s.hiles

What sprocket setup do y’all run?

Just curious to see what setup everyone runs. I’m on the stock 13/50 as of now but have a renthal 52 some one gave me. My riding is single track wooded, I love the enduro style riding of slow and technical obstacles. Don’t really get up into the higher gears at all, 5th and 6th. Wondering if it would benefit me to drop the gearing some.

What do y’all ride and what’s your setup?

Thanks!

Bike is a 14 crf230f with vulcanduro tires, jet kit and Bruce’s magic suspension.

• Like 1

Just curious to see what setup everyone runs. I’m on the stock 13/50 as of now but have a renthal 52 some one gave me. My riding is single track wooded, I love the enduro style riding of slow and technical obstacles. Don’t really get up into the higher gears at all, 5th and 6th. Wondering if it would benefit me to drop the gearing some.

Thanks!

Bike is a 14 crf230f with vulcanduro tires, jet kit and Bruce’s magic suspension.

13/50 would be great as is. I can't see needing a lower 1st gear. If you think you do put the ,52 on. RM runs 12/50. Easy change but 12t is hard on the chain. Our gearing stock or stroker big bore. ,Local 14/45. For overnight long rides 15/45 as different riding in Baja. All trails long distance with dirt road between trails . Still with hi gear we can do the most difficult tight hill climb single track. As witnessed by RM on his 12/50 geared 230. With you in tight area not using 5/6 gear. 13/52 or stock gear perfect.

I ride tight single track. First is about useless anyway. Most of what I ride is second and third gear kinda stuff. I went 51 on the rear to bring third in just a hair sooner. Was just changing shift point to my preference.

• Like 1

IMO:

A 13 tooth counter makes first gear useless. you have a 6, might as well use all 6?
I don’t ride Baja but I would install a 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket.

If you have engine mods for more power (piston, cam, carb, ProCom. Porting , etc) then at least 2-3 teeth less on the rear. (But still a 14 on the front-unless you ride Baja and have engine mods, then a 15t)

• Like 1

I am running 13/52 gearing (Sunstar Sprockets w/stock chain) on my 2015 Honda CRF-230F. I ride on tight technical single track trails in the mountains of Western North Carolina. I only use first gear for riding up streams or really short steep hill climbs. I just start off in 2nd gear, and I can use 2nd and 3rd on all of the tight stuff now and still have plenty of top speed if needed. I never use 6th gear at all where I ride at.

• Like 1

I am running 13/52 gearing (Sunstar Sprockets w/stock chain) on my 2015 Honda CRF-230F. I ride on tight technical single track trails in the mountains of Western North Carolina. I only use first gear for riding up streams or really short steep hill climbs. I just start off in 2nd gear, and I can use 2nd and 3rd on all of the tight stuff now and still have plenty of top speed if needed. I never use 6th gear at all where I ride at.

I may throw my 15 on I just know I’ll need a new chain.

Mine hits the chain guide when I put it on, how did you avoid that on yours?

Posted (edited)

I am running the stock 13T front sprocket, I just installed a 52T Sunstar rear sprocket and the stock chain worked with this set up. The 52T was very close to the rear chain guide but it does clear, a 53T would not work.  

Edited by gspartsguy
  • Like 1

I am running the stock 13T front sprocket, I just installed a 52T Sunstar rear sprocket and the stock chain worked with this set up.   

Meant to say 53 rear haha, I tried with my stock chain and I didn’t have enough. Although that was a couple months ago and my chain has stretched some since then lol.

Posted (edited)

My rear wheel is moved all the way forward and the 52T works with the stock chain. A 53T would require a longer chain with a 13T front sprocket. Your chain will not stretch enough for a 53T sprocket. Also because I bought a like new used 2015 Honda CRF-230F that has very low hours I did not need to replace the entire set of chain and sprockets as they were still like new. Normally you should replace the chain and sprockets as a complete set or you will just wear out the new parts. 

Edited by gspartsguy

9 hours ago, s.hiles said:

Thanks!

What did you have Bruce do to your suspension on your CRF-230F? How do you like it? The stock suspension is not even good for pavement, lol.

• Like 2

So would a 14 or 15 counter work best for tight trails and make 1st gear useable? (Older rider, stock rear sprocket)

What did you have Bruce do to your suspension on your CRF-230F? How do you like it? The stock suspension is not even good for pavement, lol.

