New member. Wife authorized me to ride again!

Putting money into an XR100 for suspension and more seems like a huge waste to me...

XRs are bulletproof. Run the things and see where this takes you guys. If the domestic overlord allows this to continue, you will end up needing more capable bikes very soon.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Chris P Bacon said:

Anyways I tried to teach her how to ride there was nothing around for 150 feet so I figured she wouldn't hit anything.  I was wrong.  So I convinced her, after she wiped all the dirt off herself, to try again, same result head first into a tree.  She won't touch a bike again. 

Hasn't she ever been in a fender bender with the family vehicle ? Would that make her swear off from either one of you ever driving a cage again? Anyway, stay safe with the XR100's. Good bikes. You'll make good memories with your son. :ride:

• Like 1

I cannot fathom being with someone that I would have to ask permission to do anything. Nor would I expect her to need to ask me permission. Glad its working out for you, none the less. 

We live in a sad society where men have to ask women for permission to do what they love. Live your life, you only get one. If they love you, they'll stay. If not, then you just saved yourself many more years of misery.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I cannot stand the idea of being with someone who would want to restrict what I do in any way (short of infidelity or driving us into fiscal instability)

I’ve told every girl I’ve ever been serious with should we ever marry and she yells at me for spilling oil on the garage floor I’d be back by the end of the day with divorce paperwork. Naturally more of the principal than me loving to pour oil on my garage floor.

It might be me; I might be an a** but I don’t tolerate much.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, Hoover388 said:

Putting money into an XR100 for suspension and more seems like a huge waste to me...

XRs are bulletproof. Run the things and see where this takes you guys. If the domestic overlord allows this to continue, you will end up needing more capable bikes very soon.

Springs are cheap, and a necessity for anyone over 150#... Oil is normal maintenance, once a decade, or so...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rembrand said:

Get a third one and include your wife into your riding. 

I vote this the most helpful post in the thread even though I haven't read anything past this post.

I had two of the 2002 XR100's for my kids.  They're smaller than an adult might think they are.

Your wife will top out on the easy to find and afford Yamaha TTR 125.  Get it in electric start.

You and your son should get a couple Honda CRF 230F's.

Easy to ride, bullet proof, and hold their resale value.

That should hold you two over for a year or two and then you will find out where you what to go after that regarding your 'next step' bikes.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, zotis777 said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I cannot stand the idea of being with someone who would want to restrict what I do in any way (short of infidelity or driving us into fiscal instability)

I’ve told every girl I’ve ever been serious with should we ever marry and she yells at me for spilling oil on the garage floor I’d be back by the end of the day with divorce paperwork. Naturally more of the principal than me loving to pour oil on my garage floor.

It might be me; I might be an a** but I don’t tolerate much.

That’s the way it’s done Lad. I told all my girlfriends and wife that the bikes were here before they were. They knew not to make me pick between them because they knew who would win. Those who tried were gone quickly. 

• Like 2

My old neighbor was forced to sell his bikes by his wife. After the divorce when we would go riding he said he didn't miss her as much as riding. But we all have to make our own choices as to what's right for us. As for getting the wife to ride--it worked for me, albeit with some difficult times. However I'm sure that riding dirt bikes is not for everyone and is a dead-end in many situations.

I'm glad you have reached a compromise. I'm not sure how you will ever make that 100 work under a 14 yr old, much less a grown man. I think you started too small but there are upgrades you may be able to find for the engine/carb/exhaust as well as the necessary suspension that has been mentioned. Those engines didn't change much for long periods and you might be able to find a big bore kit like I did for my kids' 70 that included everything necessary. You will also need tall bars. You are really testing the theory posited in another post that the best bike in the world is the one under you...

• Like 2

Lol ahh it's not as bad as you may think this is really her only fault. For some reason she's got it in her head that me or my son will die on a bike. I could tell her "hunny I'm going to rob a bank I'll be back in a few weeks" and I promise you she'd say "Ok babe what do you want for dinner when you get back."

We live in a sad society where men have to ask women for permission to do what they love. Live your life, you only get one. If they love you, they'll stay. If not, then you just saved yourself many more years of misery.

One day she’s making you ask permission for a dirt bike. The next day your watching from the corner of your own bedroom. 

Stay safe buddy 
Lol ahh this is her only fault really. I could tell her "Babe me and my buddies are going to start a strip club I'm gonna take off for a few weeks and find some strippers to work" and she'd be like "Ok babe you want me to pack your suit case?"
  • Like 1

My old neighbor was forced to sell his bikes by his wife. After the divorce when we would go riding he said he didn't miss her as much as riding. But we all have to make our own choices as to what's right for us. As for getting the wife to ride--it worked for me, albeit with some difficult times. However I'm sure that riding dirt bikes is not for everyone and is a dead-end in many situations.
I'm glad you have reached a compromise. I'm not sure how you will ever make that 100 work under a 14 yr old, much less a grown man. I think you started too small but there are upgrades you may be able to find for the engine/carb/exhaust as well as the necessary suspension that has been mentioned. Those engines didn't change much for long periods and you might be able to find a big bore kit like I did for my kids' 70 that included everything necessary. You will also need tall bars. You are really testing the theory posited in another post that the best bike in the world is the one under you...
Awesome input! Yes I was looking at some threads where people did a 120 overbore. Seems like a direction I'll get too after awhile. Another reason I like these bikes is they seem so easy to work on which is almost as big of a deal to me as riding with my son. So far he has shown much interest in working on anything mechanical. I'm hoping he gets the bug like I did when I was his age. The difference is I'm pretty mechanically inclined and i never had anyone to show me anything when I was a kid.
  • Like 1

Well got the bikes let fun begin! They're a bit rougher than the guy let on of course but I fired them both up before handing over the $800.00 bucks for both. I think it's a decent deal. First purchases will be 2 new front tires and a fender for the 81'.

1981 xr100.
1982 xr100.

20190308_223200.jpeg20190308_223155.jpeg

• Like 2

When I met my wife I didn’t have a dirt bike. Had gone through a divorce a few years before. Child support and all the bills the first wife left me with required the liquidation of all non-necessary assets. The new wife could see all the pics in the photo albums of me on dirt bikes through the previous years. We hadn’t been together even a year yet and were at the second funeral in a month for buddies that died on their Harley. She looked at me on the way out of the funeral home and said, “ Promise me No street bikes.” I replied with, “That’s cool, I’m kinda scared of cars anyway.” Couple of years go by and I find a barn find KDX 250 for $100. I’m rolling it to the shop in the backyard and she comes to the door with that bitch look on her face and says, “What the hell is that?” I replied with ,”My new motorcycle!” All happy and excited like a kid at Christmas. She says,” I thought I said no motorcycles!” I reminded her that, “ No, you said no street bikes! This is a dirt bike and if I run into a tree, it is not the trees fault it did not move!” I’ve run into a few trees since, once she even tried to suggest I was getting to old for this stuff. Then she realizes that no matter what causes my injury whether work or play I work hard rehabbing so I can get back on the bike. I stay in marginally decent shape so I can ride. Now from time to time when I haven’t been riding cause things are too busy she will say,” Do you have plans to ride anytime soon. Cause you have an attitude problem.” She says my attitude is much better for a couple of weeks after I ride, that I’m more happy go lucky.
Tell her it would be nice if she bought you and son some protective gear. Dress for the crash, it ain’t if but when.
I still play on the xr100 I have left from the daughter when she was young. It’s a blast to ride it just needs stiffer springs if an adult is riding it. Hard landings suck.

• Like 3