BETA 125rr & 200rr COMPARED AGAINST TE125???

Im an MX guy and just got a 15 te125 for the sole purpose of seeing if i wanted to get into trail riding and gncc racing at all and well I do! so im going to sell this and immediately buy a new replacement 

I really like the character of this motor, honestly I can't find a flaw with it, it lugs like an old xr200 from when I was a kid and zips with great top end. throttle is buttery smooth in on/off transition and reasonably predictable, I have a hard to doing good wheelies on it because it is is snappier than what im used to with 4 strokes.

Since I can't ride them or any other woods bike to compare motors. how will the 18-19 125rr compare directly against this te125? 

is the beta fly wheel weight/crank mass heavier? lighter? whats the porting and power band like in comparison? how "rideable" and buttery smooth or aggressive is the mapping? for riding 1st gear just off idle technical rocks, logs trials type stuff?

Alright now to compare the 125rr to the 200rr? is the 200 an even amount more everywhere? or a lot more down low, noticeable amount in mid and less top? less top as in it wants to be short shifted more than in comparison to the 125?

I vote 200 RR if you're any heavier than 150 lb. Better power curve and moderately more torque than a 125.

Easily to ride all day and should handle similar to the 125 in actuality.

200 has better low-mid. Smoother power curve.

• Like 4

Sorry can't compare the 125rr to other 125's. The 200rr has the same top end as the 125rr, bottom and mid have a lot more. So much more in the bottom to mid that there's not much hit, really linear.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lom said:

Sorry can't compare the 125rr to other 125's. The 200rr has the same top end as the 125rr, bottom and mid have a lot more. So much more in the bottom to mid that there's not much hit, really linear.

So you've ridden them? are the 19's worth the extra money over the 18's? Is what the other guy said about the 125rr motor that weak compared to the te125?

As a separate thing altogether, how does the 200rr compare motor wise to the 150 xcw?

Edited by GCBC

So you've ridden them? are the 19's worth the extra money over the 18's? Is what the other guy said about the 125rr motor that weak compared to the te125?
I've never ridden another 125 except for the Beta so no clue. The regular small bore riders at the demo seemed to like it except for one guy. All he said was for the money he'd just buy another yz125. I've only ridden the 19's.

All these 125's might differ by way of different bore/stroke and other components.
About 150 vs 200, the 150 (actually 144cc) is like a 125 w/ a bit more hp/torque. The approx 30% upscale from a "150" to 200 gives torque relating to vastely better/easier woods riding for most people.

7 hours ago, GCBC said:

As a separate thing altogether, how does the 200rr compare motor wise to the 150 xcw?

I rode at a demo day all 2019, a yz125 and a 150xcw. The 125 was fun but you needed to keep the RPMs up otherwise couldn’t really push my 195lbs around. 150 was the hardest bike I rode that day but it sure was fast. Light switch power delivery and being so light it was harder to control then a 450. Unless you are racing a class, skip these and go for at least 200 more like 250. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Out of the box the 18' 125rr is a turd, turn the power valve out and raise the needle and that all changes, for 19' they changed the pipe and a couple other small things, but from the dealers I know that rode both years, the 19' 125rr didn't gain much mid over the 18'. I off road raced a yz125 and then switched over to the 125rr racing in 200A, I'd say the yz had a little better mid but the rr had a little better top end, keep it singing and it's a rocket.

Like Weanright said, unless your not buying a 125 to specifically race a 125 class, buy the 200rr, it will be easier to ride for your ability and resale will be considerably better.    

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I would like to race it but im fine racing against any size bike. I just want the best power delivery for me which is tame and flat and smooth in the bottom half say under 5-6k for slippery stuff and above that it screams which they all will.

I just want to "pad" below the curve on this te125, its got a brand new top end and is jetted great and wmf shorty silencer and +1 rear. Its just about perfect but of course would take more. that said will a new 18 te150/150xcw with a fmf full exhaust and +1 gearing make WAY more low end relative? im sorry I can't ride or even seem them in person but im making a huge ass purchase based on some guys on the internet I dont know im sure you understand how that goes so I need to hear some exact words from riders on what im asking to really get a feel if I should go for just the 150 or jump past it to the 190cc 200rr. entire purchase decision is based on motor character as I will be THRILLED with either chassis and parts availability etc are not scary to me even if it should be.

Edited by GCBC

4 minutes ago, GCBC said:

I would like to race it but im fine racing against any size bike. I just want the best power delivery for me which is tame and flat and smooth in the bottom half say under 5-6k for slippery stuff and above that it screams which they all will.

I just want to "pad" below the curve on this te125, its got a brand new top end and is jetted great and wmf shorty silencer and +1 rear. Its just about perfect but of course would take more. that said will a new 18 te150/150xcw with a wmf full exhaust and +1 gearing make WAY more low end relitive? im sorry I can't ride them or know anyone. and im making a huge ass purchase based on some guys on the internet so I need to hear some exhaust works on what im asking to really get a feel if I should go for one and not the other.

