Bryan Bosch

2019 Beta 125 RR-S Dual Sport - First Look

Yup, they just got back to me. No dice, but they're optimistic that it will be coming to Canada

She should trade her Honda in for a KLX250s

But that's a discussion for another day 😛

• Like 1

The big bore kit really wakes up this bike.  I got a 2018 in January and had the bore kit and lowering kit installed.  Also put a lower profile tire on the rear to reduce the height another 1/2".  And installed the lower seat myself.  With a  29" inseam, I can now put both feet on the ground.  

I am a trail rider and have been riding dirt bikes since 1971. I can tell you this bike handles really well, and has gobbs of low end torque.  The only downside is that with the lowering I lost almost 3" of ground clearance.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I saw where Dirt magazine named the Beta 430 rr-s,   dual sport bike of the year.  They are master's at building bikes that handle well.

I might add that if you don't mind voiding the warranty, you can get the big bore kit for the 125 at about 1/3rd the cost of going through the dealer.  I went through the dealer because they were offering an incentive on new Betas that covered most of the cost.

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 3

On 3/7/2019 at 3:30 PM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Kawasaki F6, Suzuki TS, Honda XL125 to name a few. ;)

Heck, in the '70s, almost every manufacturer made 125 "Enduros", variations of 125s (Suzuki TS and TC), Hodaka 125 Wombat, KTM 125 GS, Can Am TNT 125.... and..... for several years, the Yamaha DT-125 had the magic button start!

125 class never really went away, its popularity as a street legal bike faded in the late 70s - in the USA at least - as focus was placed on 125 MX class bikes. 125 and 150cc bikes are still well represented worldwide. It's good to see Beta bringing back a serious contender. Despite decades of experience, it's probably more capable than I am. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mike21b said:

Heck, in the '70s, almost every manufacturer made 125 "Enduros", variations of 125s (Suzuki TS and TC), Hodaka 125 Wombat, KTM 125 

My first new "dirt" bike was a 1971 Suzuki 125 "Duster".  I hope my Beta is as reliable and lasts as long as it did.  Before that i was riding the bike in my icon as a dirt bike.  A 1965 Honda 90.

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you feel the need for more engine and suspension that the 125 RR-S comes with you're probably better off with a used plated dual-sport from Beta or KTM in the bigger displacement, and the dollar invested may be the same. 

Art

Edited by jussenuf

The suspension is great.  Even with the lowering, I have  done some big jumps without it bottoming out.  The problem for us short people is that with most of the bigger bikes is seat height.  I wish manufacturers would realize not eveyone is over 6' tall.

If you feel the need for more engine and suspension that the 125 RR-S comes with you're probably better off with a used plated dual-sport from Beta or KTM in the bigger displacement, and the dollar invested may be the same. 
Art
That 125 is good for lightweight and/or beginner riders. Plus, $5k list price is pretty good considering the price of all other bikes. The 125 2T is an extra $1k+ and a poor beginner bike of course.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:23 PM, TheSlayer said:

63T rear sprocket - Is that a typo? WTF.

Yes, it is 63 teeth.  With the 6 speed transmission, 1st is almost like a granny gear.  Here is the 2018 with the awful looking dragons tail and turn signals on long stalks replaced with small ones.  Also installed are off road mirrors, hand guards, and home made mud guard for the chain.  After the pictures were taken I installed a skid plate.  

With installation of big bore kit they removed the restrictor in the exhaust head pipe, and the silencer in the end of the muffler.  It's not too much louder, and they say it will help performance of the 125.  I drilled out the small holes in the silencer baffle, and the large exit opening and put it back in to reduce the noise somewhat.  I am no longer into the noisy bikes, and can't tell that it hurt performance except at high rpm.  With all accessories and full tank of gas it weighs 235#.

