wickedmotoclown

colorado Moving to Colorado - Have a Few Questions

Hey Everyone,

I'm moving to Loveland Colorado in the next 2 weeks. I'm staying with a friend but unfortunately he doesn't have room for me to store my van/bikes. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good storage place that has high ceilings so I could park my van in there? I have a high roof Ford Transit and it sits about 9'4" tall or so. Also looking for some suggestions as to some motocross tracks and great trails to ride. I've ridden at IMI Motorsports and Berthoud (though that looks to be closed down now) before, and I'm anxious to check out Lakewood for sure. Any other suggestions for good tracks? I'm really looking forward to checking out the trails out there as well. I've been on some awesome trails in Montana and I know Colorado has a ton to offer. Any suggestions are helpful! Thanks in advance.

Justin

• Like 1

I'll throw in my obligatory pitch for Northern Colorado Trail Riders.  I have been riding with them for about 6 years and my brother has since the early 2000s.  There is a good amount of long time older riders, but we really do need a good infusion of newer members, especially people looking to lead rides.  You don't have to ride with us all of the time, but I would encourage participation at least some as we do work rides every weekend in June to clear trail up in the NoCo area.  It's a good way to get involved and "do your part" to help keep our trail systems viable.  We clear Snyder Creek trail system (also known as Willow Creek or the Place with No Name), Grizly Helena, Donner Pass, and Kilpecker/Swamp Creek.  I am leading a ride the last weekend in March out on the Western Slope just past Grand Junction at Rabbit Valley.  It may change to a Utah ride around Green River, but for now it's Rabbit Valley.

Our next club meeting will be at 6pm at Elite Motorsports in Loveland.  Feel free to come by.

Thanks for the info - sounds like a great club! I'm definitely interested in helping out - I'll be sure to swing by the next meeting as soon as I get out there!

2 hours ago, wickedmotoclown said:

Thanks for the info - sounds like a great club! I'm definitely interested in helping out - I'll be sure to swing by the next meeting as soon as I get out there!

Ha, sorry about the unclear meeting date.  I had the time, but not the date.  We meet 2nd Tuesday of every month at 6pm at the KTM dealer, Elite Motorsports.  As far as places to store the Van & bikes, you might have luck messaging the group after you attend a meeting.  Some of the members might be willing to help in a temporary situation.  If I had the land I’d be happy to help out, but unfortunately I do not.  Other than that, you could just start checking RV/boat storage places and see if anyone has any space.  Space is difficult to come by in these parts.

6 hours ago, wickedmotoclown said:

I'm really looking forward to checking out the trails out there as well. .

You'll learn all the trails from the NCTR guys, but if ya wanna start poking around now and start salivating, google Taylor Park. Its not the same as it was even a handful of years ago with the influx of rzrs but once you're on the singletrack, you won't see em again till you're heading back to camp. Or you can stay in a cabin if you'd prefer.

If you're interested in a few vids of the area, there is a Taylor Park playlist on my channel (see link in my sig), and I have numerous other playlists where you can see what the various trails are like in this region.

Heres one to get you started...it gets ya up pretty high to a nice meadow which is a great place for lunch.

Edited by dmac1

Nothing to see here and no riding. Please move along.............

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, G 9.5 said:

Nothing to see here and no riding. Please move along.............

Yeah, you guys up that way are over run with the influx of people.  But, we have nothing to offer down here either. ;)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, automagp68 said:

seconded 

NO VACANCY

Thirded!

For a few years, it was 100k new 'immigrants' per year. ALOT were just so they could smoke pot.  Some all the way from Florida just so they could legally get high. Don't even bother trying to go camping along the front range on a weekend...not unless you can get there mid-week to have someone get a spot. And if you've got that much time, why stay that close cuz it'll be jam packed on the weekend with inconsiderate types makin tons of noise and drunken/stoned yahoos going out for midnight rides.  Oh...and the squatters that camp in the forests cuz they can't afford to rent a place....they are a big contribution toward the lack of campsites. And they make a huge mess.

