Bryan Bosch

2019 Beta 125 RR-S Dual Sport - First Look

2019 125 RR-S Dual Sport 

New Styling for the popular Dual Sport

beeta.jpg
2019 Beta 125 RR-S

beeta_1.jpg
Low maintenance liquid cooled 125 4 stroke engine 

The new 2019 Beta 125 RR-S Dual Sport has returned for 2019 with a whole new attitude. The popular on/off road model has received a face lift in the way of all new bodywork that resembles the off road RR models. Also new is the striking Italian red frame and black engine covers. The new color combination is stunning to say the least!

Powered by a 4-stroke, 4-valve liquid cooled engine that provides 15 hp and plenty of torque for casual or more spirited riding. The 125 RR-S has more than 10" of suspension travel front & rear which is a class-leader. Beta's Tim Pilg comments, "Our 125 RR-S has been a huge hit for all types of riders, what surprised us the most is the age difference between the different owners, we will sell one to a 16 year old in California and also a 74 year old in Pennsylvania, both loving the bike for different reasons!"

Other features of the model are electric starting, whisper-quiet muffler with spark arrestor, Michelin DOT knobby tires, passenger pegs, hydraulic disk brakes front and rear, aluminum swing arm, and a multi-function meter.

Engine
Type:                                      Italian built single cylinder, 4 valve 4-stroke, liquid cooled 
Bore:                                      52 mm 
Stroke:                                   58.6 mm
Displacement:                      124.6cc 
Compression Ratio:             11.2:1
Ignition:                                CDI (TCI)
Spark Plug:                            NGK CR8E
Lubrication:                          Oil pump w/cartridge oil filter
Oil Capacity                          1000 cc
Carburetor:                           Keihin CV 30 mm
Clutch:                                   Wet multi-disc
Transmission:                        6-speed
Final Drive:                            Chain

Chassis
Frame:                                   Molybdenum steel/double cradle 
Wheelbase:                          55.5"
Seat Height:                         36.4"  
Ground Clearance:              13.2"
Footrest Height:                   15.7"
Dry Weight:                          224.9  lbs. 
Fuel Tank Capacity:              1.9 US gallons
Front Suspension:                41 mm USD fork
Rear Suspension:                 Steel body shock w/adjustable spring preload w/linkage
Front Wheel Travel:             10.2"
Rear Wheel Travel:               10.6"
Final Gearing:                       14t front, 63t rear
Front Brake:                          260mm rotor
Rear Brake:                           220mm rotor
Front/Rear Rim:                   90/90 x 21" (Front) 120/90 x 18" (Rear)                         
Front/Rear Tire:                   Michelin Enduro Competition (DOT Approved)
Warranty:                             12 month Limited Warranty 

Availability:                       End of March

Price:                                 $4999.00              

Prices are MSRP and do not include destination charges, sales tax, license, or dealer preparation fees. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

My daughter has one of these and loves it, coming off a TTR125LE.  At 5-1, it was too tall.  After installing Beta’s 2” lowering kit and a Seat Concepts 1” lower seat, it fits her well.  She now enjoys being able to ride without restriction, and we can do dual sport rides.  This is an underrated bike IMO.

Here she is getting ready to start her first dual sport ride.

0012A84F-595F-470E-9E50-AFFDD021D2CD.jpeg

Edited by Gflo
  • Like 18

4 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

A 125 DS?  Shades of the early 70s. ;)

Not that I recall. Honda, Yamaha 125's, maybe but no, Hodaka then, no, Not really anything from Europe. The Japanese made lots of small machines, none brought to the US in the last 20 years or so, hence the origin for the Beta 4 valve motor. Not many of us want this small displacement dual-sport. Some choices from Yamaha and Honda for 200 cc plus size machines, and they all weigh a lot more if they have a license plate from the showroom. Next step up is another $4000 and you get a lot more machine. But some of us do not need more suspension and HP. I never looked back and wished for a Yamaha XT 250, or one of the other 250 class dual-sport out there.

Art

18 minutes ago, jussenuf said:

Not that I recall. Honda, Yamaha 125's, maybe but no, Hodaka then, no, Not really anything from Europe. The Japanese made lots of small machines, none brought to the US in the last 20 years or so, hence the origin for the Beta 4 valve motor. Not many of us want this small displacement dual-sport. Some choices from Yamaha and Honda for 200 cc plus size machines, and they all weigh a lot more if they have a license plate from the showroom. Next step up is another $4000 and you get a lot more machine. But some of us do not need more suspension and HP. I never looked back and wished for a Yamaha XT 250, or one of the other 250 class dual-sport out there.

Art

Kawasaki F6, Suzuki TS, Honda XL125 to name a few. ;)

• Like 6

Wonderful machine.  The older models got some good reviews as capable single track machines, and as I recall, somebody said a 185 kit was available for them.  I'd love to have one with the big bore kit installed for a fun little kick around machine.:ride:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

63T rear sprocket - Is that a typo? WTF.

Seems like a good (street legal) bike for less experienced (and lighter weight) riders. Definitely much easier to handle than something like a KLX250, and much better components than a TTR or similar.

I wonder what the mileage is like. 15 HP isn't  too shabby. That's 5HP higher than a Honda Grom, and similar to a mid 80's KDX 200

Edited by TheSlayer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheSlayer said:

63T rear sprocket - Is that a typo? WTF.

Seems like a good (street legal) bike for less experienced (and lighter weight) riders. Definitely much easier to handle than something like a KLX250, and much better components than a TTR or similar.

I wonder what the mileage is like. It's neat that this has about 5HP more than a Honda Grom. Of course the liquid cooling allowing a higher compression ratio is part of that.

My daughter’s bike gets better than 100 miles on a tank, which I believe is 1.6 gallons.  She goes on reserve at around 95 miles.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gflo said:

My daughter’s bike gets better than 100 miles on a tank, which I believe is 1.6 gallons.  She goes on reserve at around 95 miles.

Well, that's about twice the mpg I could ever get with a 2stroke. Good picture up above - Smiles and fun times :thumbsup:. Riding dirt bikes with my dad was the best. Old dirt bikes were better than not riding. :ride:

Edited by TheSlayer
  • Like 2

With every passing year I better understand the less is more lifestyle. A 125 to 250 cc mild mannered bike is enough for me now, and 100 mile range is more than enough. Most rides are not more than about 50 miles between gas stations. 

6 hours ago, Zomby woof said:

1 minute ago, Goatse said:

That's the 125 2 stroke (RR). 

This thread is about the 125 4 stroke (RS). 

Sorry wrong link, but call the Beta dealer in kelowna and they will get you a dualsport 125 4 stroke.

Not listed on their website as available and I've had zero luck trying to contact Beta Canada.

I'm sitting at the airport far from home right now, but when I get home tonight I will ask the wife, maybe I misunderstood her, but thought she told me she had one on order from the dealer in Kelowna. 

• Like 1

I sent Redline an email.

We'll see if I have better luck with them

• Like 1

I really kind of want this bike for my first off road bike.  My buddy (who is more experienced off-road) keeps telling me that this is way too little power and I'll be bored.   Well, I dunno, but an uncorked wr250F send me over the bars a couple month ago, so.......

Looks damn sexy and affordable, that's for sure.  

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 6:20 AM, Zomby woof said:

I would be looking at one if they were available in Canada

I owe you an apology. 

You are correct! 

I thought that my wife said she had ordered herself one, it turns out that she tried to, but the dealer couldn't. 

She wants to make her Honda crf250l her 80% road use dualsport,  and get another more hard core set up dualsport that is about 90% offroad. 

• Like 2