inverted fork corrosion

Yeah, the frame is not anodized, the forks are, may have something to do with that. Like I noted, the frame appears untouched in the pic.

ETA, anodizing is a fast oxidation process, the oxide is an insulator. Maybe some sort of galvanic reaction going on...

Edited by RichBaker
  • Like 2

Its called layer or inter granular corrosion and only affects cetain aluminium grades

If the grain structure has been flattened by extrusion then it is more pronounced

Salt causes it

7000 series Al is badly affected by it esp 7075 which is also the strongest grade for forging

My DRZ forks are affected....I painted them to seal the surface and it has stopped it from progressing completly

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Its called layer or inter granular corrosion and only affects cetain aluminium grades
If the grain structure has been flattened by extrusion then it is more pronounced
Salt causes it
7000 series Al is badly affected by it esp 7075 which is also the strongest grade for forging
My DRZ forks are affected....I painted them to seal the surface and it has stopped it from progressing completly

should i scrape it off then paint it or just paint over it?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, unkomikey said:

should i scrape it off then paint it or just paint over it?

You gotta get all traces of salt off, and corroded powdery metal

I washed mined, prep'ed the surface with wire wheel fitted to drill, washed them again twice then painted with hammerite gold paint

• Like 5

I know that if you address this before it happened, no problem.

Remove forks, spray them with high quality matte clear

5 years minimum 

after you have corrosion, the best way is not an option, but...

Probably wash with soap and water and abrasive, then wipe, dry and blow off and then coat with matte clear.

• Like 1

If you want to make them colored again I guess you can take the forks off, than take them apart and have them re anodized or maybe have the Cerakoted in whatever color you want. Or you can also buy upper and lower fork covers and just cover them up. They make carbon fiber ones that look super nice and will be cheaper than having your forks re anodized. My forks are brushed aluminum with no coating on them and they still look brand new.  Here is a link to the carbon upper fork and carbon lower fork covers  

https://www.pro-carbonracing.co.uk/kawasaki/kawasaki-top-upper-fork-protectors-kx125-to-450-all-years

https://www.pro-carbonracing.co.uk/kawasaki/kawasaki-upper-fork-protectors-kx125-to-450-all-years

Edited by Saint728