Colorado used to be nice...now its overcrowded, overpriced, catering to freeloaders with sanctuary cities,, soon to have Cali type pollution rules (thanks govna...NOT) and crime is going through the roof. The portion of the city closest to me is Parker. The police there don't even have time for speeders and red light runners. They are too busy with more serious stuff. It used to be a nice quiet corner of town....no more.

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 3

Im not trying to be an ass to the OP but this is the problem with colorado right now

"im moving here" , " I have no place to stay", You most likely have no employment and now looking for someone to store your stuff. 

Please tell us as a future colorado resident how will you contribute to our state and our infrastructure. There are more out of state plates on our roads then there are colorado ones. People move here and cant even be bother to pay the fregin road taxes to get CO plates and drive around illegally (after 90 days) on out of state plates. Meanwhile my taxes keep going up and my family has to fight to even enjoy our mountains anymore because of all the imports. NO MORE! WE ARE FULL UP!

Starter homes are $500k or more and traffic is worse then LA

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, automagp68 said:

Im not trying to be an ass to the OP but this is the problem with colorado right now

"im moving here" , " I have no place to stay", You most likely have no employment and now looking for someone to store your stuff. 

Please tell us as a future colorado resident how will you contribute to our state and our infrastructure. There are more out of state plates on our roads then there are colorado ones. People move here and cant even be bother to pay the fregin road taxes to get CO plates and drive around illegally (after 90 days) on out of state plates. Meanwhile my taxes keep going up and my family has to fight to even enjoy our mountains anymore because of all the imports. NO MORE! WE ARE FULL UP!

Starter homes are $500k or more and traffic is worse then LA

Try driving or riding the passes in summer.  Engineer, Imogene, Cinnamon, etc., they are traffic jams of SxSs and rented Jeeps, 95% of them being operated by Texans it seems.  Go to Durango during the summer or the Christmas season and it is all out of state plates, almost all Texas.  And the dirty homeless pot smokers have over run the town, there are huge homeless camps.  Even down here in the SW corner it is bad, it used to be we could go places in the mountains and hardly see anyone else all day, not anymore.  And like dmac alluded to, the politics of a once conservative state have gone way, way the other direction.  I don't live in CO, I actually live a few miles south of the border, but SW CO has always been a part of the 4 corners playground.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Go to Durango during the summer or the Christmas season and it is all out of state plates, almost all Texas.  And the dirty homeless pot smokers have over run the town, there are huge homeless camps.  Even down here in the SW corner it is bad, it used to be we could go places in the mountains and hardly see anyone else all day, not anymore.  And like dmac alluded to, the politics of a once conservative state have gone way, way the other direction.  I don't live in CO, I actually live a few miles south of the border, but SW CO has always been a part of the 4 corners playground.

I work with a bunch of people that drive down here everyday from Durango & Pagosa to work...they all complain about what a “crappy town this is” and “unless all you want is a hamburger you can’t eat”... Yet they come here to get a decent paying professional job... I brought that up the other day during a morning bitchfest they were having... talk about hurt feelings😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TeamGreenPilot said:

I work with a bunch of people that drive down here everyday from Durango & Pagosa to work...they all complain about what a “crappy town this is” and “unless all you want is a hamburger you can’t eat”... Yet they come here to get a decent paying professional job... I brought that up the other day during a morning bitchfest they were having... talk about hurt feelings😏

We do have more burger places per capita than any other place on the planet, lol.

But, at least a person can afford to live here without their entire paycheck going to their mortgage. ;)

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

@wickedmotoclown Just put your big boy pants on and skim right past these comments. YES, Colorado is a great place to live. YES, it is becoming more crowded every year. YES, the cost of living is increasing to levels normally seen in large metropolitan areas like LA, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. YES, the "Natives" are bitter. 

Come in and join a riding group/club. Help clear trails. Buy your annual $25.25 OHV tags. Once you have been here a year or so, you can apply for your official Colorado Resident card, learn the secret handshake, and be accepted into the fold like everyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, redhurricane said:

@wickedmotoclown Just put your big boy pants on and skim right past these comments. YES, Colorado is a great place to live. YES, it is becoming more crowded every year. YES, the cost of living is increasing to levels normally seen in large metropolitan areas like LA, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. YES, the "Natives" are bitter. 

