First bike

I wonder if the dealer or person he bought that bike from knew it was for a 16yr old kid with no experience. Anybody selling that bike in that situation would surely advise senator idiot that's not a bike for a 16yr old with no experience.

Not the dealers responsibility!! That a parent’s responsibility to care for their kids. Stupid to put a 16 yr old on a 900cc bike w/ no experience on that type machine....STUPID!! Kinda like me flying a damn helicopter...I ain’t got any business even trying!!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dfesmire99 said:

Not the dealers responsibility!! That a parent’s responsibility to care for their kids. Stupid to put a 16 yr old on a 900cc bike w/ no experience on that type machine....STUPID!! Kinda like me flying a damn helicopter...I ain’t got any business even trying!!

When it comes down to it, yes you're right. But any reputable dealer would advise against it. Not to say this didn't happen though and the good senator went ahead with the purchase anyways or the dealer never knew to begin with. But even with all that said, the senator is an idiot bad parent none the less.

• Like 1

When it comes down to it, yes you're right. But any reputable dealer would advise against it. Not to say this didn't happen though and the good senator went ahead with the purchase anyways or the dealer never knew to begin with. But even with all that said, the senator is an idiot bad parent none the less.

I’d be willing to bet that that senator was, without a doubt, the smartest person in the room during the bike purchase.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:19 PM, Zinergy said:

AKA the most dangerous gear box design ever. I can't believe how many auto-clutch vehicles they put those transmissions in. 1 click the wrong way and your rear tire locks up instantly. Always nice when you're approaching a jump face.

Here is a bit of trivia . In what year did they standardize motorcycle controls ?  

57 minutes ago, bradluke0 said:

Here is a bit of trivia . In what year did they standardize motorcycle controls ?  

No idea, but they still use transmissions like that in some of the Chinese ATVs etc that have no clutch. A buddy of mine bought one for his daughter and brought it over to a pool party I was having. The atv was only a couple years old. I was riding it and I put it into 4th thinking it was first, at first I thought it was bogging so I was giving it gas and then I clicked up once and it went into 1st..... took off like a stuck pig, my butt slid back off the seat(as it's not a full size ATV and my butt was wet from swimming) and onto the rear fender which was cracked and I sliced open my swim suit and my ass cheek. &%$#@!ing Chinese!

Edited by Zinergy

2 hours ago, bradluke0 said:

In 1974 I almost traded my Austin Healy Sprite for a Triumph 500 . It was right side shift , I couldn't get past it so I didn't do the deal .  

The 1975 Kawasaki KD80 I posted earlier had Neutral all the way down.  Five up.

Left side and a clutch.

Post pic of your first bike. Doesnt have to be actual bike but same model. 
Loved my MR50. Clutch had 3 speed gear box and I have no idea why honda stopped making them.
Screenshot_20190225-104952_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7016bfd4e588036268854503330933dd.jpg

IMG_1999.JPG
It was one of these only mine had a brown mark on the seat. The previous owner named it cauka! It was horrible looking, the suspension was blown and I didn’t even know it. I was such a rookie. It was like a pogo stick with horsepower. But I loved it , and it caused me to fall in love with riding
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Center Punch said:

Cracks me up that these little bikes of yester-year came with lights and odometers.

I was too young to know, but did folks actually put plates on these bikes and tool around town ?

I don't know about other people but I can assure you in 1971 my wife and I did. She had a SL100, and I had a SL125. We put knobbies on them, took off the mirrors and turn signals and road them to our local trails. When we were done we rode them back home(as long as we didn't crash them and have to haul them home which did happen a few times :-).  When the yearly inspection time came around, we would re-install eveything that was needed for state inspection, get the sticker and go home and remove the items again. Things were a bit less stringent back then I believe. We eventually removed the humongous tail light and put on a nice small one on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ljs said:

I don't know about other people but I can assure you in 1971 my wife and I did. She had a SL100, and I had a SL125. We put knobbies on them, took off the mirrors and turn signals and road them to our local trails. When we were done we rode them back home(as long as we didn't crash them and have to haul them home which did happen a few times :-).  When the yearly inspection time came around, we would re-install eveything that was needed for state inspection, get the sticker and go home and remove the items again. Things were a bit less stringent back then I believe. We eventually removed the humongous tail light and put on a nice small one on.

That's pretty cool .

:cheers:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Center Punch said:

Cracks me up that these little bikes of yester-year came with lights and odometers.

I was too young to know, but did folks actually put plates on these bikes and tool around town ?

Over here we certainly did, not just around town either, but you have to remember it's as far between towns here as across some of your cities lol.

Pretty much all trail/enduro/farm bikes were sold with rego's 'till the late 80's. My brothers first bike was a TY80 that He rode everywhere.

L_ty80_197506.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Center Punch said:

quiet a lot of them got road registered even little Honda 50cc with lights and blinkers use to get around town