xrcrf100

XR200 connecting rod

I've got a 2002 XR200 with a bent connecting rod. I have someone that can rebuild the crankshaft if I supply a rod kit but I can't seem to find anything & none of his suppliers offered anything. Are OEM Honda parts my only choice?

1 hour ago, arthur6 said:

Just straighten the rod in a press

Lol, no don't do this.

Pro-X do them. F1 moto in Australia are showing 5 in stock on their e-bay site, but I'm sure you'll find one closer if you try. Otherwise they should be able to ship one to you.

2 hours ago, arthur6 said:

Yeah ok. 

So when it bent, the molecules expanded and compressed in different places. Then when you bend it back to straighten it, those molecules do the same thing just in opposite order. So then once it's straight, IF it gets perfectly straight, it will then be longer by a very minute amount, but when it comes to precision, and money, do you wanna take chances? 

So then what if it's not perfectly straight? Then your piston pin isn't straight, which means your piston isn't straight, and neither are your rings. Then in a short period of time you could be out a cylinder, and another piston and who knows what else. Maybe valves, a head? 

That scenario could be a bit much, but also possible depending on how straight you don't get the rod

10 hours ago, arthur6 said:

Good idea. I'll put it in my 400 ton press & see if I can get it nice & straight.

IMG_20190222_071225.jpg

• Like 1

A small press will work just fine. We've straightened quite a few fork tubes, don't see why a guy couldn't fix a bent rod.

11 minutes ago, arthur6 said:

A small press will work just fine. We've straightened quite a few fork tubes, don't see why a guy couldn't fix a bent rod.

I was being sarcastic, & I was actually using this press as a work bench while working on the motor. Here's what the rod looks like. There's no straightening this one.

IMG_20190222_071336.jpg

17 minutes ago, arthur6 said:

don't see why a guy couldn't fix a bent rod.

They have pills for that now, I saw the commercial recently :lol:

35 minutes ago, Daniel627 said:

They have pills for that now, I saw the commercial recently :lol:

Yeah I saw that commercial too. It was a testosterone booster, kind of like octane booster but for men.

Ebay has plenty of options.  This is one of the most common motors on the planet.  The rod is common to the xr185, xl185, xr200 xr200r, and some other stuff too.  Try a little variation on the search terms and you'll get there. 

While on the topic of XR200's, I've got a 1987 Honda TR200 (FAT CAT).  It's getting kinda tired and I was considering putting a new motor in it.  Does anyone know of any other motors that would drop in?  Maybe a 200cc  3 wheeler motor or a newer XR200 motor?  The motor that's in it now is a 5 speed with centrifugal clutch and electric start.  Thanks

19 hours ago, arthur6 said:

worst advice ever lol

Edited by M3t
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, xrcrf100 said:

I've got a 2002 XR200 with a bent connecting rod

That rod is not even close to being bent😉