Come in and join a riding group/club. Help clear trails. Buy your annual $25.25 OHV tags. Once you have been here a year or so, you can apply for your official Colorado Resident card, learn the secret handshake, and be accepted into the fold like everyone else. 

I agree.  I came here 6 years ago from Austin, TX.  Just make sure you get plugged in and are part of the solution.  Get involved to help preserve our trails and do your part to ensure that you, the people you ride with, and the people you encounter along the way, ride with respect. Be an ambassador for the sport and you'll be welcomed.    

Edited by dhdrider
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, redhurricane said:

Come in and join a riding group/club. Help clear trails. Buy your annual $25.25 OHV tags.

The above is fine, but I would add get a job and get involved in helping keep our trails open, not just clearing trails (which is obviously fine). The cost of our OHV permit is a pittance toward what is needed to fight the environmentalists who are actively trying to lock us out of our public lands. This forum has lots of info about what is transpiring, so if someone wants to be active for our sport, the info is readily available.

People coming here to freeload and mainly so they can smoke dope can stay where they are.  I stand 100% by my previous comments.

I would also add that Colorado used to be great, but its not so great any more....due to all the previously provided responses about how things are now.

But then again, where isn't there overcrowding and increasing cost of living etc?  Its just that, lately, Colorado has been on the forefront of that growth nationwide, so yeah, those of us who know how it was in the good ol days (60s, 70s, even thru the 90s) don't like how it is now.

• Helpful 1

Thank you to everyone who posted some helpful suggestions. I'm looking forward to checking out all the great aspects of riding in Colorado. I'm not afraid of jumping in and helping out, I help run a local club/practice track in Georgia so I have some idea of how much work it takes to keep a track/trails open and enjoyable for all.

For those of you with less than helpful suggestions - news flash for you - every place is getting crowded! The economy is booming, and in case you haven't noticed there are more people in the world than ever before. Colorado has definitely seen a huge influx of people, I can even see that being an out-of-towner that visits the state a couple times a year. I don't necessarily like it either, but unfortunately it's part of life, so maybe get out and go ride your dirt bike and blow off some steam instead of sounding like such a curmudgeon on some internet forums.

• Like 2

Soooo....chill out Dmac some may say (I'm not aiming that at anyone in this thread) everyone's welcome here. Or quit exaggerating, surely its not as bad as you make it sound. Or whatever adjective someone wants to attach to my dismay and anger at how things are.  Well, here is PRIME evidence of the type of scum that we have among us.  This is the SECOND massive inferno at Rampart in the last couple weeks, with similar debris fields left behind.

From FB:

Rampart Range Motorized Management Committee (RRMMC) is at Pike National Forest. 

What's worse than a nail in a tire? A nail in a horse's foot. The Pike National Forest Rangers are asking for leads about the villains that left this dangerous and irresponsible garbage behind after they spent the morning finishing the clean up from a bunch of burned pallet remains, including all of the nails, at the Indian Creek Equestrian Trailhead.

If you have leads, please feel free to leave a comment here or call the South Platte Ranger Station at 303-275-5610. Please always pack out your trash and recreate responsibly.  U.S. Forest Service - PSICC National Forest

2088708709_Rampartnails.jpg.11a7bda72b151190e2f50976a9c090d6.jpg

2074855194_Rampartcharreddebris.jpg.345bee8e9ab018ecc116e6651bd25bf0.jpg

I've been to that trailhead a few times. Its a nice spot and leads to some beautiful, non-motorized (used to be open) trails. And, those of us who have been in our forests with any regularity have seen PLENTY of similar scenes, often littered with trash, bottles, etc. and I've even seen a car hood left at a totally trashed field with a mud hole. The more people we have here, the more crap like this we see!

I'm for sure not saying the OP will do this, in fact, it sounds like he will be a good addition, but too many people these days don't give a damn about the consequences of their actions. This specific instance impacts public lands and the more that this takes place, the more likely places are going to get closed...or worse.

Rant over!. 

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 3