He rebuilt my front forks. He takes them apart and solders up the factory dampening rod holes and re drills his own set of holes along with cutting the stock springs and adding spacers depending on what weight you want it setup for. He suggest the Hagon Shock for the rear but I found a xr500 reservoir shock that I had rebuild and setup for me by Hlebo Brothers in CA.

Bruce is in Salisbury NC and I actually took him my whole forks instead of just bringing him my dampening rods and springs. Thinks it’s about 80-90 to just do the rods and springs and 200 for him to completely rebuild them seals and all.

A quick search on here and everyone will suggest his work A+
  • Like 1

So would a 14 or 15 counter work best for tight trails and make 1st gear useable? (Older rider, stock rear sprocket)

Personally I like the low gearing and use 1st gear. I feel a lot of guys on here are more into going faster but that’s not the kind of riding I’m into. I like the slower technical stuff, not so much of seeing how fast a can go and breaking bones when I crash haha.

I think I’m going to up my rear to 52 like partsguy said and test it out
  • Like 1

I think you will like the 52T on the rear. What part of NC are you from? 

1 hour ago, s.hiles said:

Personally I like the low gearing and use 1st gear. I feel a lot of guys on here are more into going faster but that’s not the kind of riding I’m into. I like the slower technical stuff, not so much of seeing how fast a can go and breaking bones when I crash haha.

I think I’m going to up my rear to 52 like partsguy said and test it out emoji106.png

Let me know what you think please.

• Like 1

I ride the hardest, slowest, nastiest east-coast extreme enduro you'll find.  And my 230 was stock other than a Pro-Circuit exhaust and correct jetting (and Bruce's suspension).

A 15 tooth countersprocket is the easily the best $15 I spent on my 230.  With the stock 50 tooth rear, it actually made 1st gear usable. 

The stock 13/50 setup is geared insanely steep in 1st gear.  The total gear ratio is 32.9 : 1.  That's 50% steeper than my 2-stroke enduro bike (which still has a relatively short 1st gear, that I've never once wished was shorter). 

Going to a 15 tooth gets it to a somewhat more useful 28.5 : 1.  It is still plenty steep enough to handle the hardest terrain you can imagine, but the taller gear is helpful at allowing you to carry some more speed up technical terrain, which trust me, can be REALLY helpful.  The word-of-the-day regarding hard, gnarly terrain is MOMENTUM, and a 230 with stock 13/50 gearing on the rev-limiter in 1st gear doesn't have much.

Under no circumstances would I go to anything steeper than the stock 13/50.  If a change is to be made, go up a tooth or 2 on the front, and then if a further change is to be made, start going down on the rear.   I very seriously doubt the reduction up in 5th/6th gear will bother you, as the 230 doesn't make enough power to "pull" the whole way through 6th anyway.  If it does bother you, it's super quick and easy to just swap back to the 13T on the front for those rides.

Going up on the front sprocket size also has the advantage of preventing this from happening.  Which, btw, REALLY sucks when it happens.  I had it happen several times.  Sometimes trail-side-fixable, sometimes you're pushing the bike back out. 

7 hours ago, s.hiles said:

Bruce is in Salisbury NC and I actually took him my whole forks instead of just bringing him my dampening rods and springs. Thinks it’s about 80-90 to just do the rods and springs and 200 for him to completely rebuild them seals and all.

A quick search on here and everyone will suggest his work emoji106.png A+

7 hours ago, gspartsguy said:

I think you will like the 52T on the rear. What part of NC are you from? 

I'm in Raleigh / Greensboro, depending on the time of day.  We ride up at Brushy very frequently, usually 2-3 weekends a month.  Let's meet up and ride sometime.  We'll be heading up there the entire weekend of March 29th-31st (and probably several weekends in April). 

March 30th is the Beta demo day, so I'm looking forward to going and trying out some of their bikes.  As I've done for some time now, I'd encourage 230F riders to take a ride on a 2-stroke Beta (or an older GasGas like I've got).  They've got a lot of the properties that people like of the 230s (low seat height, smaller frame, excellent handling, light-weight, etc.), but with all the things the 230s are missing (real suspension, better ergos, better torque / power, better brakes / clutch, etc.). 

So come on up and ride.  I'm looking forward to riding the Beta 200RR, as it's even smaller and lighter than their already small and light 250s/300s.

Or, don't do that.  The last couple of people I've known to take a test ride like that....sold their bike and bought a new one.  Haha.  😁

• Like 2

And for reference, here's the hard, slow, nasty east-coast extreme enduro that we ride.  15/50 was perfectly fine for it, actually better in my opinion than the stock 13/50.

• Like 2