Augoose

2004 CRF450r flywheel

So I pulled my valve cover yesterday to check valve clearances since the rebuild over the winter and while I was at it, I thought I'd check timing as well. I didn't know about the timing marks on the flywheel last time I did this, so I looked for them this time and found none.

Did OEM flywheels in 2004 have the marks? If so, I suppose that means mine has been replaced. I've read about putting in heavier flywheels for better trail riding ability, but are there other reasons to replace a flywheel?
thanks

Not usually. There's a timing mark, but you cant see it with the cover on. There's an indicator drill hole and on the case, there's a small arrow. When those line up, youre at TCD.

If you are looking straight into the left cover hole, you may not see it, I didn't. While keeping your view straight, try lowering your head and looking up. Worked for me. Having someone very slowly turn the engine while approaching TDC on the compression stroke (cam lobes back) helps.

Make sure to line up the right mark on the flywheel and the cams mark with the cam tower when the cam tensioner is applied.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I confirmed timing with the dot on the other side and everything seems good. I was more curious if a previous owner might have blessed me with a heavier weight flywheel for trail riding?

8 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

What he's seeing through that hole is an unmarked flywheel. Trailtech didnt put the T and F marks on them for some reason.

I gotcha' Shawn. Still, the pics I post make you think you can see the marks easily but that wasn't the case on my bike. Thanks. :thumbsup:

On 3/11/2019 at 6:22 PM, Augoose said:

Thanks guys. I confirmed timing with the dot on the other side and everything seems good. I was more curious if a previous owner might have blessed me with a heavier weight flywheel for trail riding?

Im thinking yes. It'd be worth the 11 bucks for a stator gasket to find out, if it were me.

I recently put a trailtech on my CRF. I have to say I was disappointed to see they didn't mark them for timing. Ive always been a rod and indicator down the plug hole kinda guy but for most people the timing mark would have really helped

Thanks Shawn. If I were to do that, what method would you suggest? Align the dot on the clutch side AND verify TDC with wooden dowel through spark plug hole? Regarding marking the flywheel, could I use a sharp punch through the left side hole cover on the stator and then gently tap a point into the edge of the flywheel? Would the flywheel withstand a slight hit like that?

If me, and my bike had an aftermarket flywheel, I'd buy an OEM one off ebay, put that on to time it with the pics I posted then put the aftermarket back on if I liked it. I saw some for around $20.00. Just my $0.02.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HRC27 said:

If me, and my bike had an aftermarket flywheel, I'd buy an OEM one off ebay, put that on to time it with the pics I posted then put the aftermarket back on if I liked it. I saw some for around $20.00. Just my $0.02.

Interesting. I feel like the timing adjustment of one tooth either way is a pretty large move and that the dot on the clutch side gets me pretty close. However, if my timing was off one tooth advanced or retarded, I presume the symptoms would be significantly noticeable right? Such as bad popping, backfiring etc? My bike seems to run pretty well, but I've noticed the idle isn't perfectly smooth, but I also have a pro circuit T4 exhaust and I feel like every subtle imperfection in the idle is accentuated because of it. I suppose my question is if I were off one tooth one direction or the other, would it be immediately noticeable or is that adjustment really a fine tuning thing?

If it was retarded, the decompressor comes on too late and there's a TON of compression. You've gotta kick the living shit out of it to get it fired up. They run ok like that though. Advanced I dont recall ever seeing because it just doesn't happen. They never idle perfectly smooth. The cam is too big and radical.

When the cam timing is correct, you should be able to start the thing with flip flops on.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Shawn, puts it in perspective. mine starts cold 1 or 2 kicks, so I'm very happy with that. I suppose expectations for a perfectly smooth idle are unrealistic. Thanks all for the feedback!

Edited by Augoose
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 8:12 PM, Augoose said:

Thanks Shawn, puts it in perspective. mine starts cold 1 or 2 kicks, so I'm very happy with that. I suppose expectations for a perfectly smooth idle are unrealistic. Thanks all for the feedback!

It's probably too rich on the fuel screw. Get the fuel screw adjusted properly it'll start easy, hot or cold and it'll idle pretty good. Little details like this shed a lot of light.