Take some time off work if you have to and travel +/- 500 miles to attend a demo day. Don't make a $9,000 mistake. Cheap hotel room, food, and gas would be like $300 - well worth it.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 2

I've been riding a couple of yz125's this past year and just bought a Beta 200rr.  Prior to buying the Beta, I was very interested in the Husky TE150 and did a lot of research on it.  So, what turned me away from the 150 was the 38 inch seat height and riders noting that the engine/tranny had some power gaps if you're not pinning it all the time.  Guys talk a lot about yz125's but yamaha was constantly changing the power curve on them, and nearly every year of the steel framed units are different that way.   I still have my favorite YZ125 and it is a 2001. I'll compare it to the 200rr -  IMO the yz has about the same peak HP at full rev, but much less everywhere else than the 200.  The 200 has a linear power band with perfectly matching gear set.  It has very good power from bottom through top and is very easy to ride, easy trail or flat out. (I've got about 4 hours of tight trail riding on the 200)  It has the dual map switch, one for more low end, one for faster rev-out.  I've not fiddled with the power valve adjustment yet. The seat height is well over an inch shorter than the TE150.   The TE150 has a kickstart, the 200 does not, but can be retrofitted with one.  Chassis is great too on the 200, but the seat is rock hard but it's not much over 36" once the suspension settles.  I can just about flat foot it a 5'10",  which is a huge advantage in the tight stuff.  The 200 uses a Keihin 36mm carb which helps engine versatility, the TE150 uses a 38mm carb which is more in line with upper rpm performance.  (on my 01 yz I installed a Keihin 36 replacing the stock Mikuni 38 and it made a huge difference for tight woods riding).  The 200 weight specs are higher, but if you pull the oil injection and go to a lithium battery, the weight drops about 7 lbs.  It's very light, light enough so it feels just like my yz125.  I think your inseam and the kind of riding you do might be the keys to your decision, do you want the versatility of more low to mid for tight technical trails, or do you ride open trails mostly...?

Edited by kawagumby
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

37 minutes ago, kawagumby said:

I've been riding a couple of yz125's this past year and just bought a Beta 200rr.  Prior to buying the Beta, I was very interested in the Husky TE150 and did a lot of research on it.  So, what turned me away from the 150 was the 38 inch seat height and riders noting that the engine/tranny had some power gaps if you're not pinning it all the time.  Guys talk a lot about yz125's but yamaha was constantly changing the power curve on them, and nearly every year of the steel framed units are different that way.   I still have my favorite YZ125 and it is a 2001. I'll compare it to the 200rr -  IMO the yz has about the same peak HP at full rev, but much less everywhere else than the 200.  The 200 has a linear power band with perfectly matching gear set.  It has very good power from bottom through top and is very easy to ride, easy trail or flat out. (I've got about 4 hours of tight trail riding on the 200)  It has the dual map switch, one for more low end, one for faster rev-out.  I've not fiddled with the power valve adjustment yet. The seat height is well over an inch shorter than the TE150.   The TE150 has a kickstart, the 200 does not, but can be retrofitted with one.  Chassis is great too on the 200, but the seat is rock hard but it's not much over 36" once the suspension settles.  I can just about flat foot it a 5'10",  which is a huge advantage in the tight stuff.  The 200 uses a Keihen 36mm carb which helps engine versatility, the TE150 uses a 38mm carb which is more in line with upper rpm performance.  (on my 01 yz I installed a Keihen 36 replacing the stock Mikuni 38 and it made a huge difference for tight woods riding.  The 200 weight specs are higher, but if you pull the oil injection and go to a lithium battery, the weight drops about 7 lbs.  It's very light, light enough so it feels just like my yz125.  I think your inseam and the kind of riding you do might be the keys to your decision, do you want the versatility of more low to mid for tight technical trails, or do you ride open trails mostly...?

awesome feedback. can you answer one more Q? I cannot find any dyno charts of this 200 or the 125 whats its total useable rpm ceiling? how much less total rpm does it have than the 150's? is it a 12krpm? 11k? 10k? 

I raced an '18 125RR back to back with my TM144 a couple times last year, and if you're willing to keep it pinned the 125 does just fine. The 144 has more power everywhere, and of a similar character, but you've go to work to get the most out of either of them.

The 200 is a much more pleasant powertrain than either of these. Strong off the bottom (initial throttle opening), then lively through the mid into a decent top. It's stronger than the 125 and 144 (as it should be), and will be much more accessible. The torque feel mimics a 250, with obviously a lower level. You will absolutely scoot in the woods on one of these.

• Like 7

I am going nuts deciding. I actually made a deal and deposit then dealer called me back 10min later and said oops, that was actually a demo model not a brand new 125rr like we thought... so cancel that. now maybe go with the 200rr? or go 150? gahhhhhhh

4 minutes ago, GCBC said:

I am going nuts deciding. I actually made a deal and deposit then dealer called me back 10min later and said oops, that was actually a demo model not a brand new 125rr like we thought... so cancel that. now maybe go with the 200rr? or go 150? gahhhhhhh

If low hours and low price then why not a demo 125rr? It’s not a ticking time bomb like a mx 250F.

• Like 1

Just now, shrubitup said:

If low hours and low price then why not a demo 125rr? It’s not a ticking time bomb like a mx 250F.

To me it’s like buying a Ferrari that was a rental car it’s whole life. Might only have 5k on it and run and look fine but I have the money and want to be her one and only!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GCBC said:

I forget if you're closer to 200 lbs or 140lbs. I'd still lean towards the 200RR. It can do GNCC and low speed single track with minimal changes like adjusting forks. I feel the full-sized 150 is like a 125 with a tad more torque but similar HP below 6K rpm. The 200RR is only 7-10 lbs heavier than a 125 anyways. I figure the handling of a 200 will be good enough to welcome the extra torque compared to the smaller 2strokes. If not riding totally on the pipe a lot like a 125 during a race, a 200 will likely last longer before needing rings/piston. ? The 200 should be easier to ride for 6+ hours in 1 day.

I agree about skipping the demo bike, unless for a great price. I'm not sure what prices a like where you are. It's worth it to get a bike that's nice and fresh.

Edited by TheSlayer
  • Like 1