DaveWilson

Why would anyone buy a KTM over a YZ250X?

Posted (edited)

Okay, before I cause someone to snap I should say that I keep going around in circles between the YZ250X and KTM 250XC/XC-W models. Everytime I seem to come to the conclusion that a YZ250X would be best, but so many people seem to go orange and I feel like I am missing something...

Here’s how I break it down. The KTM’s have a lot of “better” features... electric start, larger tank, adjustable power valve, hydraulic clutch, better brakes... but is it really worth the price tag? I read so many posts about KTM starter problems and how you should only use it when you really need it or just delete it altogether unless you are happy buying parts for it all the time. What’s the point of having a starter if you can’t use it?! As for the larger tank, seems like a nice thing but personally I don’t ride too far from my trailer and can always plan fuel stops. Adjustable power valve is probably nice too but how often do people honestly swap the springs out or make adjustments? Hydraulic clutch is definitely sweet but the YZ clutch is pretty light and worst case scenario I could buy an aftermarket hydraulic one for a few hundred bucks. Brakes are nicer on the KTM, no argument against that.

Now... for the YZ250X, it has great suspension, a huge amount of aftermarket support and inexpensive parts, it comes with a spare top end kit, people that own it seem to love it, and it’s a few thousand (Canadian$) less!

From this you would think I have chosen the Yamaha, but I am still considering both brands and am interested in what people have to say.

So if you have chosen a KTM over a YZX or vice-versa, why did you make that decision and how did it work out? Thanks if advance!

Dave

Edit: I should say a little about my experience level... I am a recreational intermediate rider that rides flowy singletrack trails in the woods with logs, the odd rock and other obstacles. I have owned a CR250R and YZ450F that I rode on the mx track, and a KLX250S that I commuted and rode trails on last summer but recently sold so I could get a dedicated trail bike. Price is important, but looking more at value as opposed to a firm budget.

Edited by DaveWilson

When yamaha offers a yz250xw and a yz250xc , then maybe we can have a fair comparison?   Add lighting coil to your list, that's what x owners I know would like, for heated grips and a headlight.  And cost, it's closer than you think if you shop around, 250's are often leftovers shadowed by the 300's.

• Like 5

If you compare the YZ250FX and the YZ450FX to the Euros you are right.   Yamaha went all-in and they are right on par with the Euros.  If I was in the market for a new 4 stroke woods bike, I'd for sure be looking at the YZ250FX.

But the YZ250X is kind of Yamaha testing the waters in my opinion.  The YZ is a great platform, and the fact that it can compete with just a few off road tweaks says a lot.  But until Yamaha gives the YZ250X the same complete redesign the YZ-FXs got, I still think they are step behind the Euros.   No 6 speed, no e-start, no big fuel tank, no counter-balancer, no fuel injection and no hydraulic clutch.  For my money, those are all big deals and all worth the price of admission.  

Doc

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, gdwrench said:

Third video his fast guy friend says the X is not as torquey as his old KX250s. That'd be a red flag to me because those KX's pull like Euro 300s off the bottom (albeit less but same style). Then he says he couldn't dial in the power jet YZ carb so he bought a Lectron. Many have found the Lectron's to really remove low end torque (self included) so, IMO, he's got a double whammy here. He's a fast guy and likes the X which is a close comparison to the KTM XC (not the XCW).

BTW, to tune the YZ power jet, read this thread instead of blowing $500 on a Lectron.

• Like 7

Okay, before I cause someone to snap I should say that I keep going around in circles between the YZ250X and KTM 250XC/XC-W models. Everytime I seem to come to the conclusion that a YZ250X would be best, but so many people seem to go orange and I feel like I am missing something...
Here’s how I break it down. The KTM’s have a lot of “better” features... electric start, larger tank, adjustable power valve, hydraulic clutch, better brakes... but is it really worth the price tag? I read so many posts about KTM starter problems and how you should only use it when you really need it or just delete it altogether unless you are happy buying parts for it all the time. What’s the point of having a starter if you can’t use it?! As for the larger tank, seems like a nice thing but personally I don’t ride too far from my trailer and can always plan fuel stops. Adjustable power valve is probably nice too but how often do people honestly swap the springs out or make adjustments? Hydraulic clutch is definitely sweet but the YZ clutch is pretty light and worst case scenario I could buy an aftermarket hydraulic one for a few hundred bucks. Brakes are nicer on the KTM, no argument against that.
Now... for the YZ250X, it has great suspension, a huge amount of aftermarket support and inexpensive parts, it comes with a spare top end kit, people that own it seem to love it, and it’s a few thousand (Canadian$) less!
From this you would think I have chosen the Yamaha, but I am still considering both brands and am interested in what people have to say.
So if you have chosen a KTM over a YZX or vice-versa, why did you make that decision and how did it work out? Thanks if advance!
Dave
Edit: I should say a little about my experience level... I am a recreational intermediate rider that rides flowy singletrack trails in the woods with logs, the odd rock and other obstacles. I have owned a CR250R and YZ450F that I rode on the mx track, and a KLX250S that I commuted and rode trails on last summer but recently sold so I could get a dedicated trail bike. Price is important, but looking more at value as opposed to a firm budget.

