Zakrad_u

Well I made out good today..

Ive been looking for another bike recently, any 250 smoker was fine but I always prefer Yamaha(have a banshee and yxz). I saw an old buddy listed his bike for sale today cheap, I jumped on it FAST. Really looking forward to bikes again.. It needs a couple simple things such as front wheel bearings , fork seals, and plastics but I can't wait to get ripping again..

05 250 picked up for 1500 with a title..

20190227_175303.jpeg20190227_175251.jpeg

• Like 6

That's awesome man! I picked up my 05 250 for $1200 but it ended up needing a full rebuild top and bottom and cylinder needs replating, so not so much the good deal I had hoped for. 

Anyways, congrats and enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

I spent about 600$ on misc stuff to update it and replace a few bearings/clutch/fork seals.

Does anybody have a tip on cleaning the stuck crud off the aluminum frame? Rubbing hard with a microfiber works but. I'll be here all week. I was scared to try oven cleaner.

Holy smokes those bars have a lot of sweep!

Great deal! congrats!

1 hour ago, Zakrad_u said:

I spent about 600$ on misc stuff to update it and replace a few bearings/clutch/fork seals.

Does anybody have a tip on cleaning the stuck crud off the aluminum frame? Rubbing hard with a microfiber works but. I'll be here all week. I was scared to try oven cleaner.

I've never really used more than a pressure washer and a scotch-brite pad with soapy water. I wouldn't imagine you'd need to use any overly abrasive cleaners. Maybe some wd40 to break loose any heavy gunk, then PW, then a little soapy scrub, and you should be golden.

• Like 1

Holy smokes those bars have a lot of sweep!
Great deal! congrats!
Oh they're bent.. Bad.. Lol
  • Like 1

If I go to say advance auto for trans oil what is a good type to look for. Ive heard Rotella but not sure which, I have gallons of t6 5w40 on my shelf .

Seeing this thread and Berad's yz250 refresh makes me really want to find an old yz and bring it back to life.

I'll be shopping next winter for a deal I think.

• Haha 1

Just wait till i post some pics up here soon , going to look brand new. Shipping is saying tomorrow and Saturday for almost all my parts. Running a comp test shortly but my puny legs can barely kick it so im sure it's solid

I bought some rotella t4 15w40 for the trans, i have klotz super techno i run in my banshee that ill mix with.

For a rear tire i got an IRC VE33 , i can't wait to try it, looks like a bad mofo!

Eagle one etching spray. Has to be “etching” specifically. Clean your surface first with simple green. Then spray this on, use a scotch pad (follow the grain and same direction or will leave streaks). Wash it and it will look brand new!

Nice bike!   The 2005 yz250 were ahead of their time.
I agree, although a 2006 wouldve been sweet but I sure cant complain.

All my parts are coming in today so ill post some pics with her lookin snazzy

Posted (edited)

That black plastic cable tie around the frame on the  left side is in the wrong spot. Its supposed to go through the hole on the upper engine mounting plates by the cylinder head and be tied against that. Where it is now you risk catching the power jet wires and pulling them out easier causing damage to them. Tuck them up under the gas tank better for better protection.

Edited by SmokinJoe

That black plastic cable tie around the frame on the  left side is in the wrong spot. Its supposed to go through the hole on the upper engine mounting plates by the cylinder head and be tied against that. Where it is now you risk catching the power jet wires and pulling them out easier causing damage to them. Tuck them up under the gas tank better for better protection.

Good tip thank you sir

Graphics/grips didnt come yet but everything else did and is on. Tusk clutch, Acerbis plastics, Irc VE33, Pro Taper 7/8 blue bars, Fork seals, Rotella T4 15w40 trans oil, front wheel bearings and rear brake pads.

Having a bike again is awesome.

Also made this stand at work today for changing oil, works great.

20190301_212611.jpeg.b8507c72222e11e6978aa13af35cac3c.jpeg20190301_212628.jpeg.fc2e35d4e39a54f14d835c83d1819fd2.jpeg20190301_212645.thumb.jpeg.2071d53a89851e939bc0f12c0c918846.jpeg20190301_212703.jpeg.509a8bece7852dabcbedc710b4ce1435.jpeg

• Like 4

What are people setting rear shock preload at for a base line? I believe mine is tight.