Difference between XR650L and NX650?

Hi! I am currently rebuilding my soon 25 year old Honda NX650 with my father and was interested in upgrading the piston, cam, adding the oil cooler etc. However, I have found plenty of parts for XR650L, but not for NX650. Do you know are the engines identical, or close enough so that I could buy high compression piston and Hotcam stage 1

Side question, what would you buy to upgade your Honda NX650 if you had plenty of money saved for it? I am changing all bearings, brake pads, brake disks, brake cables, wire loom, tires, most  the engine will go to a shop to be tuned etc.

Thanks!IMG_20180603_193942.jpg.f437cca2ae62ef7a4ee75bb77b9a5db5.jpg

Do a jet kit (Dyno Jet makes a good one) and a foam filter..................... the carbs (CV) are the same on the XRL

Other than that you need to set it up for what terrain you want to get in to........................on road to stay on

Some guys in the UK use these bike for adventure riding a lot.

I have already removed the airbox and am planning to get K&N pod filter as I am mostly using NX650 on the road. The carb also is not original. It is Mikuni flat slide carb. Can't remember the model. Jetting is the last part, because I don't know how much would the upgraded piston, cam and changing the filter to pod and tune-up at the shop would change the engine performance. 

From everything I have seen and heard a piston is very good power improvement

the cam depends on how you need it but most say it is less of a "power" punch compared to the HC piston.............

I believe the stock cam is a good one and is better than people give for being "stock" design....... Mr. Honda did well in the XR cam design

Just now, Mukavastinumb said:

89 NX650 and 94 XR650L also have the same cam!

The frame is the same...................

lots are................... one or two years had some trys but all in all they are bros of the same blood....................... internal gears are diff but that's not a bad thng