My kickstart on my Yamaha ttr 125 has no resistance and won't grab, it bump starts fine and rides great.  Here is a video of my kicking it over, I'm doing it slowly because I don't want to do it fast and cut myself on the peg again when it wont grab 

Edited by Bob Robles

I just bought the bike, it grabbed when I bought it (it's used 2006) then it would not grab, I took it out to the desert and bump started it then when it was warm it grabbed, then grabbed a few days after now ot doesn't grab again ?

I would suggest you take out the crank case cover and take a closer look to be sure what is happening. Some kickstarters have a spring behind the ratcheting system and if there is an issue with that spring, Can see an issue similar to what you have occurring. but you would also not have the kickstarter return. It might be that the ratcheting gear is not fully engaging to rotate the kickstarter gear. If the previous owner messed with the timing for those gears that may be the issue. 

Yes, You will have to drain the oil. I also recommend looking into a new gasket as well if you go through with the job. If the timing is off, there are usually dimples or marks on the ratcheting gears that must be aligned for it to function properly. I can't find a video for your bike. But here is a video for timing i found. It would be easier with a repair manual.

and here is a video on how the mechanism works, this same design isn't universal, but it's the same idea. The set of gears that engage and disengage when he moves the kickstart shaft is the ratcheting gears.

A gear is not lining up well then. I would avoid using the kickstarter for the risk of permanently damaging the teeth of the gear. You also may need to go richer on the jetting if you are installing a full system. This guy will show you how to, and i believe it is similar to the way your bike is.

Does the oil need to be drained completely or can it lay on it's left side like working on the clutch?  My kick start does not seemed to be timed right after last time I got into the case.  It only engages about the last half of the kick stroke.  Which is different than when I first got it, and it actually kick started easy.  IDK what changed or what I knocked off kilter

11 hours ago, Monica said:

Does the oil need to be drained completely or can it lay on it's left side like working on the clutch?  My kick start does not seemed to be timed right after last time I got into the case.  It only engages about the last half of the kick stroke.  Which is different than when I first got it, and it actually kick started easy.  IDK what changed or what I knocked off kilter

That is most likely the ratcheting gears being out of time.

• Helpful 1

On 3/9/2019 at 7:29 PM, Bob Robles said:

Duke I have oil leaking out of where my shifter lever comes out, I think its the shift shaft oil seal, do you have a video for me on how to change that for my bike?

If you can post, you can google.  I found one first shot.  I'd post it but you gotta learn to fish.  From that video, looks easy enough.  Mine is leaking too so I'll get it done one evening after work.  Also grab a manual so you can reference at random.  It's good to have on hand.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...