Have you looked at the Honda crf250x or the 450x ? I was dead set on the Husky FX350 but pick up a 2017 450X new old stock for 6300 and must say I’m happy I did
  • Like 1

I'm just getting back into dirt bikes after 17 years away. I've had 6 YZ250's and was looking very hard at the 250x although I had an open mind and was fully considering a Beta 250 RR RE, KTM 250 XC, and a Husky TX 300. In the end, the dealers in my regional area made the decision for me. I called every Yamaha, KTM, Beta, and Husky dealer within a 3hr radius of me. I wasn't going to drive more than 6 hrs. for a bike. The Yamaha stores only had 2019 models and all quoted full list $7,495. I was able to get a couple to waive their assy and dlr fees. The best I could get on a Beta was a little over $300 off list and waived dlr fees. Still $9,150 + tax. The Husky's were all over $9,500 + tax. All were on 2019 models. One KTM store about an hour from me had a 2018 250XC for $8,350 ($9,450 list). I talked him down to $8,000 + tax no fees. I also took him up on their 1.9% financing....My money market account does better than that. I figured for $500 more than the Yamaha, I get all the stuff listed above. The starter was a new design with the counter-balanced motor in 2017 and is more reliable. I'm not looking forward to the jeers I will probably get from other riders since I'm on a KTM, but I will try to break the KTM stereotype. I plan on continuing to wear my blue riding gear.

My point is, shop around and see what deals are out there. I called about 20 stores.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

My excuse was I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Sort of. In my younger days I always wanted a YZ. I just had this perception, owning small bore RM and KX bikes as a kid, right or wrong, that Yamahas were the best. But KTM didn’t exist in my mind back then (or at all). I went to the dealer and bought 3 “blue” bikes for me and my 2 sons. Three orange bikes would have surely cost way more and been less straightforward on selection with (my sense) less beginner friendly options for their ages and sizes from KTM compared to Yamaha. Truth be told, all having the same “looking” bikes mattered to getting them off on the right foot as a “team.” In reality, I can afford either brand so that’s not the point. And I am always surprised on all those “What bike should I buy?” threads that on an $8 to $10k purchase for something that will matter to someone’s psyche so much, plus all the aftermarket mods most will do, that $1k or $2k even matters in the grand scheme of things. (Buy the bike you want!) That said, I have no regrets. Suspension matters. How much? A lot? Or even the most? And with help from folks here on TT, I’ve got my X dialed in pretty well, including that PJ40 jetting thread which is spot on for most. And who needs electric start if you have a Rekluse? (I was late to that party.) I start my bike once. Ok, maybe twice after lunch. I do, at times, see those orange bikes and wonder if I’d been happier with one. And then I start up the Yamaha — not a single malfunction since I’ve owned it and I suspect (knock on wood) I won’t have one anytime soon — and my grin grows and any consideration of past decisions made differently fade away fast!

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Utah_2T said:

One KTM store about an hour from me had a 2018 250XC for $8,350 ($9,450 list). I talked him down to $8,000 + tax no fees. I also took him up on their 1.9% financing....My money market account does better than that. I figured for $500 more than the Yamaha, I get all the stuff listed above.

Exactly what highmarker said in post two.

Here's a thought: If we look at the list price spread out over 5 years time, for example $8400 vs $9600, it's $140/mo vs $160/mo. For 5+ years of fun on a certain bike, an extra $20-25/mo for a non-YZ should mean just get what you want. We're not talking about car for $30K vs $40K plus a 5 year loan equaling $3-5K interest.

I figure the YZ/X keeps having minimal changes because they continue to sell so well. Plenty of people take $6-8K and buy 1 outright. They could probably afford a bike that seems like it wasn't made 15 years ago.

I suppose most of those are being raced, otherwise they would be more common on the trails. For some, a YZX with a few mods makes a great woods bike, and they're able to kickstart it. Forget the the YZ or a KTM, I'm itching to ride the 200RR. Although, my 2nd pick is a TX300.

• Like 2

8000 OTD for my 250xc, with all the extra goodies the decision was easy.  I wanted the xc anyway, but the price difference at msrp was big.  My dealer was willing to work with me.

Like mentioned above, if you haven't ridden a KTM it's just "goodies".  Once you ridden one you will get it imo.  Yamaha makes a good bike, but KTM has it nailed.

• Like 4

What's the best oil to put in either of these bikes? Asking for a friend.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

8000 OTD for my 250xc, with all the extra goodies the decision was easy.  I wanted the xc anyway, but the price difference at msrp was big.  My dealer was willing to work with me.
Whew, about $1k less than common near me. That's about what an Xtrainer costs.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheSlayer said:

Whew, about $1k less than common near me. That's about what an Xtrainer costs.

Xtrainer Should be around $7k  OTD.

Many of the "features" of the KTM are things I don't want or don't need on my trail bike. Such as

- 6 speed (don't need, would not hate)
- Hydraulic clutch
- Speedo or other electronic devices
- Fuel injection

I love exactly how simple my bike is, with very few things to break. Love the motor and suspension. Carb is cake if you just take a few minutes to read the basics here. In fact, if you just go to the jetting database you literally don't need to know anything about jetting beyond how to follow your manual to find a very close match to whatever conditions you ride. A coil, headlight, and even a starter would be nice. I added my own coil and light.

Finally, mapping. I don't ever want any big brother looking over my shoulder on mapping my bike. Of course with the current YZ cdi you just use the stock YZ250X, YZ250, or aftermarket.

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 3