20190213_163800.jpg

20190213_163910.jpg

20190213_164049.jpg

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

I spent the last two summers on a Kawasaki KLX140G (KLX 140 with full size tires).  Anyway, at maybe 10-12 HP I went everywhere everyone else did in our coal mine riding areas here.  I just got there slower but it was a little tank that could climb like a goat even with my big self on it.  

I think a lot of people would appreciate how fun these smaller bikes are if they took a trail run on them.  Running them wide open and climbing up hills and doing silly stuff is a real blast.  The fact that this one can be plated opens it up to all kinds of dual sport events, etc.

• Like 4

On 3/9/2019 at 9:48 AM, RevyRoamer said:

I owe you an apology. 

You are correct! 

I thought that my wife said she had ordered herself one, it turns out that she tried to, but the dealer couldn't. 

She wants to make her Honda crf250l her 80% road use dualsport,  and get another more hard core set up dualsport that is about 90% offroad. 

Does your wife have a sister?  My wife thinks that one bike is enough for everything.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, treecop said:

Does your wife have a sister?  My wife thinks that one bike is enough for everything.....

She is married to, and yes her sister is cool.

We have a garage full of bike, my wife has 3 already and wants another. We met because of bikes actually,  we were both out riding a few years ago and she saw me, came over to chat with me about my bike.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, treecop said:

My wife thinks one bike is one too many!

• Haha 2

We have a garage full of bike, my wife has 3 already and wants another. We met because of bikes actually,  we were both out riding a few years ago and she saw me, came over to chat with me about my bike.

If RevyRoamer can do it, then we can do it. No offense, because I don't know you. I just mean I'm gonna stop my 3 year break from riding. Perhaps meet some good people.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheSlayer said:
5 hours ago, RevyRoamer said:

Read more  

If RevyRoamer can do it, then we can do it. No offense, because I don't know you. I just mean I'm gonna stop my 3 year break from riding. Perhaps meet some good people.

I wouldn't marry someone who doesn't ride, because it is a huge part of my life and my daughters. My wife actually even asked my daughter's permission to marry me, how is that for class. They are basically best friends as well, my wife and daughter are closer in age,  than my wife and I. They do a lot of things together and that includes riding even if I am busy with work. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, RevyRoamer said:

I wouldn't marry someone who doesn't ride, because it is a huge part of my life and my daughters. My wife actually even asked my daughter's permission to marry me, how is that for class. They are basically best friends as well, my wife and daughter are closer in age,  than my wife and I. They do a lot of things together and that includes riding even if I am busy with work. 

That's a good situation there. Glad to hear. Right now I'm just working on getting savings back up after a slow winter, and meeting some good folks once I get a "new" bike.

Edited by TheSlayer
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 6:10 PM, jussenuf said:

Not that I recall. Honda, Yamaha 125's, maybe but no, Hodaka then, no, Not really anything from Europe. The Japanese made lots of small machines, none brought to the US in the last 20 years or so, hence the origin for the Beta 4 valve motor. Not many of us want this small displacement dual-sport. Some choices from Yamaha and Honda for 200 cc plus size machines, and they all weigh a lot more if they have a license plate from the showroom. Next step up is another $4000 and you get a lot more machine. But some of us do not need more suspension and HP. I never looked back and wished for a Yamaha XT 250, or one of the other 250 class dual-sport out there.

Art

Here's an excerpt from a (16) bike test in 1973. They all were, or could easily be made street legal by '70's definition, although there were a few gray D.O.T. areas by the letter of the law. They were all called Enduros. The word Dualsport did not exist back then.

• Like 4

Boondocker, lol.
Wow, 125's were heavy back then.
Oh yeah, I always Enduro basically meant dualsport. That might be part of why ktm in the U.S. changed the exc to xcw years back.

I am intrigued! 🤔

At least 10 Kilo's lighter than my 249cc CRF230. I wonder how much less power to weight ratio with the 183cc Kit it has with a 75KG rider compared with a stock CRF230? If any?

Much better suspension and properly Road Registrable (probably).

Not listed as available in Australia either, but I will ask the importers if it can be. :)