XR200 connecting rod

On 2/22/2019 at 12:41 PM, TarzanXR650 said:

While on the topic of XR200's, I've got a 1987 Honda TR200 (FAT CAT).  It's getting kinda tired and I was considering putting a new motor in it.  Does anyone know of any other motors that would drop in?  Maybe a 200cc  3 wheeler motor or a newer XR200 motor?  The motor that's in it now is a 5 speed with centrifugal clutch and electric start.  Thanks

You can stick a Wiseco high compression piston in there along with a WebCam midrange camshaft and a 30mm Mikuni carb and make a surprising amount of power with that motor with a still very friendly powerband and loads of reliability.  Hmm, not sure I'd feel safe on a fast Fat Cat.  That's kind of like supercharging an AMC Pacer.  Wait again, now that last idea sounds like a lot of fun.  

Thanks for the suggestions!!  The bike runs OK and has enough power to get me through most of the bogs in South Louisiana.  Mostly level ground trail riding with the occasional mud hole.  Definitely don't need more top end speed out of it, as you seem to already know, those big tires, once you get them spinning, tend to make the bike want to stand up straight and not lean into a turn.  Higher speeds only make it worse.  It is fun, however, to go through thick mud with it that often leaves bikes with lesser rubber, stuck sunk to the axles.  I can't understand why they quit making them.  I guess they sold well in some regions and poorly in others.  I love mine.     

On 2/23/2019 at 8:45 AM, treehopper said:

After seeing the pic, I have to ask for my own curiosity, how did that happen?

I bought the bike this way but it looks like someone hit something with the bottom of the case & punched a small hole in it.  Oil leaked out, piston seized up & shattered & broke the cylinder & bent/cracked the rod.