 

3 hours ago, Insanity Plea said:

I’m not Chuck, but just did this same gear change on mine and used the VX2 108 link. 

awesome, thank you!

$40 cheaper than the DID vt2.

Picking a chain makes me nervous after what happened to me in '13. I converted my CBR600RR over from 525 to 520 chain and sprockets. I went with Supersprox Stealth sprockets, I bought their chain and sprocket package deal. I chose one of the EK chains that was supposed to be an upgrade to what they initially offer. Only 2000 miles on the chain and it snapped and took out my engine. So now i'm a little scared of picking wrong. Which is why I like to get advice from guys on here that have used different things

11 hours ago, bubba79 said:

hey chuck, how many link chain do i need with the 12/49 setup?

I don't remember because it has been at least 5 years since I bought a new chain for a bike, I've been running the VT2 chains since about 09 and have yet to wear one out although I think my XR may need sprockets this spring.
I buy 120 link chains and cut them to fit, I do keep the end pieces but they are not marked what bike they are from. :banghead:
Also none of my XRs have stock swing arms.

Here is a link to DID chain specs and life expectancy compared to standard chain: http://www.didchain.com/chainSpecs.html

I also recommend using a clip master link rather than the riveted style because you never know when you may need to break the chain. In the PNW fir branches have a habit of getting involved with drive chains. The side plates are a tight fit so I pack a Motion Pro chain tool:
lg_08-0675.jpg

Finding a good price on the VT2 chains can be a challenge but these places have been good for price in the past:

http://www.oemcycle.com/Products/D.I.D_520_VT2_Enduro_Racing_T-Ring_Chain

https://sprocketcenter.com/motorcycle-chains/did-520-vt-2-series-lightweight-narrow-t-ring-sealed-chain.html

I agree on the clip type master.  I always have used that type, mostly because I don't have the specialty tools to install the rivet style.

I have also used the DID vt2 chain with good results.  You will not go wrong with either.

I have a clip type master link on my Busa. It's stayed in place through dyno runs while tuning, numerous passes at the drag strip, many times of topping out the speedo at 185 and continued climbing. Never had a problem with it, so i'm sure it'll be fine on my little XR200R 

I run a D.I.D. 520 VX on my XR and my CRF"290"R. It's slightly wider and slightly heavier (a couple ounces) than the VT. It's also rated as being slightly more durable than the VT. I don't have any clearance issues with either bike. The one on my XR has been on there over a decade but I don't ride the XR very often. My CRF, which I ride regularly, has had it on there for over 175 hrs. and I've adjusted it, slightly, twice. I run steel sprockets on both bikes. The CRF has one of those fancy, spoked out, light weight "ironman's" on the rear. The XR is stock on the rear.

Well now i'm pissed. 

I got on Ebay to check the shipping progress of the sprockets, only to find that at some point since I purchased the rear, my order had been cancelled and money refunded. I wasn't notified by the seller of anything. Wtf?

I messaged them, waiting to hear back. 

• Confused 1

They said that so before it got dogbone listed, and that the sprocket had sold already and Ebay didn't delete the listing. Blah that sucks. They should send me some kinda consolation prize for the hassle :doh:

That sucks.  It has happened a couple of times to me as well. 

I found another one for $40 obo. It's stamped pbi 3156, but design is different than current one. Have they changed over the years? I emailed them but no response. 

Nevermind, someone less concerned already bought it lol

That 6 bolt sprocket fits a bunch of different bikes.  Lots of Yamaha's

The 3156 part number should be good.  I have seen a few different designs in the cut outs.

Would the DID 520vx2 chain have clearance issues on a xr200r?  Is it worth it for the added strength over the DID vt2 or is the added strength negligible?

14 hours ago, wazzabie said:

Would the DID 520vx2 chain have clearance issues on a xr200r?  Is it worth it for the added strength over the DID vt2 or is the added strength negligible?

It fits, no issues. As far as the strength goes, D.I.D gives the actual numbers. It would last a little longer I suspect. I bought the VX because I found it about 10-15 bucks cheaper than the VT and I still wanted to get a premium chain. I've been riding for over 45 years and learned long ago that cheap chains have no where near the durability of premium chains. I always buy premium chains for all my bikes.

I looked around for a chain breaker and didn't see anything I liked.  So I'm going to make a chain breaker like this.

saddlsor_adventure%2520rider%2520photos_