DaveWilson

Why would anyone buy a KTM over a YZ250X?

1 hour ago, Hans Schmid said:

Most of what you said is anecdotal. And contradicts the general world concensus of the latest generation of KTMs vs a YZX. 

For sure, 99.99% of that which is said on Thumpertalk is anecdotal. But something can be both anecdotal and accurate. 

What is not anecdotal is the number of places charging big bucks to convert WP forks to KYB SSS. NOBODY is looking to convert KYB forks to WP.

If you Google "KTM" and "stinkbug" you may find my observation to be less anecdotal.

I admit that I have not ridden a 2019 KTM. I have not herd that the handling is much different than older KTMs. But when KTM says that changes in the frame provide better "straight-line stability" I'm not too hopeful for a better turning bike.

I'm not saying KTMs are bad bikes. They are great bikes. I love riding my KTM. But I have ridden enough different bikes to know that some bikes do some things better than KTM.

• Like 1

For sure, 99.99% of that which is said on Thumpertalk is anecdotal. But something can be both anecdotal and accurate. 
What is not anecdotal is the number of places charging big bucks to convert WP forks to KYB SSS. NOBODY is looking to convert KYB forks to WP.
If you Google "KTM" and "stinkbug" you may find my observation to be less anecdotal.
I admit that I have not ridden a 2019 KTM. I have not herd that the handling is much different than older KTMs. But when KTM says that changes in the frame provide better "straight-line stability" I'm not too hopeful for a better turning bike.
I'm not saying KTMs are bad bikes. They are great bikes. I love riding my KTM. But I have ridden enough different bikes to know that some bikes do some things better than KTM.

Ktms handle leagues above all bikes. They turn, go straight and i gave up a set of sss for aer because the aer is much better for me. Husky and ktm have their shit together. Honda needs some neutrality. I have a 2019 husky and stinkbug is not a word even remotely accurate. They are actually the opposite of a stinkbug and actually turn on a dime. Yamaha can go straight really well, but thats about it
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 2

4 hours ago, hondaman331 said:
4 hours ago, coconut_laden_spode said:

Read more  

Ktms handle leagues above all bikes. They turn, go straight and i gave up a set of sss for aer because the aer is much better for me. Husky and ktm have their shit together. Honda needs some neutrality. I have a 2019 husky and stinkbug is not a word even remotely accurate. They are actually the opposite of a stinkbug and actually turn on a dime. Yamaha can go straight really well, but thats about it

Great post from someone who has had both vs someone who has not.

• Like 2

You might as well just drink the Orange Kool Aid and figure out what it's all about.  There's a reason it's a sea of orange out there at every hare scramble and enduro. 

ktm.png.b2a0b1f56a1077b70c719eb449797df3.png
I feel like that should be more accurately captioned "Oh Well"
  • Like 1

Why? DBC is not the authority on "which bike is better". 
TT offers the widest variety of skill set, saddle time and experience IN THE WORLD. Nothing of what DBC can offer even compares. DBC is literally a grain of salt in a ocean of information that TT can provide. 
Your post reminds me of this exact skit. 

I think Tahoe was using that video to make the point that both are great bikes and both are fun to ride. People on Thumpertalk will nit-pick one or the other apart, possibly without ever having ridden either.

Thumpertak is a great place for opinions with no backing, like a kid who's only ever ridden a KLX110 giving his professional opinion on why the 2019 RMZ450 handles terribly. For evey good opinion here there are 10 bad ones. Such is the internet. Look how badly the CRF450L was bashed as too heavy/light, too racey/lethargic, too harsh/soft, too streety/enduro-y, based on the first press release and long before anyone (outside of Honda R&D) swung a leg over one.

Point is, most modern bikes are pretty damn good. Pick one and ride. And whatever you get, at some point someone on a clapped out KLX300 will pass you....
  • Like 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Great post from someone who has had both vs someone who has not.
I still have both....yz collects dust, but i did make sure it started yesterday!
  • Like 3

I suspect this post is biased to just ktm and yamaha 250’s but the 300’s seem to be a “best of best” in a lot of catagories. And the Sherco is winning to, then for way less money than these bikes is my Honda CR250R, with hydro clutch, flywheel weight, killer suspension, power to the moon and lighter than ktm or yamaha.IMG_0177.thumb.JPG.064c773921c3849b426148de48770ad3.JPG

• Like 1

I have ridden on both forks, you are not giving up anything going to the AER. Save for my 125, this 250xc is the best handling bike I have owned. You point it in a direction and it goes. Coming off 2014+ yz250fs, this bike handles and does everything nearly perfect. And yes the 17+ ktms handle completely different from the previous gen bikes.

If theres one thing I cant stand, its “yeah I rode my buddies 2010 250sx and didnt like it so every ktm made must feel exactly like this” I know you have a ATM, but thats what most people say about them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shutax said:

“yeah I rode my buddies 2010 250sx and didnt like it so every ktm made must feel exactly like this” 

Or my buddy's KTM blew up so all KTMs are unreliable. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimwil1 said:

That’s it lets add the CRF250RX to the conversation

Why stop there? We need a z50r comparison against the klx300r next. They both have Rs in the name so it’s game on!

Ok, so I sense another anti-ktm post but truefully my ktm is easily the best bike I’ve ever owned. And for most non racers the suspension is great.

P.S. And I got a deal on my year end KTM that would have put in the Yamaha price range.

• Like 1

I dont understand the anti KTM stuff. Its like comparing a silverado to a denali. Yeah, the silverado can get you from point A to B, but the denali has a couple features that are very nice to have for some more money.
Idk any more ways to relate it. If you cant afford a ktm dont cry that your 14 year old designed bike doesent have all the goodies that the kool-aid drinkers have and try to say they suck.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, shutax said:

If theres one thing I cant stand, its “yeah I rode my buddies 2010 250sx and didnt like it 

2 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

Or my buddy's KTM blew up so all KTMs are unreliable. 

Don't forget, parts are really expensive too.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shutax said:

I dont understand the anti KTM stuff. Its like comparing a silverado to a denali. Yeah, the silverado can get you from point A to B, but the denali has a couple features that are very nice to have for some more money.
Idk any more ways to relate it. If you cant afford a ktm dont cry that your 14 year old designed bike doesent have all the goodies that the kool-aid drinkers have and try to say they suck.

But my 2006 Toyota Tundra does everything the Denali does but it cost less so its better..  And I feel its more reliable. :ride:

• Like 1

Don't forget, parts are really expensive too.
I believed that, until I bought a KTM. Unbelievable how cheap some oem parts are! And very available, such as all suspension internals. Working on it is easy, an I LOVE the tunability (powervalve, ignition maps). Can make it whatever you want.
  • Like 7

And so it IS true then; it’s more reliable 

The what more reliable stuff is so much BS it isnt funny. There are waaay to many variables between maintenance and how you ride the bike to say which motor is more relaible. But guess what? If you take care of them, they will both last! I know crazy idea.
  • Haha 1