2019 Beta 125 RR-S Dual Sport - First Look

2 minutes ago, ferraiolo1 said:

I looked at the 200cc kits. There are some euro forums and guys had issues with them. The cylinder walls are too thin and they like to blow base and head gaskets.

Those were my thoughts.  You can see how thin the cylinder skirt is in the picture.  Did you get your 183 kit from these folks?

1986 KDX200 was 24 Hp in Dirt Rider on the Kerker dyno.
That's pretty good. I was thinking of a kdx175 actually, which might've been close to 20hp.
Small 4strokes definitely aren't usually putting out high hp stock. Honda Grom is 9-10 hp, so the 125RR-S looks great in comparison.
Yeah, the 125RR-S w/big bore kit is probably more comparable to an XR200R (something like 12hp?).
Apparently a stock 125RR-S is 15hp, so big bore 183 would be even more. That's the thing about advancements.
Someone said $600-800 for a certain bb kit. That's not too bad to me, since Beta has yet to show us a 200-250 rr-s.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:10 PM, jussenuf said:

Not that I recall. Honda, Yamaha 125's, maybe but no, Hodaka then, no, Not really anything from Europe.  nothing from europe? the early KTMs were called Pentons and they were 125s. then after a while they were also 175s, then after a while 250s.  The Japanese made lots of small machines, none brought to the US in the last 20 years or so, hence the origin for the Beta 4 valve motor. Not many of us want this small displacement dual-sport. Some choices from Yamaha and Honda for 200 cc plus size machines, and they all weigh a lot more if they have a license plate from the showroom. Next step up is another $4000 and you get a lot more machine. But some of us do not need more suspension and HP. I never looked back and wished for a Yamaha XT 250, or one of the other 250 class dual-sport out there.

Art

1 minute ago, Old Plonker said:

@Weezer the Geezer, @jussenuf, @Gflo, and @ferraiolo1: almost all the reviews of the 125RR-S in late 2016 harped on the front brake being slow to engage (long stroke before any bite) and weak in stopping unless pulled with Popeye grip. Has this been your experience? If so, is there a simple fix?

The engagement point is adjustable like most front brakes.  It is weaker than my KTMs, which are known for strong brakes, but not objectionably so.  It’s not weak to the point that I am looking for a solution.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gflo said:

The engagement point is adjustable like most front brakes.  It is weaker than my KTMs, which are known for strong brakes, but not objectionably so.  It’s not weak to the point that I am looking for a solution.

Thanks. I never would have gotten that the engagement point was adjustable from the reviews. Jimmy Lewis really liked the bike and put a lot of miles on it. He said that the brakes got stronger the longer he rode it.

What year is yours? They may have changed pad composition.

Also, several testers remarked that the rear spring was set up for 140lb riders while the front was set up for 160lbs. Was this your experience?

44 minutes ago, Old Plonker said:

Thanks. I never would have gotten that the engagement point was adjustable from the reviews. Jimmy Lewis really liked the bike and put a lot of miles on it. He said that the brakes got stronger the longer he rode it.

What year is yours? They may have changed pad composition.

Also, several testers remarked that the rear spring was set up for 140lb riders while the front was set up for 160lbs. Was this your experience?

I never rode it off road, just on the streets to break it in, so I can’t comment on the suspension.  It’s my daughter’s bike.  It’s a 2017 model purchased in Oct. ‘17.  My daughter is 5-1, 105#.  When I installed the lowering kit, I put in the lighter front spring.  I thought I was going yo have to put the lighter rear spring also, but just backed off the preload.  With it backed all the way off, she was bottoming the rear slightly, leaving rubber marks under the fender.  I added preload until it didn’t bottom under normal riding.  I think the rear spring is okay now.  Stock, the front is definitely stiffer than the rear.  The front only uses one spring, and I had to get a shorter spring for the lowering kit.  Beta is pretty proud of their springs at $179 a pop.  That’s stupid expensive, especially for one fork spring.

On another note, the ‘17 model was listed as having a Mikuni 26mm carb.  So I bought Mikuni jets when I went to jet it a little richer.  Got into it and found I had a Keihin 30mm carb.  An email to Beta revealed a mid year carb change.  The newer ones list the Keihin 30mm carb.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2019 at 10:27 AM, ferraiolo1 said:

my one complaint about it is the crappy chain, you can’t get an oring chain in that size and the rear sprocket is proprietary beta. The front sprockets you can get from the uk.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/did-428-vx-x-ring-chain-p

The chains listed here are shorter, but one should be able to get longer sets with a little digging - if not, you can always run two master links.

Edited by kawagumby
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Plonker said:

@Weezer the Geezer, @jussenuf, @Gflo, and @ferraiolo1: almost all the reviews of the 125RR-S in late 2016 harped on the front brake being slow to engage (long stroke before any bite) and weak in stopping unless pulled with Popeye grip. Has this been your experience? If so, is there a simple fix?

Like Gflo said, the brake isn't as strong as my Honda was, but I haven't considered it a problem.  I considered my Honda a little too strong.  It almost got me into trouble a couple of times in loose dirt.

I weigh 140#, and find the rear spring a little too stiff.  But at about $170 I don't plan on changing it.  

4 hours ago, Gflo said:

That’s a nice chain.  The problem I have found is they don’t come long enough.  This bike takes 140 links with stock gearing.  Would like to find an o/x-ring chain that was long enough.

Sprocketcenter, has the DiD VX2 in a 140 length for $103 and Dennis Kirk sells the JT Xring chain in a 142 length. I have never used JT chain for less $.

Art

One problem I discovered is the gas tank literally sitting on top of the radiator hose.  It made an intention in the hose, and the heat creates pressure inside the tank after you kill the engine.  This is the 1st 125 the dealer has sold, and he is contacting the company to see if they have a remedy.  

35 minutes ago, jussenuf said:

Sprocketcenter, has the DiD VX2 in a 140 length for $103 and Dennis Kirk sells the JT Xring chain in a 142 length. I have never used JT chain for less $.

Art

Thanks for the leads.

Update on 125 with big bore kit.

It got a real test yesterday.  Went to a place in northern Oklahoma with a great variety of terrain.  Hardpack, sand, rock strewn hills, rock ledges, mud, etc.  It performed flawlessly and with the slow speed torque I hardly missed the recluse.  It kept pulling down to a crawl.  It's long wheel base makes it very stable riding across loose rocks and sand.  HA!  The draw back is not turning real short.  Had to back up on couple of tight turns.  It is a great bike for all around woods riding.  My friends were riding a Beta 300, and KTM 300, and were surprised at the power it had.  I decided it is a keeper!

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 4

I might add that the suspension is also great.  The rebound worked really well for hitting an outcrop of rock at the top of a steep hill climb.  The ride is smooth and I never bottomed out.  I think i mentioned this before, but at my 140 lbs the rear spring is a little bit strong, but liveable.  Especially since Beta wants $178 For a new one.  I have the tension backed out all the way.  

With the lowering kit I did hit high center a couple of times, but, HA, that's the price you pay for being a short person!

On 3/18/2019 at 12:15 PM, Weezer the Geezer said:

Update on 125 with big bore kit.

t's long wheel base makes it very stable riding across loose rocks and sand.  HA!  The draw back is not turning real short.  Had to back up on couple of tight turns.

The wheelbase is actually 2 1/2" - 3" shorter than a full size bike and shorter than your Honda